List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Lost Kritters Refuge & Club House/No bash please

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Lost Kritters Refuge & Club House/No bash please

Started by Blue 501 at 2011/03/14 12:19PM
    Latest post: 2014/04/15 04:24PM, Views: 271109, Replies: 10965
    « 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 » »| page:
    #10291   2013/08/02 10:39AM
    Re: Lost Kritters Refuge & Club House/No bash please
    habbyfan

I just thought I would check in with my Kritter friends to-day

It sounds like you are all having a good summer.

Deceived please come back and check in to give us the low-down on how your travels went.

Blue you are busy as always and thank you for sharing your stories with us.

I watched another Who do You Think You Are. Tim McGraw was the subject,his ancestor Josef Shite was a Palitine and it was established Elvis Presley's ancestor was on the same ship.Cool!!!

Eventually his ancestor made his way to the Shenandoah
    Valley,unfortunately the property he built on was partially on Indian land,he and his family left on the advise of the British and were living in the compound,he and his two sons decided to go back and check on the property and all three paid with their lives.Tim said it was unfortunate but they should not have gone back.
    It also showed a sixteen year old George Washington was
    surveying the Shenandoah and had stayed with the Shite family for the night,they have his diary in the Libary.
    It was a good episode.

#10292   2013/08/02 08:44PM
    Blue 501

Quote habbyfan: I just thought I would check in with my Kritter friends to-day

It sounds like you are all having a good summer.

Deceived please come back and check in to give us the low-down on how your travels went.

Blue you are busy as always and thank you for sharing your stories with us.

I watched another Who do You Think You Are. Tim McGraw was the subject,his ancestor Josef Shite was a Palitine and it was established Elvis Presley's ancestor was on the same ship.Cool!!!

Eventually his ancestor made his way to the Shenandoah
    Valley,unfortunately the property he built on was partially on Indian land,he and his family left on the advise of the British and were living in the compound,he and his two sons decided to go back and check on the property and all three paid with their lives.Tim said it was unfortunate but they should not have gone back.
    It also showed a sixteen year old George Washington was
    surveying the Shenandoah and had stayed with the Shite family for the night,they have his diary in the Libary.
    It was a good episode.

Oh, I am sorry I missed that. I hope they run it again. I am a Palatine descendant too but mine was from the NC colony of New Bern. I think that some went elsewhere.
    I have been to the hospital today to spend a little time with a cousin (Mama's cousin actually). She has a horrible cancer, stage 4, that has practically taken over her whole lung.Cantaloupe size. Way too late for surgery but they are giving her radiation to shrink it & make her more comfortable. She is in a lot of pain & is on oxygen & Oxycontin, like mother. She's about 76 but has always been very active.
    They are rushing to get a power of attorney & other legal papers signed.She lives at the homeplace & they may be transferring the property while she is still able to make decisions. So sad. I cannot believe they (her doctors) allowed this to happen when she was being monitored frequently for an aneurysm. No one thought to do a chest x-ray to find out why she was short of breath and had so much chest pain? The tumor is so big it is pressing on her heart.

#10293   2013/08/03 11:49AM
    habbyfan

So sorry to hear of your cousin,I agree I can not understand the medical profession.

I understand the reluctance to X-ray growing people but the elderly are a different subject.

There is a movie currently with Maggie Smith who I adore *QUARTET* is about the elderly and it is marvelous,funny,sad and so true.

The episode of Who DO You Think You Are was last years NBC series.I watched it in the BIO channel,I saw it last year but watched it again.

Many of these American stories parallel my husbands Ancestry.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/08/03 11:51AM
    #10294   2013/08/03 12:11PM
    Blue 501

I know that a lot of money gets wasted on unnecessary tests-I worked in hospitals for over 40 years. And I know Medicare pays so little that doctors don't want to order tests they might not get paid for but sometimes TPTB are penny wise & pound foolish. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. A simple cholesterol test might have prevented my mother from having a heart attack & saved Medicare & Blue Cross over a million dollars.

#10295   2013/08/03 12:21PM
    Blue 501

I just cleaned up the peach trees. If we had sprayed the peaches, we might have had over a bushel. They set a lot of fruit but we never did any spraying this year & I had limed & fertilized them. The trees look very healthy this year but all the fruit fell prey to worms & fungi. Hard to spray when it rains nearly every day but it has to be done. (or else). I have a good crop of pecans but all of them have black spots on them which is also not good.
    You would think if I paid for the chemicals, the lime, the fertilizer(& applied them) that my husband, who was not working from Mar 7 til this week might have found time to spray them. Over half the trees are on his property. Oh well, when we do all those things and actually get some good fruit, he gives most of it away. He thinks Mother Nature did ALL the work. lol. When I get a bucket of tomatoes together & plan on canning & freezing some of them, I look around and oops-gone! He has taken them to his ex-wife, her husband, and his son. He says "You will have more" but mine seem to ripen the whole crop at once & then they dwindle to nothing. And poof-no more.
    I guess I will not be really able to enjoy a garden until I move back to the coast where I can plant in Mama's rich black bottom soil & harvest what I grow.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/08/03 12:23PM
    #10296   2013/08/05 05:02AM
    Blue 501

Good morning everyone. I talked to my brother. He is willing to be DNA tested & thinks we should go with the most expensive (& most extensive) test b/c we are looking to go back 400 years or more. That will be about $1 per year back but it will be nice to know, once & for all. There is even a Lost Colony project. I have applied to be in it and may get in b/c seven of my family surnames are included in it. Of course, nearly all of them are common English surnames so it may not mean a thing. If I flunk out of that one, there are quite a few that I can probably qualify for. Most of my family branches are among the oldest in North Carolina. I just have a feeling. A man in New Zealand with whom I exchange genealogical information (he is kin to a lot of the people I am kin to & actually gave me information on a direct ancestor that I did not have) is in one of these projects & has matched with a couple of people he did not even know he was related to. When your folks lived in the same area for centuries and it was a relatively small population, it is probably inevitable that you share some DNA with nearly everyone. This early 1800's family from Straits, Cartaret Co., NC is the very first I have found where a cousin married a cousin though, which is astounding.

#10297   2013/08/05 05:04AM
    Blue 501

I brought cherry turnovers and piping hot Russian Caravan tea. Also a pot of peach tea for Suzi. Have a great day everyone.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/08/05 05:05AM
    #10298   2013/08/05 06:10AM
    countryMomof4

*waving to all*

I've spent a few minutes reading the last few pages. I am amazed at the history lessons. ( My favourite subject! ) I am also toying with the idea of trying Ancestry to see what I can learn. I doubt I will find out anything concerning my mother's family but I could probably learn a few things about my father's. It's so much fun to read everything you all are finding out.

I've been out of touch for awhile due to babysitting/moving ( my boys ) and working outdoors. My two oldest sons moved within days of each other so I have been cleaning for the single one and babysitting/cleaning for the other. His wife is quite pregnant and I didn't want her using cleaning solutions/ standing on chairs to reach or on her hands and knees scrubbing. Maybe now I can catch a break and watch my DVR before it's time to harvest our huge crop of pears this year.

Sorry about your cousin Blue. It makes you shake your head sometimes doesn't it? A chest x-ray seems like such a basic test especially when someone has chest pain/ SOB. Unbelievable.

#10299   2013/08/05 11:04AM
    habbyfan

Oh Blue you are the best,I love cherry turnovers,thank you.

I found a relative of my husband I thought was his 2nd greatgrandfather ... they where cousins and shared the same name ... they were from the same town and both were named after their paternal grandfather upon further investigation ... the cousin left Canada and purchased a farm in Vermont ... just luckily I found a book in the library documenting the life of this man or I would have been following the wrong person ... his first wife had died and he married his cousin (so many curve balls so to speak) when going back in history ...

I am having computer troubles and will probably have to invest in a new one ... so if I disappear don't be alarmed ... just like Arnie ... I will be back!!!

#10300   2013/08/06 12:16PM
    Calypso

Hi Kritters!!
    Sounds like everyone is doing well. We're just lazing away the days at the beach. the weather has been great, almost cool.... so much better than the heat wave...
    My garden is doing great and the tomatoes are starting to come in....I have had to buy some tomatoes at the local farmers market.....but my basil is awesome and I have had a few zucs. Love this time of year for the native veggies and fruits. I am going blueberry picking tomorrow, and hope I get enough for muffins, bread, pancakes, plus a lot to freeze. We went clamming this morning early as low tide was about 6:30 AM, but the beach was empty, and we got our bucket amount in no time....Steamers for supper tonight.

There doesn't seem to be as many tourists this year.....especially in our little area....maybe they go for more activity......or the beach house rental prices are higher. Not sure, but I like it, although I can't wait for Sept.

« 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list