This Is Us

Discuss all your favorite television shows here, primetime, daytime, Netflix...
d00l1fan

Re: This Is Us

Postby d00l1fan » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:29 am

vickiekk wrote:OMG, tonight was extra touching to me. I hate knowing that Jack is dead. He was such a great dad (and husband, I think). He was just so good with all of the kids, Kevin always seems to draw the short stick but still he tried his best to be fair and spend as much time as possible with all of them.

Poor Randall, he wanted to impress his kids and the other kids at career day, but it just didn't work. Jack was so great at talking to him as a child and convincing him it was good to be different and use his brain instead of playing like he didn't know as much so he would be liked better.

Then poor Kevin, he really gets to feel sadness, sympathy and gets the girl and she is a bit@h! His head is reeling.

And then Kate, I hated finding out that she had a bad relationship with her mom and especially the reason for it. I think that reason is something the mom should fix or be able to fix, especially after all these years, but maybe not. :( :( :(

Obviously I missed something, Kate and Rebecca have a bad relationship? Why?

vickiekk

Postby vickiekk » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:42 am

Just what are you doing during this show? lol Kate told her new boss'es bratty daughter before she left work and after putting her out of her car that she had a bad relationship with her mother because she was jealous of her. That people had asked Rebecca if she was a model, things like that and of course Kate couldn't compare. She said she realized now that it was HER (Kate's) problem, but she wishes she had never let it happen because he had barely spoken to her mother in a long time. She told the girl that she guaranteed if she did the same with her mother (who had told Kate that she had said 7 words to her in a long time, "I guess you hired the fat one") that she would regret it. She of course is trying to help their relationship so it doesn't end up like her's and Rebecca's. I never would have expected that. Personally, I don't think it was all Kate's fault. I think Rebecca could have handled things differently so that Kate didn't feel the way she did so much. And she had to know it was uncomfortable for Kate to be compared to her constantly. I know she tried to get her to eat healthier most of the time, but I just think there was more that she/they could have done. Hard or not, it would have been better than her feeling the way she does and did and I know I haven't been there but I feel her pain. JMO

d00l1fan

Postby d00l1fan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:56 am

I was probably looking for that darn Crystal Pepsi that seems to elude me. :shock:

Anyway, I'd like to know exactly how Rebecca was suppose to handle things differently in order to change Kate's jealousy of her. Although we have to wait to see how other things unfold/unfolded between Kate and her mother, I still cant understand what Rebecca could have done. A brown haired child could be jealous of their family having blonde hair but is the family suppose to dye their hair to appease the jealousy? Kate was probably jealous of anyone she considered thin and pretty. She didn't have to live with all of them, just her mother. If Kate is admitting that she treated her mother badly because of her size, then Kate did the exact thing she wouldn't want anybody to do to her.

vickiekk

Postby vickiekk » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:03 pm

d00l1fan wrote:I was probably looking for that darn Crystal Pepsi that seems to elude me. :shock:

Anyway, I'd like to know exactly how Rebecca was suppose to handle things differently in order to change Kate's jealousy of her. Although we have to wait to see how other things unfold/unfolded between Kate and her mother, I still cant understand what Rebecca could have done. A brown haired child could be jealous of their family having blonde hair but is the family suppose to dye their hair to appease the jealousy? Kate was probably jealous of anyone she considered thin and pretty. She didn't have to live with all of them, just her mother. If Kate is admitting that she treated her mother badly because of her size, then Kate did the exact thing she wouldn't want anybody to do to her.

Well, I'm not a shrink, even though I play one on TV, but since Kate's jealousy started as a child, I think that as a mom, Rebecca could have done something to help assuage it at a young age. Which of course would have helped her life totally and their relationship very much, even if she still held some jealousy inside her. I can't say how exactly, but I am sure a shrink could. You know, as per your example, you tell the child and show them, "do you know how many people want and are jealous of YOUR brown hair?". Not a great example, but something along those lines. There is always a way if you try hard enough, and that is why I say it was Rebecca's fault more, because she was the adult/mom and even though she couldn't help how Kate felt in her heart, she could have done something, even if if meant a psychiatrist, or whatever to help her get a handle on it while she was young. As I say, JMO.

d00l1fan

Postby d00l1fan » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:55 am

I love how the layers of these characters unfold in every episode.

Kate is doing all the right things as far as exercising, eating right, calorie counting for better health and weight loss. I completely felt her disappointment at the weigh-in. When you’re on a diet, losing any weight is something to be proud of. Kate learns she only lost a “pound and a quarter”. Obviously she expected to hear she had lost more than that and it didn’t help that Toby lost eight pounds. Not that she wasn’t happy for him, but that glaring disparity only magnified her disappointment. Losing weight is truly a “crawl before you walk” kind of thing and for some, patience is a hard kind of virtue.
Who thought Toby had a woman in his apartment when Kate showed up? I know I did.
It was nice to see Beth and William spend some time together. William started to recite a poem that Beth was familiar with. He asked her how she knew that poem. It came from a book Randall had. Unfortunately, William let the cat out of the bag by revealing that he gave Rebecca that book of poems years before. Beth is shocked and knows Randall will be upset once he finds out. William asks her not to tell but Beth can’t hide this from her husband.
I’d like to know where Beth got that special ingredient for those grown-up brownies.

I hate that this secret will come out as it will be a blow to Randall. We’ve seen him struggle with his identity as a child and maybe knowing he could have connected with his biological dad will make him resent Rebecca. I also understand why she kept this to herself. She, in her own way was protecting Randall. She couldn’t possibly know the struggles he would have later on but she wasn’t about to let William be a problem.
We see those layers pulled back as more is revealed about the relationship between Kevin and Randall. Even though Rebecca had to cancel dinner plans with them, they decide to go ahead anyway. A friend of Kevin’s spots him in the restaurant with Randall and Randall doesn’t recognize the guy. After some needling, Kevin realizes that Randall never watched his show The Manny, otherwise he’d know that the guy was his costar for 4 years. He gets pissed and takes off, Randall follows and offers Kevin $1000 if he can tell him what he does for a living.

In the flashbacks, we see (now in their teens) Kevin and Randall’s relationship hasn’t gotten better. Kevin moves out of their room and into the basement after an argument. They both join the football team at their schools and things come to a head when Randall stops Kevin from scoring for his team. They end up in a physical altercation and Jack is pissed.
Did anyone else see the cracks starting to show between Jack and Rebecca?

Back in present time, Kevin and Randall are still arguing on the street when they both spot a billboard with the new Manny on it. It’s a black man. Kevin remarks that he has been “replaced by another black man” and Randall takes him to task, wanting to know exactly why Kevin resents him.
Kevin resents that Randall got “special” treatment and constantly showed him up. They start shoving each other and end up on the ground as onlookers pull out their cellphones. After being offered some help, Kevin tells the onlookers that everything is okay and that Randall is his brother.
Back in the car, as Randall chokes up, he tells Kevin that for the first time in 36 years, he claimed him as his brother.

Another great episode that left me in tears. :cry:

alissain

Postby alissain » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:18 pm

I love this show especially the daughter and her issues but what does not sit right with me is when they fast forwarded to the present and the mom and her deceased husband's best friend were together...that's just wrong.

A fan since way back

Postby A fan since way back » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:53 am

this show is so amazing and heart touching. i have never had a show make me tear up and or ball like baby when something happens. Randalls father William has touched me so. RCJ is such a great actor. All the actors are awesome.

d00l1fan

Postby d00l1fan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:27 pm

A fan since way back wrote:this show is so amazing and heart touching. i have never had a show make me tear up and or ball like baby when something happens. Randalls father William has touched me so. RCJ is such a great actor. All the actors are awesome.

I totally agree. The response to this episode has been so emotional. Even though we knew the inevitable, it still packed a punch. I also loved that song (We Can Always Come Back To This)William wrote and his cousin Ricky sang. I liked both versions of it.

I thought we would get a double whammy. I thought Williams' death would coincide with a reveal about Jack. So, I don't know what to expect. But according to Justin Hartley, we fans, will never guess what happened to Jack. Fans have been posting their theories and Justin said no one has gotten it right, yet.

d00l1fan

Postby d00l1fan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:32 pm

alissain wrote:I love this show especially the daughter and her issues but what does not sit right with me is when they fast forwarded to the present and the mom and her deceased husband's best friend were together...that's just wrong.

I've wondered when did they get together. I hope it wasn't a case of infidelity. I think if it had been, the kids (Kate, Randall and Kevin) may treat Miguel more harsh. But after the episode with Kevin talking to Miguel, it seemed like, he and Rebecca came together after Jack's passing. Maybe even because of it.

Barbyboo

Postby Barbyboo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:45 am

I can't wait for new episodes!

Return to “Primetime television”