List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

One Life To Live - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: One Life To Live Forum :: One Life to Live's Writing - Worst writers!!!!

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

One Life to Live's Writing - Worst writers!!!!

Started by eglassman11 at 2013/05/31 10:54AM
    Latest post: 2013/06/06 11:57AM, Views: 740, Replies: 9
    page:
    #1   2013/05/31 10:54AM
    One Life to Live's Writing - Worst writers!!!!
    eglassman11

I have refrained from writing my opinion about One Life to Live on TOLN until now. Like others, I want it to succeed. The writers are the absolute worst I have seen in many years. They have dropped the ball on the Victor Lord kidnapping story without any real explanation on how and why. They did not even use the drama from others to react to that issue. The constant boring storytelling about the younger generation or about Cutter and his club or the poker games are failures. The poker game with the minor comedy was also a failure. The stories have been so lackluster that those in charge at TOLN had their order at HULU cancelled to half. The Canadian TV Network cancelled it order too. The use of guest stars like Snoop Dog does nothing for the show.

If you are a poster here, then you know that I have watched this show since the mid-80's, except for a brief time in the late 90's when I was out of the country. If something is not done soon, this show will deservedly so be cancelled.

#2   2013/05/31 12:30PM
    Re: One Life to Live's Writing - Worst writers!!!!
    ghfanfare

I'm sorry you are unhappy with the show. I think it's pretty good, actually, considering the circumstances. It's a new production, a new format, and obviously PP doesn't have a gazillion dollars like ABC/Disney. So I expect a few bugs until they get things going. In fact, I think it's gotten better in the month it's been on.

Did you know they hired all new writers? And that OLTL was the number one watched show on Hulu just yesterday?

My understanding is the two times a week format is because of production and internet marketing. Canadian TV wanted the four episodes rather than two.

I don't have a problem if they try to write some stuff for the younger generation. They need new viewers to keep it going. I'm sure a lot of older viewers started when they were young and were drawn in by stories aimed at young people.

Personally, I like a mix of all ages and types and I think they are finding a better balance with that now. Yes, it's a bit choppy. But perhaps the new writers will smooth things out. It's a new venture. I think it's cool they are even making the effort. I hope it continues.

#3   2013/05/31 07:58PM
    elijahsgotit

Quote eglassman11: The use of guest stars like Snoop Dog does nothing for the show.

Well that's not really true. Many Snoop fans have tuned in just to see his appearance and then ended up really loving the show so as far as ratings go, he definitely doesn't hurt them.

#4   2013/06/01 05:51AM
    oltlforever31

I have to agree, the writing for Victor's return was not that great. They just hired new writers....not sure how long before we will start to see their work, as I think they just started. I'm guessing that whatever they are filming now, must still be what the previous writers did. I think over all, the show has been pretty good though. It has done well to hold my interest. I still look forward to it everyday.

I do wish it was on more than twice a week though. This new schedule isn't terrible, but it leaves me wanting more. I think PP would see that as a good thing, but it's a bit frustrating. instead of a 2 (or day break that we are used to, now there is a 5 day break in between shows, and that seems like a long time. I think they should air 3 episodes a week of each show, and that would be a good compromise. They could air AMC on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and OLTL on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, or what the heck, even Saturday. Get rid of that More show. I mean it's okay, but I could live without it.

I am looking forward to what the new writers will do with the show. As I said before, I think the show is really good right now...but there is always room for improvement. I won't give up on it. I love seeing my favorite characters again. Happy and grateful everyday to have this show back. I'll take it anyway I can get it!

edited to add, the sunglasses face is supposed to be the number 3.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/06/01 05:53AM
    #5   2013/06/03 08:32AM
    MikeLikesSoaps

I hope the new writers are better than the hacks that wrote what we ahve seen so far. I am also very disapponted in the (lack of)s/l of Victor is back from the dead. Where has he been? How did he get there with Allison? How did he get away? I also hope the new writers cut down on the profanity in the dialogue and not have so many scenes take place at Shelter. I was very disappoointed when the show was cancelled by ABC, but so far NOT impressed with this rebot.

#6   2013/06/03 08:33AM
    MikeLikesSoaps

And please redo the opening! Go more like AMC's. The actors dancing looks ridiculous and the theme song sucks.

#7   2013/06/06 04:33AM
    elijahsgotit

I don't care much for AMC's opening..Too cheesy for my taste

#8   2013/06/06 07:43AM
    ChargerGirl

Quote MikeLikesSoaps: And please redo the opening! Go more like AMC's. The actors dancing looks ridiculous and the theme song sucks.

Although I disagree with your sentiments about the writing. I personally think it's no worse than any other show and OK so far. But I agree with you on the opening dance scenes. When I first saw it I thought to myself WTF? I immediately thought of a comical white version of the Bill Cosby Show from the 80's opening. I know they think Bo and Nora belong on Dancing with the Stars but come on!!!!

#9   2013/06/06 07:50AM
    tessicapls

Do you think it will continue after August now that production has been halted??

#10   2013/06/06 11:57AM
    maps74

I think the stories are already picking up. It did seem to stall somewhat and the episode reduction did not help with the pacing, but it seems several stories are starting to gain momentum.

I hated the opening for the first week, but Snoop Lion's song grew on me and now it's in my head all the time.

Everything I've read seems to indicate that PP is still determined to continue, perhaps even changing the location of production. I really hope they will continue production in Aug/Sept as they say they plan to. Union disputes are not uncommon and the allegations need to be proven before PP is assumed to be guilty of going over budget on some AMC episodes as per the Union agreements. Have yet to see any episodes that appear to have had a doubled budget, but who knows?

page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list