List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Passions - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: Passions Forum :: Let's Discuss Soaps.com's "Full Detailed Profiles" at Cast List Page

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

CLOSED: Let's Discuss Soaps.com's "Full Detailed Profiles" at Cast List Page

Started by DIANA064 at 2008/05/02 08:41PM
    Latest post: 2008/06/26 09:43AM, Views: 2091, Replies: 29
    1 2 3 » »| page:
    #1   2008/05/02 08:41PM
    Let's Discuss Soaps.com's
    DIANA064

Has anyone read through the profiles on Theresa, Gwen, Ethan and Little Ethan? I know these profiles did not come from NBC because there are errors and frankly, there appears to me to be some serious "spinning" of information going on. The most glaring problems are in the write-ups of Gwen and Theresa, but Little Ethan's and Ethan's also are misleading.
    For example, at the top ofEthan Winthrop's Page, four or five items are shown as "Useful Information on Ethan Winthrop". Interestingly, it says that he has "Loved Gwen since childhood", followed by "Theresa has done everything in her power to be with Ethan"
    Those of us interested in seeing the true picture (or at least as true as we can write it) of the Ethan/Theresa/Gwen triangle might want to take a look at these profiles and urge the Admn. to do some correcting and revising. The profiles are out of date, so now might be a good time.
    Any feedback would be appreciated!
    Diana D.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2008/05/02 08:47PM
    #2   2008/05/02 11:20PM
    Re: Let's Discuss Soaps.com's
    destes

I think it is the opinion of the person writing about the characters.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2008/05/02 11:29PM
    #3   2008/05/10 08:07AM
    DIANA064

Quote destes: I think it is the opinion of the person writing about the characters.

Some character profiles seem very opinionated and that's the problem I have with them. Shouldn't a "profile" be based on facts, not biases? The writer thought it was useful to know that Ethan "loved Gwen since childhood" (I'm not sure that is exactly true, but I'll let it stand), but no mention whatsoever that he fell in love with Theresa. That's a very useful piece of info in the storyline.

And why would the writer state as a fact that Ethan had
    "many lovers" when he didn't???? The show never presented Ethan as a man who had flings or casual relationships. Until Theresa came along, Gwen was the only woman in his life. Ethan is/was very serious about personal relationships, not fickle.

Some of the history written about the characters is misleading and some of it just wrong. For example, in Gwen's history, it says that at an engagement party, "Ethan informed Gwen that he had been CHEATING on her with Theresa and he wanted to POSTPONE the wedding"....not exactly true. I replayed that scene and Ethan tells Gwen he wants to CALL OFF the wedding because he's fallen in love with another woman. He and Theresa had what...two kisses, no making out sessions whatsoever, but I do remember
    some fantasizing on Ethan's part of what it would be like to be with Theresa.
    Gwen's famous violent tirade at the Lopez-Fitzgerald house with the baseball bat and her attempt there to kill Theresa if Theresa didn't call Ethan and tell him she never wanted to see him again was left out and the scene glossed-over, and the info on how Gwen and her mother schemed to do the tabloids is just not the way it happened.
    It seems to me that the writer has deliberately misrepresented the facts of the storyline and I can't imagine why he/she would do that. Each of these characters has made mistakes and has "sinned".....but, please,let's not spin one's story to make it look more innocent than it was shown on screen.
    The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2008/05/10 08:09AM
    #4   2008/05/10 11:27AM
    destes

I have found the same thing. Most profiles I have read are based on the opinion of the person writing the profiles.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2008/05/10 11:28AM
    #5   2008/05/10 02:08PM
    Ms.HuNNii

I don't see anything wrong with the character's bio, their not misleading to me. Those things did happened they just wasn't worded how you want, it seem. but I'm pretty sure if someone read Gwen's bio the part where she go to Teresa's with a baseball bat they would know gwen wasn't going there to play baseball.

The part where it saids Ethan told Gwen he cheated, it is an opinion. The person who wrote that probably think if a person who is engaged kiss and spending quality time with another person thats cheating. So do I. Some probably think that not cheating cause Ethan fell in love/or was meant to be with Teresa anyway.

#6   2008/05/10 03:28PM
    Buffygirl7

I haven't read the bios in question, but I have to agree with Diana that they should be kept neutral and factual, and the opinion of the writer should not be obvious when you read them. On my Passions site, I tried really hard when writing the character bios to keep my own personal opinions at bay and stick to the facts. I have to admit, though, it's hard at times! passionsdish.blogspot.com

#7   2008/05/10 04:45PM
    WendyT

I just joined today because I wanted to reply to the topic made by Diana064.
    I agree fully that character write-ups should be done in an unbiased and strictly "head on" manner. I have seen much too often characters portrayed on a public forum by an author who is either anti or pro, and knowingly or not, it definatly comes across to the reader.
    Leanings towards a character are understandable in a thread or reply, but shouldn't be given in a description or profile.

#8   2008/05/10 05:08PM
    DIANA064

Quote Ms.HuNNii: I don't see anything wrong with the character's bio, their not misleading to me. Those things did happened they just wasn't worded how you want, it seem. but I'm pretty sure if someone read Gwen's bio the part where she go to Teresa's with a baseball bat they would know gwen wasn't going there to play baseball.

The part where it saids Ethan told Gwen he cheated, it is an opinion. The person who wrote that probably think if a person who is engaged kiss and spending quality time with another person thats cheating. So do I. Some probably think that not cheating cause Ethan fell in love/or was meant to be with Teresa anyway.

Why not just word it the way it was worded in the scene? Ethan did not say he cheated and wanted to postpone the wedding. He said he wanted to Call Off the wedding because he had fallen in love with another woman.

The way the scene or the story happened is the way I want it to be reported.

#9   2008/05/10 08:07PM
    Ms.HuNNii

That not how it was said either, Gwen asked him why was he calling off the wedding and he said the usual passions men reply "It's Complicated" Ethan didn't tell Gwen it was another woman until Gwen figured it out, that when Ethan siad he still loves Gwen, but he is also in love with this other woman.

Now way that scene was setup one can interpret what lead up to Ethan calling off the wedding was due to him getting too close to Teresa equates to cheating, I guess thats how the writer who wrote Gwen's bio saw it.

#10   2008/05/11 02:57PM
    screaming-tu...

Quote Ms.HuNNii: I don't see anything wrong with the character's bio, their not misleading to me. Those things did happened they just wasn't worded how you want, it seem. but I'm pretty sure if someone read Gwen's bio the part where she go to Teresa's with a baseball bat they would know gwen wasn't going there to play baseball.

I read through them and have to agree. They stated actions that the chacters acutaly did! The one for Gwen told how she went at threasa with the bat as stateded above and how she went coocoo and took Jane. So it's not like it made her out to be a saint. I'm guess your a Threasa fan and didn't like that they satated threasa had an obsession with ethan that bordered on stalker. That IS true and did play out that way. As for Ethan and LE I think their profiles are dead on the money. sure they have now made it that LE is Ethan's kid but to pick on them for not constantly re-writing bio's of a soap that will be over in 4 months isn't nessacary. JMO Also at soapcentral they atleat go into when DTV picked up passions and they talk about who is who's bio child and they say how now LE is ethan's bio child with ethan but was thought to be julians sence roam. Also it talkes about johnathan and him being Gwen and Ethan's bio child. So they are just futher along in their profiles but they read the same pretty much sticking to facts.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2008/05/11 03:36PM
    1 2 3 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list