List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Soapnet Goes Off the Air...

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Soapnet Goes Off the Air...

Started by Caprica at 2011/02/12 07:14AM
    Latest post: 2011/02/13 06:07AM, Views: 6114, Replies: 22
    « 1 2 3 » »| page:
    #11   2011/02/12 08:32AM
    Re: Soapnet Goes Off the Air...
    GABluebird

Quote EdgeOfNight: I watch young and Restless but am not a nielsen ratings viewer and I don't know anyone who has been.DVR viewing is the only thing one can do to help show people are viewing but like the person before me, Advertisers think people fast forward thru them.

I have a friend who is a Nielsen ratings viewer. They say when their contract is up they will get rid of it. I have been there while trying to watch a show. It is such a pain in the a$$. Every few minutes the show will revert back to a starting point and they have to enter their show again. I don't know how it works but they get all channels for free but with so many constant interruptions, it is hard to really enjoy your show. Maybe someone on this board has this and could explain it better.

#12   2011/02/12 08:35AM
    Caprica

Quote Gleek Fan: I don't blame the writers, I blame it on more and more women in the work force because of the economy and less time for watching a "soap" by the time most working women get home, get dinner on the table, make sure the kids homework is done, get the in the tub and in bed, then it's dishes and laundry, pick up the house, get clothes ready for the next day, spend some time with the DH, what time is left for a SOAP OPERA! their life is a soap opera!

sure we watch on SOAPNET but shows are not included in the ratings, sure we watch on DVR where we can FF over commercials and scenes with our least favorites or least favorite storylines, it is like watch "cliff notes"!!

we have killed soaps, not the writers!

I blame the writers for not keeping up with the changing times. Soaps are still using a 19th Century model to write a show for 21st Century women. In other words, soaps are dinosaurs. More working women would take the show and watch it IF soaps were interesting to them or if they could relate to the characters. Soaps don't appeal to most young women today.

#13   2011/02/12 08:53AM
    Karennnnn

If soaps go then I will only have to watch American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, Police women of Cincinnati (ooo thats a good one on TLC) The World's Worse... and Maury. I can spend much more time on my computer! Go ahead and take 'em off! There are a lot of things to love in cyberland!!

#14   2011/02/12 09:19AM
    Caprica

Quote Gleek Fan:
    Quote Caprica:
    Quote Gleek Fan: I don't blame the writers, I blame it on more and more women in the work force because of the economy and less time for watching a "soap" by the time most working women get home, get dinner on the table, make sure the kids homework is done, get the in the tub and in bed, then it's dishes and laundry, pick up the house, get clothes ready for the next day, spend some time with the DH, what time is left for a SOAP OPERA! their life is a soap opera!

sure we watch on SOAPNET but shows are not included in the ratings, sure we watch on DVR where we can FF over commercials and scenes with our least favorites or least favorite storylines, it is like watch "cliff notes"!!

I blame the writers for not keeping up with the changing times. Soaps are still using a 19th Century model to write a show for 21st Century women. In other words, soaps are dinosaurs. More working women would take the show and watch it IF soaps were interesting to them or if they could relate to the characters. Soaps don't appeal to most young women today.

but they have evolved, I remember when women on soaps were all just housewives, their only drama was Billy having bad grades, trust me soap women were in aprons and in the kitchen! I remember things did not change until the early mid 70's > Ruth Martin had an abortion and Erica Kane went from high school floozie to model overnight on AMV, Carla Gray on OLTL was passing for a white woman working as a secretary for the top Doctor @ Llanview Hosptial while her mother Sadie worked in the laundry room or cafeteria I don't remember which, no one knew because Sadie was Black and Carla was fair skinned! and Vicki was running the newspaper with her husband Joe Riley!, yeah some storyline's suck, there has always been sucky storylines! now they just want to grab your attention! sensationalizm! they are trying to keep up with reality TV!

I didn't know about any of this. So from what you post here, things have changed. When Latham was writing the show, women were much stronger and more interesting. If she had continued with the show, I believe she would have attracted many more young women. I remember Nikki running for the senate against Jack. Latham went a little to far with Nikki, but I loved how strong, smart and ambitious Nikki was. Ditto for Phyllis, Kay and other women. The men don't fair any better, they are so one dimentional and shallow.

#15   2011/02/12 09:42AM
    lulujaz

More women in the workforce and DVR has definitely changed the way we watch soaps. I love soap net. It's the way I get to watch ALL the soaps as well as Ryan's Hope classic eppys. There are a zillion kids channels on. This one was one for us grownups. Alas, it just goes to show how little the networks think of soaps and the audience who loves them. I think that the whole soap opera genre may be gone in a decade. Young people are not into soaps, only those insipid reality shows. They also wreck soaps by interjecting these stupid teen story lines. soaps are for adults. Why do I want to see stupid teen story lines. We were all teenagers once and survived it. Why do the writers think that grown women want to watch the angst of a bunch of harmone ravaged high schoolers? But I digress. for working women without DVRs SoapNet was the way to enjoy the soaps. Sorry it's going away.

#16   2011/02/12 10:38PM
    over the coals

Well I use to get Soapnet and Discovery health, When Discovery health changed to The Oprah network they up the price to a extended programming and if you didnt pay it you lost Soapnet and a few others. Doesnt Oprah have enough? Why did she have to take my 2 favs away?

#17   2011/02/12 11:55PM
    Eppy

My Soap Net already left my screen about a year and a half ago. My server, Charter Communications, moved it to the way upper channels where were are required to buy into the service we don't really want or need. So, I just watch Y&R by watching them online at the network that airs the show.

#18   2011/02/13 12:40AM
    Eppy

Quote Caprica:

Even back in the olden days when I was young, I still couldn't relate to the women in the soaps. Nothing new about that! And wonder of wonders, way back then, women were working outside the home in all sorts of jobs. The only difference, we didn't have VCR, DVD players or computers to go online and watch shows. I was lucky because quite often I worked the swing shift so could watch during the day. I still couldn't relate and that, as I said, was way back in the days of the dinosaurs.

So, what kind of a NEW woman would you have the writers, write for? The working woman, the stay at home mom, the independent woman, the HO-type woman? It seems they are already writing that type of woman. I think they should simply write storylines that make sense, have some continuity and plausibility. To me, that is what is lacking in today's soaps.

« 1 2 3 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list