What would Bill Bell think?

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
nytwhatevr

Re: What would Bill Bell think?

Postby nytwhatevr » Thu May 17, 2018 2:32 pm

BobbiSox wrote:
KateKate wrote:
kijones68 wrote:Bill Bell would be ticked by that dead snake plant that was behind Billy in the Jabot chair..He was all about pretty live flowers.

OMG. THANK YOU! You're so right. Bill Bell loved opulence and class. He would hate the Walmart inspired sets they use now.

Oh yes, he did love the elegance. Dinner parties at the Collonade Room, and wasn't there a Top of the Tower?

There still is a TOTT.

suzziy

Postby suzziy » Thu May 17, 2018 2:36 pm

smoken wrote:I have been asking this question since they started the storyline with Jack not being an Abbott what would Bill Bell think of the way they have screwed up his stoylines and Changed his history because he was the one who made this show. Over 30 years of History erased because of stupid storytelling and I swear to God if they make Victor Jack's father I am done with the show, I hope that this story ends with Jack actually being an Abbott because I'm tired of this storyline and the disrespect to history. I thought this show actually went downhill when they did the whole Nick being Summers father and then changing it to Jack Back to Nick but I was willing to give the benefit of a doubt then they did that whole stupid storyline with Adam hitting Delia with his car none of these storylines made sense and it was just bad storytelling and it continues to get worse I bet Bill Bell is just turning over in his grave with the way they screwed up his soap that he created. They don't even have the decency to ask Jerry Douglas the man who was John Abbott to come back as a ghost or something to help the storyline along I swear I am just about done with it why I created so much history and then destroy it it makes no sense I'm sorry I'm just had to vent a little, what do you guys think?

I agree with you. Mark my words they are running the show into the ground as they know that this soap will be ending shortly -- I give it another 6 mos. to a year tops.

DAW234

Postby DAW234 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:45 am

KateKate wrote:
effers wrote:I feel like there is somebody really high up who has an ownership stake in the show that is controlling the narrative and that is why we see the same stories over and over - i.e. Victor the hero, Jack the loser, and no room for new and interesting characters. It feels like this person wants the show to die with them.

In short, Bill Bell would be horrified, as he was all about the creative element and setting egos aside for the betterment of the show.

The majority of it has to do with the dwindling revenues and the exorbitant per-episode guarantees that the legacy characters all get. If you can't afford sets and new characters to develop new s/ls, you're going to die a slow death.

It's the age of the show really. In the old days when it centered around younger folks the story was always: boy meets girl, they hate each other but come around, have some adventure or mishap as a couple, get married and have kids. With all the rapid aging over the years all of the characters in the baby-making age range are grandkids of the older characters. They're not gonna have Kyle or Abby or Noah have kids because then that makes the legacy characters great grandparents. Then when they try to bring in younger characters who aren't part of the core families, their stories are lackluster and fans don't give a hoot about them.

effers

Postby effers » Fri May 18, 2018 11:20 am

KateKate wrote:
effers wrote:I feel like there is somebody really high up who has an ownership stake in the show that is controlling the narrative and that is why we see the same stories over and over - i.e. Victor the hero, Jack the loser, and no room for new and interesting characters. It feels like this person wants the show to die with them.

In short, Bill Bell would be horrified, as he was all about the creative element and setting egos aside for the betterment of the show.

The majority of it has to do with the dwindling revenues and the exorbitant per-episode guarantees that the legacy characters all get. If you can't afford sets and new characters to develop new s/ls, you're going to die a slow death.

I don't find this a convincing argument, as legacy characters' contracts go up for renewal just like everyone else and the company can negotiate accordingly. Let them walk if they want to walk. They aren't going to get anything better anywhere else in the current landscape.

rediculous

Postby rediculous » Fri May 18, 2018 11:30 am

I think he would be very excited (as I am) to see his wonderful creation (Shick) back together again...

tetotomom

Postby tetotomom » Fri May 18, 2018 11:48 am

If you stop and think about things today isn't this the same thing that is being done with history as a whole. Changing history to suit who ever is in charge that day. History isn't being taught today because it's always changing. I think it's a crime just for everyday life and for soaps also. Those of us who have watched these soaps since they started cringe when the writers start changeing what we know to be truth as far as the story goes. Same with growing with world or American history
smoken wrote:I have been asking this question since they started the storyline with Jack not being an Abbott what would Bill Bell think of the way they have screwed up his stoylines and Changed his history because he was the one who made this show. Over 30 years of History erased because of stupid storytelling and I swear to God if they make Victor Jack's father I am done with the show, I hope that this story ends with Jack actually being an Abbott because I'm tired of this storyline and the disrespect to history. I thought this show actually went downhill when they did the whole Nick being Summers father and then changing it to Jack Back to Nick but I was willing to give the benefit of a doubt then they did that whole stupid storyline with Adam hitting Delia with his car none of these storylines made sense and it was just bad storytelling and it continues to get worse I bet Bill Bell is just turning over in his grave with the way they screwed up his soap that he created. They don't even have the decency to ask Jerry Douglas the man who was John Abbott to come back as a ghost or something to help the storyline along I swear I am just about done with it why I created so much history and then destroy it it makes no sense I'm sorry I'm just had to vent a little, what do you guys think?

Return to “The Young and the Restless”