List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

The Young and the Restless - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: The Young and the Restless Forum :: What's Killing Soaps? Why Don't Soaps appeal to a wider audience?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

What's Killing Soaps? Why Don't Soaps appeal to a wider audience?

Started by ksupergirl at 2007/02/28 06:09AM
    Latest post: 2007/02/28 01:48PM, Views: 603, Replies: 17
    « 1 2 page:
    #11   2007/02/28 07:27AM
    Re: What's Killing Soaps? Why Don't Soaps appeal to a wider audience?
    quillpen

Oh Gosh, Crissi..... Gotta tell you. My husband is always putting me down because I watch two soaps. However, when he sits down, he goes on like this, "He used to be --- on Gl, or she played a charcter on this soap or that soap before she went on to the next one before comeing to this one.... She was a bad person when she played a different character on that other soap. etc., etc...." I asked him one time how long has he been watching soaps, he will confess he has never watched soaps. Yet, he knows so much about the storylines, the complete history of all the characters but he doesn't watch "those sillly soaps." Go figure, huh??????

As a result of his hiding in the soaps closet for so many years, he is a really good one to bounce ideas off of. That was all I had before I found you guys. Oh, not true, I have one friend that watches the same ones I do, but her shift changed and she watches at 3am or some unGodly time like that. But then again, she likes to buy the magazines and feed me the spoilers and I prefer to watch it all unfold and do not like to know ahead of time what will happen. If I know ahead of time, why watch????

#12   2007/02/28 07:35AM
    glowery

Chrissi,

I know just the kind of people you are talking about Looking at you like you are so much less because you like soaps. But just relate a storyline and maybe get some fact wrong and see how quick these same people will correct you Caught red-handed! But still would not admit they were a viewer.

#13   2007/02/28 12:58PM
    Soulsistah

Quote glowery:
    Quote ksupergirl: I'll tell you one reason, their inability to change. Many long time viewers seem to want everything and everyone to remain the same. There are two choices, change soaps and expand their audience or get cancelled. Industry insiders have predicted all soaps will be gone in 7 - 10 years, some will be gone before that. The soap formula that workded 20 or 30 years ago, will not keep them on the air now.

I don't know how any one could say that soaps lack the ability to change. Soaps have changed by leaps and bounds since the first one I ever watched which was in black and white and a mere 15 minutes long.

While their target audience may be 18 to 49, do they know if this age group is interested?

Perhaps Y&R did have 10 million viewers 14 years ago, and now that, according to what you are saying, is down by half, but there could be so many reasons for that, that have nothing to do with if the soap changed or not.

As inflation grows, households that were single or two incomes, have now changed to three and sometimes four incomes. It would not matter how or if they changed if there was no time to watch.

As far as appealing to a wider market, the wider your target market the more diluted your marketing becomes, hence the term "target market." Trying to market even to an audience of 18 to 49 is like comparing apples to oranges. Does anyone really think what appeals to an 18 year old is going to appeal to someone 49? If they do, they are living in a fantasy world for sure.

Granted there are younger ones watching, and there are young ones on this board, are you paying attention to what they are saying? What I see on Y&R board along with the other boards on this site is there a lack or romance and and stable couples with fairytale endings. It seems to me that what they are looking for is the format of the old soaps where families were the name of the game. So what this tells me is soaps did in fact change, and it was not a welcome change.

A well-thoughtout and factual rebuttal Glowery.

Another key tidbit that wasn't mentioned that was also in the CNN article is that ALL soaps, not just Y&R, have lost a lot of viewers over the past few years and this is due to many social factors, including lifestyle changes of viewers.
    We live in a very mobile and heavily digitalized world right now where things change constantly. Prime time melodramas like Dynasty, Knots Landing, Falcon Crest, Dallas, Melrose Place, etc. all once were ratings blow-outs, but times changed and these programs were cancelled. It maybe inevitable that daytime soaps will continue to decline or be gone years from now, but it probably will not be due to the writers/brass not incorporating change into the shows.

The Y&R has changed tremendously over the years. But where the Y&R is in danger of losing their prized #1 standing, is changing the key elements that have made this show number one: for example, remaining true to the characters, the family histories, tried and true romance and stable relationships - not just "hot" titillating sex, just for the sake of "hotness", etc. This was a formula perfected over many, many years by the creators and long-time writers of this show. I'm all for change, if the changes make sense and don't rewrite years and years of history in a few episodes. When the writers forget that, that's when they'll see viewer numbers drop even more, IMO.

#14   2007/02/28 01:23PM
    Chrissi

Oh Gosh, Crissi..... Gotta tell you. My husband is always putting me down because I watch two soaps. However, when he sits down, he goes on like this, "He used to be --- on Gl, or she played a charcter on this soap or that soap before she went on to the next one before comeing to this one.... She was a bad person when she played a different character on that other soap. etc., etc...." I asked him one time how long has he been watching soaps, he will confess he has never watched soaps. Yet, he knows so much about the storylines, the complete history of all the characters but he doesn't watch "those sillly soaps." Go figure, huh??????

As a result of his hiding in the soaps closet for so many years, he is a really good one to bounce ideas off of. That was all I had before I found you guys. Oh, not true, I have one friend that watches the same ones I do, but her shift changed and she watches at 3am or some unGodly time like that. But then again, she likes to buy the magazines and feed me the spoilers and I prefer to watch it all unfold and do not like to know ahead of time what will happen. If I know ahead of time, why watch????

Yeah! That's how many men are, I find. In my group of friends, there are about three or four who watch but they only admitted to it recently. I guess out of respect for my job? (Which is nice.) It's a shame that people feel the need to hide what they like. I don't watch much else on TV but I never act snotty to those who watch something that I wouldn't watch!! I guess to each his own!!

Quote glowery: Chrissi,

I know just the kind of people you are talking about Looking at you like you are so much less because you like soaps. But just relate a storyline and maybe get some fact wrong and see how quick these same people will correct you Caught red-handed! But still would not admit they were a viewer.

Yes, exactly. If they have an opinion, they must have watched a show or two in their time but if they haven't, then I'm not interested in even debating with them.

Actually, since I've been working as E-in-C for Soaps.com, I never get that anymore. I'm really thankful because I know of some actors who still get the... "Oh, you work with the soaps? I NEVER watch THOSE!!" Jeeze, how rude?!! I wouldn't say that to someone if they worked at any job at all... psh!!

I thought of more reasons why people don't watch anymore and then I forgot. It must be nearing the end of the day!!! LOL

Have a great night!!!
    C

#15   2007/02/28 01:33PM
    CHJS

Great Post! I couldnt agree with you more.

#16   2007/02/28 01:43PM
    Chrissi

Quote ksupergirl: Y&R is still NO. 1 BUT it's no. 1 with 5 million LESS viewers! CNN.COM did a report about 6 months ago about the decline of soaps. And for Y&R the numbers were like this.

1992 Y&R had 10.1 million viewers
    today that number has dropped to 5.3 million viewers. It gets worse. The average age of a soap viewer is 46.7 years old. The age demo most wanted by the sponsors is 18-49! In less than five years the average age of a soap viewer will be 50!

I missed this quote. Very good point about the age. I think that maybe most of it really is just like we said. Not many are home during the day watching. Those that are at home do watch, but some are busy with little ones.

I try to watch but who has the time, when it takes me a few minutes to read updates from our site! That's so bad. I feel bad for admitting it but hey... it's hard to write all day while watching the scoops!!!

#17   2007/02/28 01:47PM
    KeepingItReal

I watch it in the evenings but I do flick a lot between the News, other programs, taking my daughter to various programs,etc. etc..

Plus I agree it has a lot to do with our lifestyles. A lot of us are Moms and we juggle a lot. We just don't have the time any more to watch it plus when the story lines go crazy we turn to the Net and get our updates there.

It like the record and movie industry. They are loosing out a lot because of the NET.

Who knew that the Net would take us this far.....

#18   2007/02/28 01:48PM
    courtlitten

I tell people that I watch soaps and I could give a rats
    a-- what they think or even give their words recognition. I am a mother of two and I stay home while my fiancee works. I am capable of working but he asked if I would mind staying home while the kids were young cuz we both wanted someone to be there that they trusted all the time. And I totally agree with him; while I am cleaning, or making lunch or getting the kids down for naps I watch soaps, they give me something else to focus on in my day. My day is consumed with poopy diapers, siblings brawls and toddler talk and I need something to focus on to keep my sanity and soaps are my key. And there are many women and men out there that do the same thing. I am sorry but I would rather watch soaps then the news and be depressed all of my days with my children because the world is falling apart; I would rather suspend my disbeleif for a couple hours and live in an ignorant bliss.
    And as far as the ratings dropping. I think someone said it earlier that they are more families with two parents working two or more jobs. So their are probably alot of less women watching cuz they are at work and don't have the time.I am sorry but how much wider can the audience be in every soaps there are teens, twenty-somethings, thirty-somethings and so on. Ya sometimes the soaps get boring but I still watch cuz you never know whats going to happen next.

« 1 2 page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list