Kayla, are you kidding me?! (Reading glasses rant)

Days of our Lives board to discuss your fave NBC soap!
DIYguy3

Kayla, are you kidding me?! (Reading glasses rant)

Postby DIYguy3 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:32 pm

All right. I delivered some atta boys (and gals) to Wardrobe for Kristian Alfonso this week.

Now it's time to give some side eye for Kayla.

I'm catching up on episodes and it's Wednesday's show when Kayla and Belle discuss the advance directive.

So, Belle's talking about this extremely serious, gut wrenching matter, hands Kayla the piece of paper and the camera cuts back to Belle and then back to Kayla, who suddenly puts on these COMICAL, NEON PINK, *loud* clown glasses.

Whoever decided to put Kayla in *those* glasses on *this* episode with this heavy subject matter, well, I hope they see this post.

You don't quickly cut to a character wearing neon pink clown glasses when discussing death, "Days."

It's just...an odd choice.

Why? Because I busted a gut. Not crying, from the scene's emotion, but laughing.

The glasses were hideous, and highly inappropriate.

Kerrbear

Re: Kayla, are you kidding me?! (Reading glasses rant)

Postby Kerrbear » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:43 pm

I making a post about this but was too busy ranting about Belle. They were absurd though, I have no idea what that was all about Lol.

DIYguy3

Postby DIYguy3 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:47 pm

That was straight from the "Passions" playbook. To temper high drama with absurdity. (And I loved Passions, but I don't think that sort of thing works on "Days.")

It was funny (I mean I laughed for a full minute), but it took me out of the scene.

lurker girl

Postby lurker girl » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:09 pm

DIYguy3 wrote:That was straight from the "Passions" playbook. To temper high drama with absurdity. (And I loved Passions, but I don't think that sort of thing works on "Days.")

It was funny (I mean I laughed for a full minute), but it took me out of the scene.

I have pretty much stopped posting here but had to let you know that Kayla always wears those glasses, except when she's wearing her white ones or green ones, which are the same style. And MBE wears those in RL, too. They are really ridiculous, IA.

SpookyMom

Postby SpookyMom » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:14 pm

I’m thinking that it was meant to simply punctuate the complete absurdity of this entire storyline. As though Belle really were legally bound to give any papers to anyone regarding her mothers healthcare. As though Marlenas advance directive would not have already been on file with her primary care doctor. As though the hospital were actually legally bound to carry out the directive. As though Belle would really even do that against her fathers wishes. Oh for Pete’s sake..as though that ventilator were really keeping Marlena alive, even though it has never even been turned on...etc.,etc.

SpookyMom

Postby SpookyMom » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:17 pm

lurker girl wrote:
DIYguy3 wrote:That was straight from the "Passions" playbook. To temper high drama with absurdity. (And I loved Passions, but I don't think that sort of thing works on "Days.")

I have pretty much stopped posting here but had to let you know that Kayla always wears those glasses, except when she's wearing her white ones or green ones, which are the same style. And MBE wears those in RL, too. They are really ridiculous, IA.

Yes, Kayla is always wearing the comical reading glasses. But they usually go well with her Little Bo Peep dresses.

DIYguy3

Postby DIYguy3 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:30 pm

Oh, I knew Kayla wears similar glasses (They certainly received a lot of airtime during the Abby/Gabby storyline.)

But those were different circumstances, I felt.

A legacy character -- no, I'm sorry -- one of the *most* iconic characters in the history of daytime television is about to DIE, and the show has Kayla whip out those ridiculous, humorous reading glasses.

It was funny, no doubt, and maybe the show felt we needed to laugh some because we cried so much this week.

But still...

lurker girl wrote:

DIYguy3

Postby DIYguy3 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:32 pm

Good point.

I'm going to chew on this because it would also align with a certain theory spreading on social media...

Time will tell if that theory is correct.

SpookyMom wrote:I’m thinking that it was meant to simply punctuate the complete absurdity of this entire storyline. As though Belle really were legally bound to give any papers to anyone regarding her mothers healthcare. As though Marlenas advance directive would not have already been on file with her primary care doctor. As though the hospital were actually legally bound to carry out the directive. As though Belle would really even do that against her fathers wishes. Oh for Pete’s sake..as though that ventilator were really keeping Marlena alive, even though it has never even been turned on...etc.,etc.

moocat

Postby moocat » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:31 pm

Oh SpookyMom I laughed at your post! You are so right about the Bo Peep dresses. Her wardrobe isn't always flattering. Kayla is a pretty woman and those glasses looked like she was going to step out into a comic routine.

YandR and Days

Postby YandR and Days » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:23 pm

lurker girl wrote:

There you are! I've been thinking about starting a thread, "Where Oh Where Art Thou Luker Girl?" I've missed you! :mrgreen:

Odd one out, I love crazy reading glasses! My BFF is SO classy with her glistening white hair while she's draped in accsessories to The Nines, I can't WAIT to see what she pulls out of her purse when we meet for drinks, think Meryl Streep in "The Devil Wears Prada!" :lol:

Welcome back, LG! :mrgreen: Don't stay away so long! :D

Return to “Days of Our Lives”