If I was Latino I would be offended!!

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
LULIX

If I was Latino I would be offended!!

Postby LULIX » Fri May 18, 2018 4:11 am

Whst’s Up with they way Niki says his name? I can’t Recall anyone else saying his name but god Niki and those rrrrrrr damn girl.

But Arturo accent sounds a little over the top and fake all the time. He seems like an opportunist. He picked the right ding bat to use with Abby.

KateKate

Re: If I was Latino I would be offended!!

Postby KateKate » Fri May 18, 2018 6:37 am

LULIX wrote:Whst’s Up with they way Niki says his name? I can’t Recall anyone else saying his name but god Niki and those rrrrrrr damn girl.

But Arturo accent sounds a little over the top and fake all the time. He seems like an opportunist. He picked the right ding bat to use with Abby.

I've been saying this. They keep using these stereotypical names and pronunciations. They need some Hispanic sensitivity training or the next thing you know, they'll be having Nikki buy him a sombrero and a serape for his birthday.

NJ SOAP LADY

Postby NJ SOAP LADY » Fri May 18, 2018 6:51 am

KateKate wrote:
LULIX wrote:Whst’s Up with they way Niki says his name? I can’t Recall anyone else saying his name but god Niki and those rrrrrrr damn girl.

I've been saying this. They keep using these stereotypical names and pronunciations. They need some Hispanic sensitivity training or the next thing you know, they'll be having Nikki buy him a sombrero and a serape for his birthday.

Makes me glad I don't have sound on and only use closed caption

KateKate

Postby KateKate » Fri May 18, 2018 6:56 am

NJ SOAP LADY wrote:
KateKate wrote:

Makes me glad I don't have sound on and only use closed caption

It would be awesome if the CC looked like this: Nikki: Where is Arrrrrrrrturrrrrro? [dramatic music] . :lol:

jmunoz4u

Postby jmunoz4u » Fri May 18, 2018 8:06 am

I am Latino. I am not offended. She is trying to say the name as close to the Spanish pronunciation as possible. It is no big deal. Some people say it right others are well intentioned but say it to dramatically. Btw- “Arturo” is a very pretty name. As for accents, LOTS of people have an accent- Spanish, Italian, German, Russian, Australian (Cane Ashby), French, whatever... They cant help it. It is a reality. I am cool with his accent. It is what it is.

Thankful you are being considerate but I would pick a different battle. This is no big deal unless humiliation and cruelty is attached, which i do not see. I venture to guess this is true for most Latinos as well.

taramartin

Postby taramartin » Fri May 18, 2018 9:11 am

jmunoz4u wrote:I am Latino. I am not offended. She is trying to say the name as close to the Spanish pronunciation as possible. It is no big deal. Some people say it right others are well intentioned but say it to dramatically. Btw- “Arturo” is a very pretty name. As for accents, LOTS of people have an accent- Spanish, Italian, German, Russian, Australian (Cane Ashby), French, whatever... They cant help it. It is a reality. I am cool with his accent. It is what it is.

Thankful you are being considerate but I would pick a different battle. This is no big deal unless humiliation and cruelty is attached, which i do not see. I venture to guess this is true for most Latinos as well.

Thank you for this post. I was assuming Nikki was trying to pronounce his name properly, if she is messing it up I am not the one to know.

CarselSoap

Postby CarselSoap » Fri May 18, 2018 9:46 am

Hate to break it to you but not everyone can pronounce every name correctly and nobody should take offense to that. I'm half french and can't roll my r's no matter how hard I try. Don't even try to get me to speak French. I hear nothing wrong with Arturo's accent.

ajsp35801

Postby ajsp35801 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:07 am

Accents aren't offensive. Arturo has a mild accent. Nothing wrong with that.

softkitty303

Postby softkitty303 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:04 am

I don't think it's offensive (but idk...I'm a white girl lol) I think it's great anyone wants to try to get as close to the proper pronunciation as possible, but I do think it's ridiculous for it to be so forced. If it doesn't come naturally, it just sounds silly. I personally can't roll my r's to save my life! :lol: so I'm kinda jealous. BUT I add again, if it's forced - not great. There's a hispanic newscaster in my area that HAS to over enunciate any spanish word and even though I'm sure it's his native tongue - it cracks me up every time becaue it sounds forced. Just MHO

BobbiSox

Postby BobbiSox » Fri May 18, 2018 11:04 am

Having lived in Los Angeles for 25 years, I find the Hispanic language to be quite lovely. All accents are interesting to me. I have a New England accent myself and could never really shake it entirely. If a person speaks with a foreign accent, it means they can speak at least two languages, which puts them miles ahead of about 75% of Americans who only speak one language.

Return to “The Young and the Restless”