List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Lost Kritters Refuge & Club House/No bash please

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Lost Kritters Refuge & Club House/No bash please

Started by Blue 501 at 2011/03/14 12:19PM
    Latest post: 2014/10/30 07:03AM, Views: 323359, Replies: 11429
    « 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 » »| page:
    #10281   2013/07/24 11:42AM
    Re: Lost Kritters Refuge & Club House/No bash please
    Blue 501

Quote Calypso:
    Quote Blue 501:
    Quote habbyfan: Greetings and Salutations!!!

We await the Royal Birth ...

The Dodgers are in town to play the Jays this evening.

The CNE Tower will be alight either in PINK OR BLUE ...

I am praying for no rain, so the roof will be open and looking up the Tower as always looms above the Stadium.

It will be a beautiful site.

How are all my Kritter friends (I hope you don't mind,I consider all of you my friends)

I have brought some English scones with clotted cream strawberries English Breakfast Tea and of course bottles of bubbly and just in case the marsupial one wanders in a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream.

Salut!!!!

Of course we are your friends! Even before you showed up with scones & champagne &all that other lovely stuff.
    First to hear about the royal birth, please post. We wait with bated breath!

Hi Everyone!!

Thanks for the treats, habby.......I love scones and clotted cream, plus the bubbly!! Many of here in the US await the royal birth too, my friend.

deceived, glad you got bit of rain, but it sounds like you need more!!

Blue, so glad Master W said Mama....now we wait for GMama......what will you be called?

CM, hope you garden survived the thunderstorm......

We need rain here, can't believe I'm saying that, but my lawn is scorched and my garden is very dry too.....thank goodness for the hose.

I will be Grandmama. His greatgrandmother says she will settle for Granny & is coaching him to say it every time she sees him. He gives her a big grin.

#10282   2013/07/24 11:50AM
    Calypso

Quote Blue 501:
    Quote Calypso:
    Quote Blue 501:
    Quote habbyfan: Greetings and Salutations!!!

We await the Royal Birth ...

The Dodgers are in town to play the Jays this evening.

The CNE Tower will be alight either in PINK OR BLUE ...

I am praying for no rain, so the roof will be open and looking up the Tower as always looms above the Stadium.

It will be a beautiful site.

How are all my Kritter friends (I hope you don't mind,I consider all of you my friends)

I have brought some English scones with clotted cream strawberries English Breakfast Tea and of course bottles of bubbly and just in case the marsupial one wanders in a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream.

Salut!!!!

Of course we are your friends! Even before you showed up with scones & champagne &all that other lovely stuff.
    First to hear about the royal birth, please post. We wait with bated breath!

Hi Everyone!!

Thanks for the treats, habby.......I love scones and clotted cream, plus the bubbly!! Many of here in the US await the royal birth too, my friend.

deceived, glad you got bit of rain, but it sounds like you need more!!

Blue, so glad Master W said Mama....now we wait for GMama......what will you be called?

CM, hope you garden survived the thunderstorm......

We need rain here, can't believe I'm saying that, but my lawn is scorched and my garden is very dry too.....thank goodness for the hose.

I will be Grandmama. His greatgrandmother says she will settle for Granny & is coaching him to say it every time she sees him. He gives her a big grin.

I love Grandmama!! Master W will say that soon!!

Have to stay out of the sun today....got a bit of a burn and getting to many freckles..... Farmer's market tomorrow! Have a great day....beautiful here...the water looks like the tropics...all turquoise.....

#10283   2013/07/24 11:56AM
    Blue 501

Dobrai Denh! I brought beer, tortilla chips, and two bowls of salsa: hot for me & medium for the rest of you.

And I brought a tidbit of history that thrills me. They have documented the remains of a Spanish fort near Morganton, NC that predates the Lost Colony by 20 years. It was built in 1567. I was aware there was an early Spanish settlement at Georgetown, South Carolina, largely because a friend of mine wrote his history thesis on it but did not know the Spanish had established settlements in NC. They think there may have been six of them but this is the first one they have proved. They think it was wiped out by the Indians. Like the English settlers, the Spanish expected to be fed by the Indians but they ran out of things to trade for food. I imagine they resorted to violence against the Indians, to take what they wanted, and their settlements were destroyed by the Indians. If the colonists had listened to the lessons the Indians tried to teach them, they would have had plenty of food. For instance, the coastal Indians taught the English how to make the nets they used to catch fish in abundance but the English insisted on catching them one at a time on a line. Hard to feed a whole colony like that, even if it was more "fun" to do it that way. Oysters were so abundant you could walk across a lot of rivers at low tide w/o getting your shoes wet by stepping on the oysters. The Indians smoked & dried fish & oysters in the summer & fall. The Europeans could have done that too but they were too busy hunting for gold. Once they had shot & killed some locals, it was hard for them to forage without getting filled with arrows. Poor management!

#10284   2013/07/24 12:04PM
    Calypso

Quote Blue 501: Dobrai Denh! I brought beer, tortilla chips, and two bowls of salsa: hot for me & medium for the rest of you.

And I brought a tidbit of history that thrills me. They have documented the remains of a Spanish fort near Morganton, NC that predates the Lost Colony by 20 years. It was built in 1567. I was aware there was an early Spanish settlement at Georgetown, South Carolina, largely because a friend of mine wrote his history thesis on it but did not know the Spanish had established settlements in NC. They think there may have been six of them but this is the first one they have proved. They think it was wiped out by the Indians. Like the English settlers, the Spanish expected to be fed by the Indians but they ran out of things to trade for food. I imagine they resorted to violence against the Indians, to take what they wanted, and their settlements were destroyed by the Indians. If the colonists had listened to the lessons the Indians tried to teach them, they would have had plenty of food. For instance, the coastal Indians taught the English how to make the nets they used to catch fish in abundance but the English insisted on catching them one at a time on a line. Hard to feed a whole colony like that, even if it was more "fun" to do it that way. Oysters were so abundant you could walk across a lot of rivers at low tide w/o getting your shoes wet by stepping on the oysters. The Indians smoked & dried fish & oysters in the summer & fall. The Europeans could have done that too but they were too busy hunting for gold. Once they had shot & killed some locals, it was hard for them to forage without getting filled with arrows. Poor management!

Love your history stories Blue...The Wampanoags had similar stories here with the settlers....but I'm not as versed in the legends as you. Wish i were.....

#10285   2013/07/24 03:12PM
    Blue 501

Quote Calypso:
    Quote Blue 501: Dobrai Denh! I brought beer, tortilla chips, and two bowls of salsa: hot for me & medium for the rest of you.

Love your history stories Blue...The Wampanoags had similar stories here with the settlers....but I'm not as versed in the legends as you. Wish i were.....

I have a small obsession with the North Carolina Indians so I have been studying them for a very long time. As an amateur of course, though I would have enjoyed helping out with digs if my vacation time had been more flexible. I have some family connections to the earliest colonies and, you have probably heard me say before, I feel I have Indian ancestry on at least three separate lines.
    It is very tedious work. A friend (sixth cousin) was an archeologist and did some work in Central America. He says he worked for beans, slept in a hammock, & developed an addiction to Kaopectate. He went back to school & went into Pharmacy.
    You go over a grid of ground with dental tools, sieves, etc., so you will not miss a single thing. Not so much as a nut hull or seed.
    It is thrilling when you finally find some proof though, like a signet ring that can be traced to an early Nobleman. They have been working on the Cuenco settlement & Fort San Juan site for nearly 30 years & finally found the fort itself, usually identified by post marks (usually darker than the surrounding earth).
    North Carolina is probably filled with treasures such as this but very hard to get the funds to excavate them, plus they are usually on someone's farm. No telling how many sites have just been paved over. OT, they recently found Richard III's remains under a parking lot in England. (I think it was III, the one who was Duke of Gloucester who was king for a couple of years, during which time his two nephews (the Princes in the Tower) disappeared forever. They were in line for the throne but he had them declared illegitimate. If he is the one who killed them, he might as well have let them live. In a couple of years, he was dead (at Bosworth Field?) & Henry Tudor (Henry VI?) was on the throne. Sorry, too lazy to look everything up & verify it. If anyone wants to correct me, please chime in. I will not be offended in the least.

#10286   2013/07/24 04:21PM
    habbyfan

Quote Blue 501:
    Quote Calypso:

I have a small obsession with the North Carolina Indians so I have been studying them for a very long time. As an amateur of course, though I would have enjoyed helping out with digs if my vacation time had been more flexible. I have some family connections to the earliest colonies and, you have probably heard me say before, I feel I have Indian ancestry on at least three separate lines.
    It is very tedious work. A friend (sixth cousin) was an archeologist and did some work in Central America. He says he worked for beans, slept in a hammock, & developed an addiction to Kaopectate. He went back to school & went into Pharmacy.
    You go over a grid of ground with dental tools, sieves, etc., so you will not miss a single thing. Not so much as a nut hull or seed.
    It is thrilling when you finally find some proof though, like a signet ring that can be traced to an early Nobleman. They have been working on the Cuenco settlement & Fort San Juan site for nearly 30 years & finally found the fort itself, usually identified by post marks (usually darker than the surrounding earth).
    North Carolina is probably filled with treasures such as this but very hard to get the funds to excavate them, plus they are usually on someone's farm. No telling how many sites have just been paved over. OT, they recently found Richard III's remains under a parking lot in England. (I think it was III, the one who was Duke of Gloucester who was king for a couple of years, during which time his two nephews (the Princes in the Tower) disappeared forever. They were in line for the throne but he had them declared illegitimate. If he is the one who killed them, he might as well have let them live. In a couple of years, he was dead (at Bosworth Field?) & Henry Tudor (Henry VI?) was on the throne. Sorry, too lazy to look everything up & verify it. If anyone wants to correct me, please chime in. I will not be offended in the least.

Great stories Blue, I love history it isn't pretty but interesting just the same...

I watched Who do You Think You Are last night ... I love that show...

I love Grandmama Blue

I am Grandma to my Grandchildren ... my own mother chose Nanny, I will never know why. I always felt I would take whatever came out of their mouths but when one day my grandson called me Gran...I said Oh No not that.

Calypso it all sounds so great, I know what you mean about the water and I don't even like the water, It is pretty to look at, when we are at the cottage my daughter and Son-in-law take the kids down to the beach every night to watch the sunset.

The weather has cooled down for a few days it is a nice change from the oppressive heat we had last week.

#10287   2013/07/28 09:05AM
    Blue 501

Good morning! I brought you fried green tomatoes, fresh tomato for sandwiches, slightly warmed country ham, and a bowl of cheese grits. Sumatran coffee & Russian Caravan tea. Watermelon for dessert!

And I have a piece of exciting news (for me). I found a web site and there is a Society of the Palatines with an NC chapter & there is a program at the Grifton Historical Museum in Grifton on Oct 26. They have an Indian village (Tuscarora) on the premises. I have been madly chatting about it with a man named David French. I ps'ed "Are you a descendant of the Onslow County Frenches?" YES, HE IS! Woo Hoo.(1700's). They were neighbors & kin folks to my ancestors who owned a mill on French's Creek.
    David also sent me a link for getting my DNA checked. One of the Rhodes family, another early 18th century Onslow family who are my my ancestors, had his checked and it came up that he was 15% American Indian. I don't think I have that much but I think I have some. I am a light creamy tan year round, have high cheek bones & now tht I am older, I have had people come up to me & ask if I am Native American.
    Also, there is a man named David La Vere who has written 7 books, the latest being "A Country Wild and Imperfect: Life and Death in NC's Tuscarora War 1711-1715". I can't wait to find some of his books. This is a subject of intense interest to me because I think I had ancestors killed in this war (& possibly also ancestors doing the killing).
    Also, one more. I have been told by the Shrimp Festival Committee that an article of mine is going to be in the Brochure this year. It is a big festival with a parade & a Queen & Princess & bands & 4 kinds of shrimp to eat. I am nervous b/c it's my rough draft & I TOLD the chairman that & said if she liked it I would polish it but found out, too late, that she liked it just the way it was so I hope it is not going to be an embarrassment.

#10288   2013/07/30 10:30AM
    Calypso

Hi Kritters!!

Having a few lazy beach days here....great weather and have spent a lot of time at the beach...my freckles are out of control...lol

The captain and I took out our kayaks yesterday and paddled around the bay...beautiful time....took our lunch and pulled our kayaks up to a small beach only accessed by water.....wonderful time.....even going back to the landing, we were clear, no rough water or currents...

Not always the case...one time we had to pull our kayaks though the shore water, because of the wind and currents....was not a fun time....but we made it back....and vowed to make sure we had lines with us the next time. Lesson learned.

Another time I was waiting at the boat launch with the kayaks, getting ready while the captain put the car into parking.....As he returned he said "What was that?" I said must have ben a boat....no boat but a small pilot whale, who showed himself on the way by...I was in awe. You never know what you'll see on the ocean.....

Have a wonderful day ....the snack is fresh baked Nantucket Blueberry Bread....our native blueberries are ready!!!!

#10289   2013/07/30 11:28AM
    deceived

Blue and all the gang... have you all read the 'Patchwork Mysteries' by Guideposts? They have 6 books in all the series. In them are mysteries with quilts, food, ancestors, Victorian houses, family history, ways to find family histories and ancestors... anyways... please look into these books, they are wonderful books to read at night with your evening cup of tea before you go off to sleep... and they have church scenes, etc...

Anyways... beginning this weekend, you probably won't see much of me on here for awhile... I will be traveling for about a month, then maybe back on depending on these silly S/Ls I have better things to do with my time these days...

#10290   2013/08/02 05:32AM
    Blue 501

Quote deceived: Blue and all the gang... have you all read the 'Patchwork Mysteries' by Guideposts? They have 6 books in all the series. In them are mysteries with quilts, food, ancestors, Victorian houses, family history, ways to find family histories and ancestors... anyways... please look into these books, they are wonderful books to read at night with your evening cup of tea before you go off to sleep... and they have church scenes, etc...

Anyways... beginning this weekend, you probably won't see much of me on here for awhile... I will be traveling for about a month, then maybe back on depending on these silly S/Ls I have better things to do with my time these days...

Have fun, Deceived. I am trying to think of a few short outings I can go on. Alex says she will look out for Mama while I go visit with a cousin & go to the Shrimp Festival.
    Here is something I did not know: North Carolina has been the setting for 800 films now. Dirty Dancing was filmed at Lake Lure, not in the Catskills. They have a Dirty Dancing contest every year in August. That would be fun to watch,esp. if you were a good dancer too. I had a friend who was the greatest but he got thrown off one of the tv dance shows b/c they thought he was a bit risque' (this was in the days when they made the Rolling Stones change "Let's Spend the Night Together" to "Let's Spend Some Time Together" b4 they could sing on the Ed Sullivan Show). Or it could have been b/c Bud's sister cut every other thread in the inseam of his chartreuse zoot pants so that the next time he did a split, they fell off him. LOLOLOL She did it b/c he told their Mama she was smoking.

« 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list