List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Ugly Betty - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: Ugly Betty Forum :: Ugly Betty Is Considered A Soap Opera Why????

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Ugly Betty Is Considered A Soap Opera Why????

Started by Dariana at 2007/02/13 04:56AM
    Latest post: 2007/02/25 08:48AM, Views: 3413, Replies: 5
    page:
    #1   2007/02/13 04:56AM
    Ugly Betty Is Considered A Soap Opera Why????
    Dariana

No offense intended but I just joined and was quite surprised to see that Ugly Betty is here as a Soap Opera. I guess I would not consider this to be a soap opera anymore than "Everybody Loves Raymond", "King Of the Hill", etc etc. Is it just me or does anyone else wonder why this show is on this site as a "soap opera"? I love the show but its to odd to consider it a "soap". Just my thoughts, no offense to anyone, just curious I guess.

#2   2007/02/14 08:25AM
    Re: Ugly Betty Is Considered A Soap Opera Why????
    Chrissi

Oh no, lovey. It's not considered a soap opera at all. It's a Telenovela actually. When we first started writing for UB (Matt, and now Shannon) we also did Fashion House and Desire. They were all only to air for 13 weeks and UB wound up going on.. and on!!

We decided to keep this one and stop doing any others, but we are talking about opening a Telenovela site and when we do, we'll be moving this show to that site and this will be exclusively soaps.

I hope that clears it up! I know it is confusing to see!

#3   2007/02/16 04:00PM
    CalAggie87

Raymond was not serial but this is. And the show does have elements of a soap, which is after all what a telenova is. I think BETTY mixes both genre, it has some of the Latina novela quality but it also does have America soap elements. The back from the dead, the shocking revelations. Frankly, there is no soap on TV today which I care about, but I love BETTY because I find in it what I loved about DAYS from 81 to 91, I care for the characters, I am interested in what is going to happened. I enjoy watching it. I went back to DAYS when Matt Ashford returned but I never could get a feel for the show, the characters I cared about were always fired or sidelined and there were far too many which I not only did not like BUT HATED WITH A PASSION OF A MILLION SUNS. Betty's characters are multi-dimensional, you can sympathize with them even the most nasty. I love the characterization and I love the way characters interact with each other. And I love that after a day in the cut throat, shallow world of MODE, Betty has a loving family.

I think BETTY IS again is a cross between the telenovela and the soap. And I just love going to ABC.com and watching the cheese two minute telenovelas which Ignacio watches on the show.

#4   2007/02/16 04:06PM
    Lakergirlsb

It is a great show and I am glad it works here in the states!!!

#5   2007/02/19 09:34AM
    honey106

maybe it should stay here .. I like watchin the Latina soap opera that airs during UB

#6   2007/02/25 08:48AM
    Chrissi

It'll stay until such a time as when we do get another place for it. It will eventually not be here, because it's not a soap and it's primetime and we want all of the daytime dramas here only. Don't worry. We'll link to it from here and write something up well before we decide anything!!!

page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list