This Is Us

Discuss all your favorite television shows here, primetime, daytime, Netflix...
clicquot1

Re: This Is Us

Postby clicquot1 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:53 pm

Such a great show & even though I started out watching it I went back 2 bball!

Hope they rerun the entire season on another channel so I can watch it.....as I missed several eppis!

Such a well written show & we don't get 2 see that enough! 8-) ;)

mayre

Postby mayre » Tue May 09, 2017 2:34 pm

d00l1fan wrote:
SaraG1000 wrote:I am enjoying this show, except for the annoying music. There was a critical scene and the vocals of the music were so loud I couldn't make out the dialogue. Other than that, the acting is great and also the story itself. I wonder why Rebecca did not tell Randal after he was an adult, that she knew where his father was and had met with him. I'm not clear on whether she ever told Jack she had met with Randal's bio father. And when Rebecca came to visit Randal and his family, who was the new husband and when was he brought into the story. I'm sure I saw all of the episodes but must have missed the breakup of Jack and Rebecca. For me stories that constantly jump from past to present become confusing.

Rebecca's new husband is Jack's friend. They were drinking at a bar when Jack was saying something/complaining about his marriage. His friend told him to appreciate what he had with Rebecca. I forgot the friend's name though.

Miguil

DarthCardo

Postby DarthCardo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:42 pm

Has anyone heard when Season Two will premiere? I can't wait!! This show is incredible!

d00l1fan

Postby d00l1fan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:39 am

Well, there is no specific air date I can find but it will be on this fall. I'm hoping for a September premiere. A few days ago, I read somewhere on EW.com ( Entertainment Weekly) that the cast was currently filming. They also said that there will be a huge reveal (part of the puzzle) in the first episode that clues us in on how Jack may have died. The writers said that there have been many theories on how Jack died but no one has been right so far or even close to what actually happens. I'm tapped out of ideas. So either he isn't dead or aliens abducted him. :shock:

DarthCardo

Postby DarthCardo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:19 pm

d00l1fan wrote:Well, there is no specific air date I can find but it will be on this fall. I'm hoping for a September premiere. A few days ago, I read somewhere on EW.com ( Entertainment Weekly) that the cast was currently filming. They also said that there will be a huge reveal (part of the puzzle) in the first episode that clues us in on how Jack may have died. The writers said that there have been many theories on how Jack died but no one has been right so far or even close to what actually happens. I'm tapped out of ideas. So either he isn't dead or aliens abducted him. :shock:

Oh my!!! That is going to be so awesome to get a hint or better still, a reveal, about what happened to Jack!! I can't imagine what it will be because there are so many theories out there! Perhaps aliens DID kidnap him!! :lol: I just hope that we will continue to see him as much as in the first season. He is such a wonderful character and definitely my favorite! Anyway, I had been looking for the air date, but haven't found anything either. Thanks for your reply! Here's lo Season Two!! I can't wait! :D

d00l1fan

Postby d00l1fan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:56 am

Season 2 returns on September 26th. :D

d00l1fan

Postby d00l1fan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:50 pm

Okay, so This is Us - Season 2 debuted a few days ago with the promise of a major clue on how Jack may have died. And boy did we get one. But we are (or at least I am) no closer to figuring out what actually happened. I have a few guesses but of course, they'll add twists and turns and knock my theory right out the window. All theories are plausible since their isn't anything to dispute them.

So, at the end of the episode, Rebecca goes to Miguel's house to talk Jack into coming home and tells him she shouldn't have kicked him out of the house after their big fight. He tells her that even as they speak, he is drunk and has been for weeks. She is stunned. He tells her is wont come home until he gets help and shuts the door. But Rebecca wont leave and says they will "get through this together because that's what they do".

And Jack decides to go home. We then see them in the car on their way home when the scene segues into just Rebecca driving alone. There is a plastic bag on the passenger seat with Jack's personal items in them. She (Rebecca) pulls up in front of their house and there are firemen and a smoldering burned down house. She screams and beats on the steering wheel, the episode ends.

So, did Jack die in the fire? Cause the fire? Kate says it was her fault that he died. How is it her fault? She and Randall were at Miguel's house. Kevin is smooching some girl in what looks like a parking lot and he has a cast on his leg. Kate tells Randall they have to find Kevin (to tell him their Dad is dead). She says she has to be the one to tell him.

More questions than answers but on a side note, the producers,writers or whoever did say that we fans wont have to wait until the season finale to find out what happened. The reveal will happen before that, mid-season I think.

I wont hold my breath. :|

d00l1fan

Postby d00l1fan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:49 pm

We finally get to see Sylvester Stallone playing …Sylvester Stallone playing some actor on the set of a war movie with Kevin. Kate’s stoked to meet him (I would be too) and reveals her dad Jack was also a big fan of his. (Milo Ventimiglia (Jack) was in a Rocky movie with Stallone so of course he’s a fan...lol)

I hated how Kevin tore into Kate for talking to Sly about their dad’s death. Even though he later apologized for it, it was sad that he treated her like that. She obviously needs to talk about. Not just with her therapist but to the people who were also affected by it. Kate has always blamed herself for her dad’s death, but after tonight’s episode, I wonder if Kevin blames himself too.
In one of the flashback scenes (while Kevin was fumbling his lines), Jack gave Kevin his necklace while he was lying in a hospital bed. We know that at the time of Jack’s death, Kevin was wearing a cast.

I was surprised to see that Randall had been searching for his birth parents as a teen. Even placing an ad in the newspaper. Someone contacted him via a letter saying it was his mom. Randall eventually told Kevin and Kate about it and that he was meeting his “Mom” in the park. A Caucasian woman showed up, stating things that fit whatever Randall had said in the ad. She told him his father was dark skinned, (I guess to explain why he didn’t have a certain complexion). This lady just wanted money and Randall left, disappointed of course. What a cruel thing to do to someone.

It was nice to see Kevin and Kate check to make sure Randall was okay. Especially Kevin, considering their rocky relationship.

Randall and Beth are introduced to their first foster child, a 12 year old girl named Deja. Understandably, she doesn’t want to talk to anyone, just go to bed. Everyone understands they need to be patient with her as she’s coming from a traumatic situation. Beth is helping her settle in by putting her clothing in drawers when she finds a pack of cigarettes. When Deja realizes that Beth found them, she goes ballistic and tries to take the cigarettes. She calls Beth a name and Randall rushes in to see the commotion.

Deja backed off, scared, when Randall came in. I wonder if there’s an issue of abuse.

Beth downplays it a little bit. Later on, the social worker sends Deja’s file over. They (Beth and Randall) see that Deja’s mother has a troubled history and this time, she may not be coming back anytime soon. They break the news to Deja. Randall shares a bit of his history and basically lets Deja know that he even though he wasn’t raised by his birth parents, he still had a loving family and who he is today is because of them.

There’s a flashback scene of William trying to disarm the alarm at Randall’s house when Annie catches him and gets him to stay. It was nice seeing William again.

This isn’t a very good recap, I apologize.

I understand why Kate has been so reluctant to talk about Jack as she feels responsible for his death. Even though I don’t know why yet, I still understand it.

But why is Kevin so reluctant? I don’t recall Randall not being able talk about Jack's death but I don’t remember him talking about it either. Maybe he doesn’t because of Kevin and Kate.

We’ll see if Beth and Randall have bitten off more than they can chew and how Deja’s presence affects the family.

It seems, with a little nudge, Jack and Rebecca were starting to get back on track and I was happy to see him in AA.

I don’t know if we got another clue as to how Jack may have died but if we did, I missed it so please let me know. :D

d00l1fan

Postby d00l1fan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:08 pm

This is Us – Season 2 – Episode 4

I didn’t see that coming.

Janet, Rebecca’s mother, shows up unexpectedly, right as a snowstorm is hitting and all the kids have chicken pox. She criticizes Rebecca’s way of doing things, (how the house is kept, cooking, etc.) and refers to the kids as “the twins and Randall” which infuriates Rebecca. After giving Randall a basketball (for the third time) and making a snide comment about him being the only one to get into a private school, Rebecca has had enough. She thought her mother had a problem with Randall because he was adopted, but now, as Rebecca put it, “it’s abundantly clear it’s because he’s black.” She wants her mother gone after the snowstorm is over and as she turns to leave, Randall is standing there to Rebecca’s horror.

Jack and Rebecca try to explain to Randall that racism has many different faces and undertones. Randall is a bit confused because grandma never said anything mean about black people. They refer to their discussion about Martin Luther King Day and how it’s a day that symbolizes equal rights. Randall blurts out that Martin Luther King was shot because he was trying to get equal rights for black people. For a split-second Randall questions whether grandma was the shooter before Jack and Rebecca squash that idea.

Janet also gave gifts to Kevin (a football helmet) and Kate (a dress that was too small.) When Kate points this out, Rebecca says they will exchange it for one that fits and Janet says to keep the one she has, it’s a “goal dress’’.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

There’s a bit of a breakthrough with Deja. There was verbal altercation at the bowling alley between Randall and another girl’s father, because the girl told Deja her was nasty. Once at home, Deja opened up to Beth. While Beth was combing her hair (That hadn’t been washed in weeks), she discovered bald patches. Beth explains that it could be a condition called Alopecia. Deja says those bald spots come and go which makes Beth think it’s because of stress. Later, after she braids Deja’s hair, she shares the conversation she had with Deja, with Randall, who then tells Deja he understands because he too has had some very stressful times in his own life. Deja seems pissed that Beth told Randall what she shared and proceeds to cut her braids out.

Kevin is hellbent on returning to form so he can finish his movie. He won’t let a little thing like a knee injury keep him down. After a procedure on his knee, he rehabs at Kate and Toby’s apartment. Toby tries to get him to take it easy but Kevin says another knee issue wont mess things up for him. He’s referring to when he injured himself playing football in high school, in front of scouts. He’s watching old movies of Jack, at his football games, happily saying how proud he is of Kevin was and how tough Kevin was.

Kate is preparing for her first big paid gig and exercising a lot to fit into a dress she wants to wear for the event. Toby is proud of how she has set a goal and looks to be achieving it. But Kate is a bit distant, distracted. We later see Kate at a doctor’s appointment for what looks like a checkup. The doctor tells Kate that she and the baby are healthy. What!!!!!!! The baby? I didn’t see that coming. Kate is six weeks along and judging by her smile, she’s happy about it.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

I’m happy for Kate and hope Toby is happy about the pregnancy as well. It’s certainly the most surprising reveal of the night to me.

It looks as though Kevin is going down the same path as Jack.

I was saddened by Janet’s treatment of Randall. It was sad to see him try so hard. I wonder if this is another reason for why Rebecca seems to gravitate more toward Randall.

Return to “Primetime television”