What Happened to the Laura Thread?

GHers! Register and post about everything that goes on in Port Charles.
User avatar
mauimama
Posts: 8488
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:15 pm

Re: What Happened to the Laura Thread?

Postby mauimama » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:45 pm

Such a shame that the writers have turned my once "beloved Laura" into the raging shrew and harpy that she is now. Can't stand to watch her or listen to her. She's past her prime in GH (as was Luke) IMHO

User avatar
taramartin
Posts: 4891
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 8:32 pm

Re: What Happened to the Laura Thread?

Postby taramartin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:55 pm

I've watched Laura (GF) since she came on GH, she has provided many hours of great entertainment. She and Luke (AG) put GH on the map.
I like seeing the faces I have seen through the years and I like the thought of them being in PC.
In most cases, I don't mind if they are in a recurring status - then it can be a treat to see them in a scene occasionally.
Since Laura is married to Kevin I guess she'll be busy for awhile. I didn't like her scene with Valentin but since she thinks he killed Nicholas, shot Kevin and hid Charlotte from Lulu I understand why she wouldn't like him( but I do).

DavidaMBurns
Posts: 521
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: What Happened to the Laura Thread?

Postby DavidaMBurns » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:06 pm

ellenymphea wrote:I don’t know the actor’s personal issues or why she came back (and I certainly don’t like people insulting her appearance as she’s still a pretty woman - she doesnt have to be a supermodel at her age) but I don’t like her character. This isn’t the 80s anymore, there is no real use for her when everyone else from that time is basically gone. Kevin/Ryan is boring, Lucy is a lunatic who I can barely tolerate once a year, and Mac/Felicia don’t do anything except occasionally talk to Maxi. I don’t want characters around for the sole purpose of toting on their grandkids - I want characters with depth and characters who have been around for a while but still have great storylines. They need to get rid of Anna too, she is getting too old to play the same story over and over for decades!

The only compelling storyline right now is Nina and her daughter and Mike and his illness since that’s something different. And Oscar is ok and it could get interesting, but his mom is a drag. Julian is utterly useless these days as is Alexis. They need to bring people like Nikolas and Alcazar back.


Well then by your standards Leslie Charleson needs to go as does Wally Kurth, Kin Shriner, Kimberly McCullough, and Jackie Zeman. Genie never stays around long. I think she hangs around long enough for some paychecks and books out. I don't think she likes the acting life. Her husband is an actor. But you're right. These older actors need to bow out at some point when they no longer serve an interesting point. Alexis has a family though with 3 baby daddies and she's an attorney. Felicia is around for the Ryan story which is just dumb. But she also has a family. They dropped the ball with Felicia many years ago. She came from royalty. Anna? Yikes! She's past her prime. She's a cry baby spy. Time for her to go away and not hook her up with hot sexy Finn. I love Oscar's mom. They just need to give HER a juicy story line outside of him. I love a bad Julian not a good Julian. I love the Nina and her daughter story line too.


User avatar
LuvsJason2
Posts: 1722
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:49 pm
Location: Joey Playing with his rubber teeth
Contact:

Re: What Happened to the Laura Thread?

Postby LuvsJason2 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:28 pm

stonecoldhot wrote:
centrd wrote:And oh em gee...what the heck was with her outfit today? She had on both a necklace AND earrings...AND a scarf? Topped off with a dowdy sweater?

Good lord, stylists, this is not the way to go.

No disrespect to my canine friends but.....that scarf Laura was wearing looked like a bandana,that you would put around a dog`s neck.


Lmao.................... that is so true... all my gosh that is funny....

User avatar
LuvsJason2
Posts: 1722
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:49 pm
Location: Joey Playing with his rubber teeth
Contact:

Re: What Happened to the Laura Thread?

Postby LuvsJason2 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:34 pm

MarieDet wrote:
DavidaMBurns wrote:Wow, what's with all the Laura/Genie Francis haters? Must be Millennials??



WRONG. Try again.

I was a young wife and mother the same time she was on the show.


No one likes witches flying on brooms. Or violent pieces of crap.


Thats Right MarieDet
The days of Luke and Laura are gone... and Lucky is gone... so she needs to go home and retire like Luke did. I dont care for her character anymore... she is mean and hateful I get tired of seeing her twist her face when ever she is mad... and I dont like seeing her slapping people.... it is uncalled for....

DavidaMBurns
Posts: 521
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: What Happened to the Laura Thread?

Postby DavidaMBurns » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:46 am

taramartin wrote:I've watched Laura (GF) since she came on GH, she has provided many hours of great entertainment. She and Luke (AG) put GH on the map.
I like seeing the faces I have seen through the years and I like the thought of them being in PC.
In most cases, I don't mind if they are in a recurring status - then it can be a treat to see them in a scene occasionally.
Since Laura is married to Kevin I guess she'll be busy for awhile. I didn't like her scene with Valentin but since she thinks he killed Nicholas, shot Kevin and hid Charlotte from Lulu I understand why she wouldn't like him( but I do).


I totally agree with your whole post. I didn't see her slap Valentin but if she did then he deserved it. He killed her son for crying out loud. He was an evil man. And may still be for all we know. Never trust a Cassadine. Laura knows better than anyone about that. Laura knows something is up with Kevin and that's why she may be 'twisting her face' and acting like a 'shrew' according to other posters. I don't think people are being fair towards her. I love her and I love when she pops in and out. It's Lulu I wish would go away and never come back. She makes me leave the room. They should have kept Dom and sent her away. Ick!

User avatar
Barbyboo
Posts: 50839
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:07 pm

Re: What Happened to the Laura Thread?

Postby Barbyboo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:37 pm

centrd wrote:Oh well.

I just want to know why the writers have to make her so unlikable?

Oh man she’s ff material...

User avatar
ellenymphea
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: What Happened to the Laura Thread?

Postby ellenymphea » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:39 am

DavidaMBurns wrote:
ellenymphea wrote:I don’t know the actor’s personal issues or why she came back (and I certainly don’t like people insulting her appearance as she’s still a pretty woman - she doesnt have to be a supermodel at her age) but I don’t like her character. This isn’t the 80s anymore, there is no real use for her when everyone else from that time is basically gone. Kevin/Ryan is boring, Lucy is a lunatic who I can barely tolerate once a year, and Mac/Felicia don’t do anything except occasionally talk to Maxi. I don’t want characters around for the sole purpose of toting on their grandkids - I want characters with depth and characters who have been around for a while but still have great storylines. They need to get rid of Anna too, she is getting too old to play the same story over and over for decades!

The only compelling storyline right now is Nina and her daughter and Mike and his illness since that’s something different. And Oscar is ok and it could get interesting, but his mom is a drag. Julian is utterly useless these days as is Alexis. They need to bring people like Nikolas and Alcazar back.


Well then by your standards Leslie Charleson needs to go as does Wally Kurth, Kin Shriner, Kimberly McCullough, and Jackie Zeman. Genie never stays around long. I think she hangs around long enough for some paychecks and books out. I don't think she likes the acting life. Her husband is an actor. But you're right. These older actors need to bow out at some point when they no longer serve an interesting point. Alexis has a family though with 3 baby daddies and she's an attorney. Felicia is around for the Ryan story which is just dumb. But she also has a family. They dropped the ball with Felicia many years ago. She came from royalty. Anna? Yikes! She's past her prime. She's a cry baby spy. Time for her to go away and not hook her up with hot sexy Finn. I love Oscar's mom. They just need to give HER a juicy story line outside of him. I love a bad Julian not a good Julian. I love the Nina and her daughter story line too.


Well the difference is they’re not really throwing them into a main storyline like they’re seemingly doing with Laura and Felicia now.

I could also do without Monica; she became a nuisance when she started sucking up to Nelle like an oblivious, in denial old woman who could not see she was being manipulated. The woman has seen so many scams in the Q family and she still can’t see when one is right in front of her. All she can see is hatred for a few certain people and would sooner sign over the entire family fortune before realizing someone she doesn’t like is in the right. KM also pops in so randomly and only on her own time (her last visit being ridiculous and she treated Peter like trash) that they shouldn’t bother with her anymore.

I wouldn’t mind them as much if, after inserting them into important storylines, they actually kept them around rather than letting the storyline disappear into oblivion because the actor is due for their 8 month long “summer vacation” or needs to do another terrible Hallmark movie. Them giving attention to ancient actors who come and go at their own convenience is why the actors of characters like Dante and Nathan and Nikolas end up leaving because they end up doing the same monotonous routine and can’t expand their skills or do anything fun. That’s how we get stuck with Lulus and terrible recast Jordans and Griffins.

centrd
Posts: 6956
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:12 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: What Happened to the Laura Thread?

Postby centrd » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:08 pm

ellenymphea wrote:
DavidaMBurns wrote:
ellenymphea wrote:I don’t know the actor’s personal issues or why she came back (and I certainly don’t like people insulting her appearance as she’s still a pretty woman - she doesnt have to be a supermodel at her age) but I don’t like her character. This isn’t the 80s anymore, there is no real use for her when everyone else from that time is basically gone. Kevin/Ryan is boring, Lucy is a lunatic who I can barely tolerate once a year, and Mac/Felicia don’t do anything except occasionally talk to Maxi. I don’t want characters around for the sole purpose of toting on their grandkids - I want characters with depth and characters who have been around for a while but still have great storylines. They need to get rid of Anna too, she is getting too old to play the same story over and over for decades!

The only compelling storyline right now is Nina and her daughter and Mike and his illness since that’s something different. And Oscar is ok and it could get interesting, but his mom is a drag. Julian is utterly useless these days as is Alexis. They need to bring people like Nikolas and Alcazar back.


Well then by your standards Leslie Charleson needs to go as does Wally Kurth, Kin Shriner, Kimberly McCullough, and Jackie Zeman. Genie never stays around long. I think she hangs around long enough for some paychecks and books out. I don't think she likes the acting life. Her husband is an actor. But you're right. These older actors need to bow out at some point when they no longer serve an interesting point. Alexis has a family though with 3 baby daddies and she's an attorney. Felicia is around for the Ryan story which is just dumb. But she also has a family. They dropped the ball with Felicia many years ago. She came from royalty. Anna? Yikes! She's past her prime. She's a cry baby spy. Time for her to go away and not hook her up with hot sexy Finn. I love Oscar's mom. They just need to give HER a juicy story line outside of him. I love a bad Julian not a good Julian. I love the Nina and her daughter story line too.


Well the difference is they’re not really throwing them into a main storyline like they’re seemingly doing with Laura and Felicia now.

I could also do without Monica; she became a nuisance when she started sucking up to Nelle like an oblivious, in denial old woman who could not see she was being manipulated. The woman has seen so many scams in the Q family and she still can’t see when one is right in front of her. All she can see is hatred for a few certain people and would sooner sign over the entire family fortune before realizing someone she doesn’t like is in the right. KM also pops in so randomly and only on her own time (her last visit being ridiculous and she treated Peter like trash) that they shouldn’t bother with her anymore.

I wouldn’t mind them as much if, after inserting them into important storylines, they actually kept them around rather than letting the storyline disappear into oblivion because the actor is due for their 8 month long “summer vacation” or needs to do another terrible Hallmark movie. Them giving attention to ancient actors who come and go at their own convenience is why the actors of characters like Dante and Nathan and Nikolas end up leaving because they end up doing the same monotonous routine and can’t expand their skills or do anything fun. That’s how we get stuck with Lulus and terrible recast Jordans and Griffins.


I don't agree with everything you're saying but I do agree that giving these marginal characters major storylines takes stories away from good actors like Dante and Nicholas. They made them both so irrelevant it's ridiculous. They were favorite leading men, and yet they think we'd rather see some over-their-prime actor pull faces and overact in general? They need to stop listening to the vocal minority and pay attention to who the majority of people are actually interested in seeing. If GH doesn't have focus groups in their budget right now, they need to fit them back in, because what they're doing right now is not working. The ratings are dropping every week, 5 weeks in a row hitting new low ratings points in some age groups. The show cannot survive if this continues. (If you want to see all of the ratings, check the last post in the Killy/Dream Appreciation thread.

Dberels16
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:37 am

Re: What Happened to the Laura Thread?

Postby Dberels16 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:08 pm

I would hate to see GH drop all of its mature actors to recurring because someone decides that no one wants to watch them. I do. I enjoy Anna/Finn, Laura/Kevin (not Ryan), Felicia/MAC, Alexis, Kim, etc. I truly don’t enjoy Joss, Cam, and Oscar, although they are good actors. High school and college students just don’t carry a show for me. Yes they could develop Chase, Dante, Peter and Maxie and even Lulu with a recast. Michael too.


Return to “General Hospital”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Winterhaven and 1 guest

Back to Top