What Michael Baldwin should have done

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
Gord Lindsay

What Michael Baldwin should have done

Postby Gord Lindsay » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:30 pm

Here is what Michael Baldwin should have done, if he was truly providing proper representation for Lily.

1. He should never have let her plead guilty. A trial would have allowed him to bring out mitigating factors in her culpability regarding the accident.

2. At a trial, he should have called Lily's son Charlie as a witness, even though Charlie would testify that he saw his mother go through a red light. The examination should have gone like this:

Michael: Charlie, were you present at the accident?
Charlie: Yes.
Michael: Where were you?
Charlie: I was sitting in the back seat of the car.
Michael: Please tell the jury what you saw.
Charlie: My Mom went through a red light, and a truck ran into us.
Michael: Charlie, did your Mom see the red light?
Charlie: No.
Michael: How do you know that?
Charlie: Because she was distracted, and wasn't looking at the road.
MIchael: How was she distracted?
Charlie: Hilary was in the front passenger seat, and was arguing with her. They were yelling very angrily at each other.
Michael: So, your Mother was turned towards Hilary when the accident occurred?

3. In his summation. Michael should argue that if Hilary had grabbed the steering wheel from Lily, or covered Lily's eyes, the law would not hold Lily responsible, even though she was driving. In the eyes of the law, Lily would be innocent. Michael should then go on to say that, in this case, Lily was compromised by a passenger who kept up a fierce argument with her with no regard for the safety of others. The fact that Lily was harassed while driving should factor in to reduce her sentence. Any reasonable judge or jury would take this into consideration,, i.e. that Lily was not solely responsible for the accident. Then again, the best way to get a favourable judicial decision in Genoa City, is, of course, to bribe the judge and members of the jury.

Riskybeee

Re: What Michael Baldwin should have done

Postby Riskybeee » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:02 am

LOL what? You wanted her son to go on stand admit she was driving and not paying attention?? She could have pulled over to argue. It isn't Hilary's fault Lily behaved like a crazy person.

VictorFan22

Postby VictorFan22 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:49 pm

Thanks for letting us know, person that isn't a lawyer.

jonny0123

Postby jonny0123 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:09 pm

As another "person who is not a lawyer" I was interested to see if Michael could plea Lilly down to manslaughter from homicide. In my state there are three offenses: (1) Aggravated Vehicular Homicide; (2) Vehicular Homicide; and (3) Vehicular Manslaughter.

However, going on google, I see that in Wisconsin there is only “homicide by negligent operation of a vehicle” and “homicide by intoxicated use of a vehicle.”

Since Lilly wasn't intoxicated, she was charged with “homicide by negligent operation of a vehicle." A conviction carries up to 10 years in prison and/or a maximum $25,000 in fines. So Hillary and the unborn baby is two charges - so 20 years in prison and/or $50,000 - the show's writers actually got it right.

And, as already mentioned, Australia does have extradition with the USA, so fleeing isn't going to solve anything!

Newby4Lane

Postby Newby4Lane » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:24 pm

Riskybeee wrote:LOL what? You wanted her son to go on stand admit she was driving and not paying attention?? She could have pulled over to argue. It isn't Hilary's fault Lily behaved like a crazy person.

How was Lily behaving like a crazy person? Wasn't Hilary giving as good as she got? Wasn't she arguing as well? It stands to reason that if they were both participants in this argument, and Lily behaved like a crazy person, then Hilary would have too.

So many have started threads about the accident and so many people want to blame Lily ONLY. Why didn't Hilary just shut up? Why is Lily being blamed for the argument? It takes two....

Hilary should have been the one concerned for her and her baby's safety! Their safety was not solely Lily's responsibility.

Newby4Lane

Postby Newby4Lane » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:26 pm

Gord Lindsay wrote:Here is what Michael Baldwin should have done, if he was truly providing proper representation for Lily.

1. He should never have let her plead guilty. A trial would have allowed him to bring out mitigating factors in her culpability regarding the accident.

2. At a trial, he should have called Lily's son Charlie as a witness, even though Charlie would testify that he saw his mother go through a red light. The examination should have gone like this:

Charlie: Hilary was in the front passenger seat, and was arguing with her. They were yelling very angrily at each other.

3. In his summation. Michael should argue that if Hilary had grabbed the steering wheel from Lily, or covered Lily's eyes, the law would not hold Lily responsible, even though she was driving. In the eyes of the law, Lily would be innocent. Michael should then go on to say that, in this case, Lily was compromised by a passenger who kept up a fierce argument with her with no regard for the safety of others. The fact that Lily was harassed while driving should factor in to reduce her sentence. Any reasonable judge or jury would take this into consideration,, i.e. that Lily was not solely responsible for the accident. Then again, the best way to get a favourable judicial decision in Genoa City, is, of course, to bribe the judge and members of the jury.

Thank you....a voice of reason.

NCgirlie33

Postby NCgirlie33 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:18 pm

Gord Lindsay wrote:Here is what Michael Baldwin should have done, if he was truly providing proper representation for Lily.

I agree with your theory 100% and I couldn't of said it better myself. I like how you took your time and explained what Michael should of done and you could be an attorney yourself! Great post! :)

NCgirlie33

Postby NCgirlie33 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:22 pm

Newby4Lane wrote:
Riskybeee wrote:LOL what? You wanted her son to go on stand admit she was driving and not paying attention?? She could have pulled over to argue. It isn't Hilary's fault Lily behaved like a crazy person.

How was Lily behaving like a crazy person? Wasn't Hilary giving as good as she got? Wasn't she arguing as well? It stands to reason that if they were both participants in this argument, and Lily behaved like a crazy person, then Hilary would have too.

So many have started threads about the accident and so many people want to blame Lily ONLY. Why didn't Hilary just shut up? Why is Lily being blamed for the argument? It takes two....

Hilary should have been the one concerned for her and her baby's safety! Their safety was not solely Lily's responsibility.

Exactly! It takes 2 to argue or fuss so Lily doesn't get all the blame for what happened to Hilary! Great point!

taramartin

Postby taramartin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:37 pm

Both women were in a heated argument, Lily should've pulled over and/or Hillary should've asked her to but their main intent was to find (horrible) Shauna. They should've agreed to put off the argument but of course in the heat of the moment they weren't thinking.
I used to drive in a group with a man driving with me in the backseat. He was always talking and tried to keep eye contact with me - I would always look away (he was not flirting), I finally gave up the group and drove alone, it made me very nervous.

BrendaMorganQ

Postby BrendaMorganQ » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:12 pm

4. The best reason conflict of interest: Christine Blair has been friends with the family for years; she defended the defendant and her ex-husband years earlier; she most recently lost her own child 1st conceived child while pregnant to a distracted driver. In fact the driver of the car that killed her child was none other than the defendant's father and she was unable to send him to prison for the accident.

5. He could argue that both drivers were at fault. Although Lily ran the red light, the impact that was suffered implies that truck driver was also speeding. The car was struck from the side by the truck, not the other way around. Michael would need to pull out all of the stops and request time to review the evidence against his client and seek expert witnesses as to the speed of both vehicles.

6. He should have had her bound and gaged until after he entered a plea of not guilty. Michael didn't even get a chance to plea bargin.

Return to “The Young and the Restless”