List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: Soaps In Depth Magazine

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Soaps In Depth Magazine

Started by sywebb at 2007/04/07 07:18PM
    Latest post: 2007/04/12 03:08PM, Views: 2366, Replies: 48
    « 1 2 3 4 5 » »| page:
    #11   2007/04/08 05:07PM
    Re: Soaps In Depth Magazine
    Soulsistah

Quote pdames4:
    Quote nyaccent: She was upset that she wasn't nominated for a daytime emmy award.... is what I heard.

I've done a lot of research on this. There are a lot of rumors and it is almost impossible to discern fact from rumor. So I think it probably was a potpourri of stuff. I also went to her website. here are some of the reasons given. As I just said fact or fiction you decide.

-Upset about Davetta Sherwood firing

-Upset that unable to write for show. It has been done before-Francessa James(Ithink that's heer name) Vicky on OLTL- Daisy on AMC)
    Ellen Wheeler-Marly on Another World Cindy on AMC-now Executive Producer of Guiding Light. She's written for all the soaps.

For me , here is where it gets tricky..I don't know if these actresses were also acting on any soap at the time they were writng and producing. If Victoria wanted to continue in the role of Dru and write then I understand how that could be a problem. Howeever, if these other actresses were doing this, then maybe there isn't a conflict. I don't know.

-Upset that Y&R dropped the ball with her and Phyllis' screentime together. She thought they had really good chemistry, but according to Victoria-another actor complained and did not want them onscreen together. I've been trying to figure out who has that much clout. I could be wrong...I'm thinking Melanie because her husband is either producer or director. Don't quote me though.

-Upset about not being nominated. On her website www.victoriarowell.com -the fans wrote to the show. The show said they placed her name in but she did not receive enough votes from her peers,the writing staff, producers and directors.

-Really wants to concentrate on writng and working behind the camera. There you have it.

Thanks Pdames4 - I've read the same things in various publications, as well as VR's website. While we may never know who asked for VR and MS'scenes to be diminished, my guess is MS. Again, this is my guess, I have no hard proof to back it up. JMO.

But I did read the article in CBS Soaps In Depth - as the cover story boldy states VR - "The reasons Why I'm Leaving".
    In this interview she pretty much says the straw that kinda broke the camel's back was her pre-nom snub for an emmy. As indicated on her website, she says the voting process is "contaminated" and goes into more detail. While she is juggling her book tour, other writing projects, and she did in fact want to write more for the show (as she had been instrumental in her own character's scripts under creator Bill Bell Sr., and former head writers Jack Smith and Kay Alden), this particular article made it clear that she was very hurt by the pre-nom snub by her castmates...the issue is still on newsstands for those who want to read it.

#12   2007/04/08 05:44PM
    Soulsistah

It can sound like whatever, but it is what it is.

#13   2007/04/08 08:53PM
    OspreyGirl

Quote Soulsistah:
    Quote pdames4:
    Quote nyaccent: She was upset that she wasn't nominated for a daytime emmy award.... is what I heard.

I've done a lot of research on this. There are a lot of rumors and it is almost impossible to discern fact from rumor. So I think it probably was a potpourri of stuff. I also went to her website. here are some of the reasons given. As I just said fact or fiction you decide.

-Upset that unable to write for show. It has been done before-Francessa James(Ithink that's heer name) Vicky on OLTL- Daisy on AMC)
    Ellen Wheeler-Marly on Another World Cindy on AMC-now Executive Producer of Guiding Light. She's written for all the soaps.

For me , here is where it gets tricky..I don't know if these actresses were also acting on any soap at the time they were writng and producing. If Victoria wanted to continue in the role of Dru and write then I understand how that could be a problem. Howeever, if these other actresses were doing this, then maybe there isn't a conflict. I don't know.

-Upset that Y&R dropped the ball with her and Phyllis' screentime together. She thought they had really good chemistry, but according to Victoria-another actor complained and did not want them onscreen together. I've been trying to figure out who has that much clout. I could be wrong...I'm thinking Melanie because her husband is either producer or director. Don't quote me though.

-Upset about not being nominated. On her website www.victoriarowell.com -the fans wrote to the show. The show said they placed her name in but she did not receive enough votes from her peers,the writing staff, producers and directors.

-Really wants to concentrate on writng and working behind the camera. There you have it.

Thanks Pdames4 - I've read the same things in various publications, as well as VR's website. While we may never know who asked for VR and MS'scenes to be diminished, my guess is MS. Again, this is my guess, I have no hard proof to back it up. JMO.

But I did read the article in CBS Soaps In Depth - as the cover story boldy states VR - "The reasons Why I'm Leaving".
    In this interview she pretty much says the straw that kinda broke the camel's back was her pre-nom snub for an emmy. As indicated on her website, she says the voting process is "contaminated" and goes into more detail. While she is juggling her book tour, other writing projects, and she did in fact want to write more for the show (as she had been instrumental in her own character's scripts under creator Bill Bell Sr., and former head writers Jack Smith and Kay Alden), this particular article made it clear that she was very hurt by the pre-nom snub by her castmates...the issue is still on newsstands for those who want to read it.

I agree with you about your suspicion that it was MS. I can't put my finger on it yet but I have a sneaking suspicion that having Nikki leave town to go to Madison right before the Dru/cliff issue--this was planned.

I can tell that when EB (Victor) was in scenes with the Winters that he seemed very hurt that Dru was gone...

Also, I really can't see how much a conflict of interest it would have been having Victoria write for the show--that lame excuse telling her 'it has never been done before' doesn't mean that it couldn't be done...to me personally, that was a big time discriminatory move on TPTB towards VR to suggest that as an artist, she has limitations only in acting.

It speaks volumes to me that VR was given so much leverage to write/re-write alot of her lines--this is unfortunately indicative of having a Hollywood writing staff who are culturally biased of how to authentically 'give voice' to characters who are non-Caucasian. I'm glad that VR did have dialogue that was authentic enough that most women of color speak--I would have had a hard time believing Drucilla as a reformed homeless dancer from the streets if her character was written to speak like Nikki.

I don't believe that the current head writer LML and/or those who have to do with the scripts get it--and their work speak for themselves...we get rollercoaster hijinks with a lot of loose ends with most of the stuff being written today...Bill Sr and Kay could be creative, suspenseful, and classy without it seeming forced.

There is a weird creative acuity going on and it would have been invaluable in my opinion to have a vet like VR or the vets period have the opportunity to give more voice to the dialogue because they would be giving their input from a more intimate place from acting out the characters so much.

As far as the pre-Emmy snub goes, I think in the long run, the ratings will suffer and VR will have the last laugh...you can only be on your high horse for so long before the 'winds of reality' knock you off. Like I and others have said many times before--VR brought in ALOT of black, hispanic, asian, women, etc, audiences who loved Dru and supported her since day one...Hmmm....

Modified 2 times(s), last time at: 2007/04/08 08:58PM
    #14   2007/04/09 02:45AM
    pdames4

Quote OspreyGirl:
    Quote Soulsistah:
    Quote pdames4:

I agree with you about your suspicion that it was MS. I can't put my finger on it yet but I have a sneaking suspicion that having Nikki leave town to go to Madison right before the Dru/cliff issue--this was planned.

I can tell that when EB (Victor) was in scenes with the Winters that he seemed very hurt that Dru was gone...

Also, I really can't see how much a conflict of interest it would have been having Victoria write for the show--that lame excuse telling her 'it has never been done before' doesn't mean that it couldn't be done...to me personally, that was a big time discriminatory move on TPTB towards VR to suggest that as an artist, she has limitations only in acting.

It speaks volumes to me that VR was given so much leverage to write/re-write alot of her lines--this is unfortunately indicative of having a Hollywood writing staff who are culturally biased of how to authentically 'give voice' to characters who are non-Caucasian. I'm glad that VR did have dialogue that was authentic enough that most women of color speak--I would have had a hard time believing Drucilla as a reformed homeless dancer from the streets if her character was written to speak like Nikki.

I don't believe that the current head writer LML and/or those who have to do with the scripts get it--and their work speak for themselves...we get rollercoaster hijinks with a lot of loose ends with most of the stuff being written today...Bill Sr and Kay could be creative, suspenseful, and classy without it seeming forced.

There is a weird creative acuity going on and it would have been invaluable in my opinion to have a vet like VR or the vets period have the opportunity to give more voice to the dialogue because they would be giving their input from a more intimate place from acting out the characters so much.

As far as the pre-Emmy snub goes, I think in the long run, the ratings will suffer and VR will have the last laugh...you can only be on your high horse for so long before the 'winds of reality' knock you off. Like I and others have said many times before--VR brought in ALOT of black, hispanic, asian, women, etc, audiences who loved Dru and supported her since day one...Hmmm....

Very insightful.

#15   2007/04/09 02:15PM
    OspreyGirl

^Thanks PB. Do ya think these insights really matter to TPTB at Y&R? Seems like they got alot of internal simmerings going on with pay and contract issues, but some body or some folk have their thumbs up their butts in arrogance and don't care that vets like VR and ED leave the show...wonder who else will follow?

The cast may dwindle down to what B&B is like---hmmmm...

#16   2007/04/09 02:20PM
    SouthernLady

the daytime emmys have always been a popularity contest and for that reason i never take much stock in who wins or not because i don't think they go by the talent.....

sounds like the soap opera behind the scenes is pretty interesting....

#17   2007/04/09 02:25PM
    OspreyGirl

Quote SouthernLady: the daytime emmys have always been a popularity contest and for that reason i never take much stock in who wins or not because i don't think they go by the talent.....

For real, you are so right! It's like high school drama pumped on steroids and Botox, definitely not .

Edited by moderator - please do not comment on the actors acting ability. They stop in here from time to time.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2007/04/09 02:27PM
    #18   2007/04/10 12:02AM
    Soulsistah

Quote SouthernLady: the daytime emmys have always been a popularity contest and for that reason i never take much stock in who wins or not because i don't think they go by the talent.....

ITA - Because it is a popularity contest as to who even gets the opportunity to possibly be nominated,I pay no attention to the Emmys because too many talented actors and actresses from many soaps never get nominated. I guess they're not as popular with the PTB...JMO.

Ospreygirl - excellent observations and prediction. I for one will be watching very closely as to how the writers handle certain aspects of the show in the short term...

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2007/04/10 12:02AM
    « 1 2 3 4 5 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list