List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Soaps In Depth Magazine

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Soaps In Depth Magazine

Started by sywebb at 2007/04/07 07:18PM
    Latest post: 2007/04/12 03:08PM, Views: 2216, Replies: 48
    « 1 2 3 4 5 » »| page:
    #21   2007/04/10 06:14AM
    Re: Soaps In Depth Magazine
    tnarg77

Quote sywebb: Did anyone read the lastest issue of Soaps In Depth? I won't to know why Victoria Rowell is really leaving. If anyone read it -- post it on the message board.

I had read a while a back in a soap mag that she had asked to write & they turned her down....I can't remember what magazine it was though..

#22   2007/04/10 11:14AM
    Soulsistah

Quote Dallas Cowgirl: It would have to be sorta like libel, not slander, but I don't see anything libelous about repeating what one has read and what is easily available for anyone to read on the internet.

What does occur to me with all these rumors is that there has been a major shakeup with a new executive producer and new writers. That much is fact. If they told VR that her contribution to the show was going to change from her arrangement with the prior staff, she could be upset but she would have to live with it. That would be their call unless it is in her contract.

I hated the way they were writing her in the Carmen story. That was not the character I had come to know and she looked ridiculous half the time so I can understand VR's displeasure. As far as her scenes with MS, I cannot imagine who might be behind that or what the reason might be, but I thought the way Lily found out her paternity was lame and perhaps whoever the person was who threw his/her weight around may have felt the same way.

But then one has to wonder why she wanted nothing to do with the cast (which she freely admits) and if that was so before the Emmy process. It does not sound like she had many friends there if she did not get Emmy support. I would expect that would almost be a given on any cast but I admit I don't understand why the Emmy's are so political. That's a shame. I would just prefer that all contenders get the same shot but that is probably naive.

I actually felt her performance in prior years was far more deserving of an Emmy nod. I hated the way she was written this year. If she objected to it as reported, it seems kind of a contradiction to think she was snubbed for an Emmy if she didn't like how she was written, doesn't it?

I agree with everything you've said re the writers and new EP, LML. Major shake-ups have occured.

However, my understanding is VR didn't socialize outside of working hours with any of her castmates, including when she was on Diagnosis Murder, as a personal rule of thumb. Plus, she's so active in the community, she was always very busy outside the show when not taping. As for her character, I think Dru gave an outstanding performance during the eligibility period for her work i.e year ending 2006 (I may be incorrect on that). I think she started to be written as "wacko" at the beginning of this year...someone can refresh my memory as to when her "Dru goes wack" s/l began - as I think it was at the tail end of her entire body of work for the period. I think VR was happy with her performance up to that point and felt she should be considered for an emmy-prenom. Why else would she have felt so upset upon being snubbed? I am assuming on the time lines of her s/l, but I think in the interviews she's given she was looking at the caliber of her work for the duration of the year of eligibility.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2007/04/10 02:15PM
    #23   2007/04/10 12:47PM
    pdames4

Quote SharringSucks: geeze accusing MS and MTS of having the power to minimize VR acting roles and who she works with on the show, you are giving them more power than I think the have. And since it has been noted by the mods, that sometimes the actors do read the threads on this board, that is sorta like, slander isn't it.

Being a woman of color myself, I think playing the so called race card is a slam against VR and her multiple talants. In 2007 we should not be describing an actor by their race, but by their talent. The character of Dru went from a street smart illiterate girl, to being a well spoken model and buisness woman, to be a thug and a mental case, which is a slap in the face of the history of Dru and the talents of VR.

I don't know about playing the "race card" Not what these posts were about. If you are trying to read between the lines, you aren't doing a hellava good job of it. However, you are entitled to your opinion and I'll leave it at that.

#24   2007/04/10 12:49PM
    pdames4

Quote Dallas Cowgirl: It would have to be sorta like libel, not slander, but I don't see anything libelous about repeating what one has read and what is easily available for anyone to read on the internet.

What does occur to me with all these rumors is that there has been a major shakeup with a new executive producer and new writers. That much is fact. If they told VR that her contribution to the show was going to change from her arrangement with the prior staff, she could be upset but she would have to live with it. That would be their call unless it is in her contract.

I hated the way they were writing her in the Carmen story. That was not the character I had come to know and she looked ridiculous half the time so I can understand VR's displeasure. As far as her scenes with MS, I cannot imagine who might be behind that or what the reason might be, but I thought the way Lily found out her paternity was lame and perhaps whoever the person was who threw his/her weight around may have felt the same way.

But then one has to wonder why she wanted nothing to do with the cast (which she freely admits) and if that was so before the Emmy process. It does not sound like she had many friends there if she did not get Emmy support. I would expect that would almost be a given on any cast but I admit I don't understand why the Emmy's are so political. That's a shame. I would just prefer that all contenders get the same shot but that is probably naive.

I actually felt her performance in prior years was far more deserving of an Emmy nod. I hated the way she was written this year. If she objected to it as reported, it seems kind of a contradiction to think she was snubbed for an Emmy if she didn't like how she was written, doesn't it?

Great Thoughts!

#25   2007/04/10 03:25PM
    jackspaniel

Quote anadea:
    Quote Soulsistah:
    Quote pdames4:
    Quote nyaccent: She was upset that she wasn't nominated for a daytime emmy award.... is what I heard.

I've done a lot of research on this. There are a lot of rumors and it is almost impossible to discern fact from rumor. So I think it probably was a potpourri of stuff. I also went to her website. here are some of the reasons given. As I just said fact or fiction you decide.

-Upset about Davetta Sherwood firing

-Upset that unable to write for show. It has been done before-Francessa James(Ithink that's heer name) Vicky on OLTL- Daisy on AMC)
    Ellen Wheeler-Marly on Another World Cindy on AMC-now Executive Producer of Guiding Light. She's written for all the soaps.

For me , here is where it gets tricky..I don't know if these actresses were also acting on any soap at the time they were writng and producing. If Victoria wanted to continue in the role of Dru and write then I understand how that could be a problem. Howeever, if these other actresses were doing this, then maybe there isn't a conflict. I don't know.

-Upset that Y&R dropped the ball with her and Phyllis' screentime together. She thought they had really good chemistry, but according to Victoria-another actor complained and did not want them onscreen together. I've been trying to figure out who has that much clout. I could be wrong...I'm thinking Melanie because her husband is either producer or director. Don't quote me though.

-Upset about not being nominated. On her website www.victoriarowell.com -the fans wrote to the show. The show said they placed her name in but she did not receive enough votes from her peers,the writing staff, producers and directors.

-Really wants to concentrate on writng and working behind the camera. There you have it.

Thanks Pdames4 - I've read the same things in various publications, as well as VR's website. While we may never know who asked for VR and MS'scenes to be diminished, my guess is MS. Again, this is my guess, I have no hard proof to back it up. JMO.

But I did read the article in CBS Soaps In Depth - as the cover story boldy states VR - "The reasons Why I'm Leaving".
    In this interview she pretty much says the straw that kinda broke the camel's back was her pre-nom snub for an emmy. As indicated on her website, she says the voting process is "contaminated" and goes into more detail. While she is juggling her book tour, other writing projects, and she did in fact want to write more for the show (as she had been instrumental in her own character's scripts under creator Bill Bell Sr., and former head writers Jack Smith and Kay Alden), this particular article made it clear that she was very hurt by the pre-nom snub by her castmates...the issue is still on newsstands for those who want to read it.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

To me also! I also think you have to be pretty "full of yourself" to quit because you don't get nominated for a emmy. There are lots of actresses - they can't all get nominated. And also - I would think if she were writing episodes that she certainly could not be acting also - big conflict of interest.

#26   2007/04/10 04:51PM
    OspreyGirl

Quote Soulsistah:

I agree with everything you've said re the writers and new EP, LML. Major shake-ups have occured.

However, my understanding is VR didn't socialize outside of working hours with any of her castmates, including when she was on Diagnosis Murder, as a personal rule of thumb. Plus, she's so active in the community, she was always very busy outside the show when not taping. As for her character, I think Dru gave an outstanding performance during the eligibility period for her work i.e year ending 2006 (I may be incorrect on that). I think she started to be written as "wacko" at the beginning of this year...someone can refresh my memory as to when her "Dru goes wack" s/l began - as I think it was at the tail end of her entire body of work for the period. I think VR was happy with her performance up to that point and felt she should be considered for an emmy-prenom. Why else would she have felt so upset upon being snubbed? I am assuming on the time lines of her s/l, but I think in the interviews she's given she was looking at the caliber of her work for the duration of the year of eligibility.

I didn't like the Carmen storyline either but I couldn't help but nod and say 'Go Dru' for going after Carmen the way she did--I would have burned down the apartment and knocked Carmen the hell to boot for trying to seduce Neil...I didn't like the 'Dru insane asylum' crap that the writers wrote for her--she was stressed out not crazy, plus David Chow was playing games with Inez to make Dru more paranoid. Regardless though of whether it was a poor or good storyline, I still think VR's body of work was and always has been Emmy worthy for years! This past year was no exception--I could have seen two nominations from Y&R, one for VR and one for Michelle Stafford.

VR has gotten over 14 NAACP image awards for her work. I'm at a lost on how the Emmy academy couln't see her worthy of an award. I know there are some strong actresses out there who haven't ever gotten an Emmy or a nomination, but dang...it just doesn't seem right. She had a lot of clout just bringing in the audiences she did to tune into the show without her having to resort to some juvenile peer pressure amongst 36 people to "like her" instead of awarding her talent. Bollocks!

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2007/04/10 04:52PM
    « 1 2 3 4 5 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list