Passions - NEWS ROOM

In our 'Passions' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

A Second Life for Passions?

Thursday, March 22 2007

(Soaps.com)
    Recent developments have given Passions fans have two reasons to be optimistic this week. Since the show's cancellation was announced with a final air date set for September 7th, ardent fans have been rallying behind the show, signing petitions and feverishly writing letters to NBC. While the network has maintained that it would be seeking another avenue for the show, this week it actually made some concrete hints about what these might be. To preface this, these are only rumors and nothing has been confirmed.

NBC Entertainment president Kevin Reilly stated from the offset that 'there are loyal viewers of this show who love it and show up every day. And in a perfect world, we'd like to keep the brand alive. There may be another network. You know, I don't think it's a broadcast network, but there may be another cable network that wants to get in business with us and have some sort of on-air presence for the show.' While the network was initially thought to be considering the prospect of an internet-based and much shorter version of the show, they now seem resolved to stay with television. These past weeks, NBC has entered into official talks with associates for DIRECTV satellite providers about the possibility of selling the show. Although no official statement has been made about the success of the negotiations, representatives of the network have indicated to the press that they may be guardedly optimistic.

(Soaps.com)
    Also this week, while NBC has decided to opt out of the soap world in the future, we've reported that FOX television has decided it's time for them to wade in. Although FOX has a respectable history producing night time soaps like Melrose Place, they have never ventured into the hectic world of daytime before. The network has recently commissioned a new soap which will revolve around a blue collar American family. They have also commissioned a soap/reality tv hybrid called Forever Eden which is expected to break new ground for both genres. If FOX 's venture into the soap world proves attractive enough, executives at the network will have the opportunity to pick up, and likely transform, NBC 's two departing shows. Passions actually seems like a great fit for a network bent on the frequently lewd and ludicrous in its content so, with an already devoted fan base, it would seem like a wise investment. Until anything has been set in stone, please continue to write to the network and sign petitions. They are listening and the chance that Passions may live on is still going strong.

Posted by divaDiane at Thursday, March 22 2007 01:41 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. PLEASE LET THE SHOW DIE WITH SOME DIGNITY.

Posted by Darling89Formula at Thursday, March 22 2007 02:42 PM

If a network does pick up the show, will it be for the show up until the cancellation date, or would the show itself continue?

Posted by passionflower at Thursday, March 22 2007 02:45 PM

DIVADIANE THE SHOW DOES NOT NEED TO DIE IF YOU WERE A FAN YOU WOULDNT WANT IT TO THATS THE BEST NEWS I EVER HEARD IS THAT MY FAVORITE SOAP PASSIONS MAY LIVE ON AND DARLING89 THE SHOW WOULD CONTINUE YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by passionflower at Thursday, March 22 2007 02:52 PM

AN AFTER THOUGHT......I HOPE DIRECT TV ISNT THE ONLY OPTION FOR PASSIONS I HOPE FOX BUYS THE SHOW CUZ I LIVE IN AN APARTMENT THAT WOULDNT ALLOW ME TO HAVE A SATELLITE ANY ADVICE ON THAT OR COMMENTS

Posted by Matt_Soaps.com at Thursday, March 22 2007 06:37 PM

Could everyone please remember not to post in ALL CAPS.

To answer Darling89Formula's question, if the show does get picked up, it will be for after the cancellation date. Passions will continue on NBC until then.

Thanks passionflower for defending the show which we love. I really hope this plan to keep the show alive comes to be.

Posted by inlovewithpassions at Thursday, March 22 2007 09:06 PM

Yesssss..... this is awesome. i hope they go to fox to. i dont have satilite and would not want to switch to it. (my husbands a cable guy) lol. i would love to see the show go on.

Posted by lady1951 at Thursday, March 22 2007 09:18 PM

I agree with passionflower. I do not have Direct tv but I do have Fox. Or even NBC could put it on the SciFi channel. Passions is the only soap that I watch. I am so devoted to Passions that I record it even if I am watching it just in case I am interrupted by the phone or doorbell. When "Passions from the beginning" was on the SciFi channel at 8AM I would record it also. I did not start watching until early 2005 so I don't know all the history of the characters. I was very disappointed when SciFi suddenly dropped the soap and left me hanging. And now the whole thing is supposed to go off. I hope we can all make a difference and keep it on, and on a channel that everyone can get.

Posted by Belle_Claire_Shawn at Friday, March 23 2007 10:28 AM

oh thank god they could save it. i wouldent have minded seeing it on the enternet though. but yay for directtv

Posted by Belle_Claire_Shawn at Friday, March 23 2007 10:30 AM

I HAVE SATTELITE BUT I WONDER IF I HAVE DIRECTTV. THEY SHOULD PUT IT ON THE ENTERNET. DOESNT NBC PUT IT ON THE ENTERNET ALREADY. IM IN CANADA SO I CANT SEE IT ON ENTERNET. BOOO NBC.

Posted by vesper21 at Friday, March 23 2007 10:45 AM