List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: SPOILER:TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

SPOILER:TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT

Started by calivy at 2007/04/16 07:09AM
    Latest post: 2007/04/19 01:47AM, Views: 2494, Replies: 77
    « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » »| page:
    #51   2007/04/17 06:33AM
    Re: SPOILER:TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT
    KeepingItReal

Quote Soulsistah: I think it's okay for fans to lament the downward turn in the quality of the writing...I agree with that opinion. This show was a lot classier before the new writing regime. Apparently, the old adage is still true - "sex sells" and that apparently is what a lot of people want to see on soaps nowadays. My problem with this is that daytime soaps is NOT prime time and there is (or was) a distinction for a reason.

When is all is said and done, to each his own. But for those who decry the shoddy, sensationalistic sexual style of the writing for more and more storylines of late, there are many others out there who feel the same way - and are writing the show to voice that opinion and, yes, some are tuning out as well. It is what it is.

ITA!! I flick off!! TV, media everthing has a responsibility.....given the circumstances of all that happen in this world.

A line has to be drawn somewhere.

My prayers are with all the families who lost someone yesterday and to the people of this world where this tragedy has touched you.

God Bless

#52   2007/04/17 07:07AM
    NotSoYButStillR

About the subject of children and soap operas, when I was about 3 or 4 I happened to watch a soap for a few minutes that my Mom was watching. There was a scene with a person falling down an empty elevator shaft - I can tell you that I did not want to go in an elevator for a really long time!

#53   2007/04/17 07:10AM
    SouthernLady

Quote NotSoYButStillR: About the subject of children and soap operas, when I was about 3 or 4 I happened to watch a soap for a few minutes that my Mom was watching. There was a scene with a person falling down an empty elevator shaft - I can tell you that I did not want to go in an elevator for a really long time!

and i had nightmares w/disney movies....the killing of bambi's mom...the killing of old yeller.....

#54   2007/04/17 07:27AM
    kimyla

Quote nyaccent:
    Quote jackspaniel:
    Quote SouthernLady: plus...i don't think a 5 year old is going to understand the lustier comments..etc......even if viewed.....

Good point! And I think it is the mother's responsibility to see that the 5 year old is watching Sesame Street or whatever (that's what it was when my kids were little) instead of Y & R. The writers are not writing the show for children nor should they. Soaps are not children's programing. If a mother thinks her child should not be watching then she should shut the TV off and tape Y&R and watch it after her child is in bed.

Lol, I always post before I get to the end of the thread...and that is exactly what I said and how I feel.. Well said.... Finally we agree on something lol...

ITA.. Sex is what sales these days and there has ALWAYS been sex in the soaps.. The soaps is not somewhere you want to be teaching a young child about family values. That would fall under the parents responsiblity to teach them.. If someone does not like what they see, then they can always turn the channel and watch something else and something that is age appropiate. I know when my kids were little, they were not watching soaps and neither was I. I had no time for soaps. I was at work, or we were watching Barney or Sesame Street. Something that was age appropiate for them, or we were going to the park and zoo.

#55   2007/04/17 07:33AM
    KeepingItReal

Teens watch the show also.

#56   2007/04/17 07:42AM
    kimyla

Quote KeepingItReal: Teens watch the show also.

Oh don't you know that.. I was a teen when I started watching Y&R.. Then I watched to see Danny, Snapper & Paul.

#57   2007/04/17 09:55AM
    StaceyT

Sad thing is: Sex use to be taboo and now it is such a common accepted thing. It is a action not an emotion, and soaps are just a drop in a bucket. So much music, movies, reality tv and all the other doozies from the wonderful world of cable are accessed by our youth. I think it all boils down to us parents and how we teach our children and the morals and values we instill in them JMHO!

#58   2007/04/17 10:20AM
    Shawty7583

It doesn't bother me too much. i certainly wouldn't want my daughter to watch it, but I am a grown woman and it is entertaining. I do not agree with Victoria sleeping with someone else while she is pregnant with Brad's baby, that is wrong in so many ways!

#59   2007/04/17 12:07PM
    Soulsistah

If that flies, that'll just be a all-time low in the writing, IMO

#60   2007/04/17 01:09PM
    ILuvNY

You're so right, Stacey!
    I agree with the fact that soaps aren't for children and it's the parents responsibility to keep them from watching them. In speaking with my students, I can tell you (sorry to say this ) many parents don't even know what their children are watching. So many kids have a television in their rooms and watch whatever they want. Also, my friend used to own a video store. Parents would go there with their toddlers and would tell the child to pick out a video. They were renting movies like the "Chuckie" movies for 4 year olds. In a perfect world, parents would be responsible enough to monitor watch their kids watch...obviously, we don't live in a perfect world!
    Y & R IS the best and most tasteful soap on TV...lately,(can you say Kevin watching Jill & Ji Min) it's slipped. JUST MY OPINION!

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2007/04/17 01:11PM
    « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list