Check your white privilege??

Chat about all the juicy gossip that happens at Seattle Grace Hospital, find links to in-depth recaps and current spoilers!
YRfanForDecades

Check your white privilege??

Postby YRfanForDecades » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:28 pm

Really? I think I just vomited a little in my mouth :roll:

NancyMichael

Re: Check your white privilege??

Postby NancyMichael » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:53 pm

That scene where Amelia believed Jo when she said Stephanie Edwards was lying about something, happened at least two episodes before Amelia suddenly has an issue with OMG DID I DO THAT CUZ I AM A RACIST? Why are they suddenly bringing it up and making it a race thing now? How does Amelia not know if she sided with Wilson because she’s white? How does she not know if she’s a racist? It also seems strange for Maggie’s character to be the one delivering this "teachable moment" monologue to her close friend Amelia. The whole thing is because creator Shonda Rhimes decided she wanted to lecture on race. Again.

test

Lmanning

Postby Lmanning » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:03 pm

NancyMichael wrote:That scene where Amelia believed Jo when she said Stephanie Edwards was lying about something, happened at least two episodes before Amelia suddenly has an issue with OMG DID I DO THAT CUZ I AM A RACIST? Why are they suddenly bringing it up and making it a race thing now? How does Amelia not know if she sided with Wilson because she’s white? How does she not know if she’s a racist? It also seems strange for Maggie’s character to be the one delivering this "teachable moment" monologue to her close friend Amelia. The whole thing is because creator Shonda Rhimes decided she wanted to lecture on race. Again.

test

In the world and time we live in, Amelia's response was nothing weird to me because you feel worried about anything you say now days about race. For example, growing up I was never a skinny child, but I thought that was okay because of Queen Latifah on Living Single. At a young age I looked at her and saw someone like me. She was a beautiful, smart, and funny woman who made me feel like it was okay to be me. Because of her I never thought of myself as fat or ugly. I grew up without the body image problems most girls have. Yet I fear what someone might say if I say any of this because I am white. As a little girl I didn't see her by her race, but I saw a beautiful confident woman inside and out. However I can't feel free to say this apart from to my dad who knows I'm speaking from my heart and anonymously this board where you don't know me. Queen Latifah taught me that your weight doesn't define you as a person, and you're beautiful just the way you are no matter what. Even now I wonder what someone will say to this post or if I should even posted. I guess I'll find out....

BrendaMorganQ

Postby BrendaMorganQ » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:16 pm

Lmanning wrote:test

In the world and time we live in, Amelia's response was nothing weird to me because you feel worried about anything you say now days about race. For example, growing up I was never a skinny child, but I thought that was okay because of Queen Latifah on Living Single. At a young age I looked at her and saw someone like me. She was a beautiful, smart, and funny woman who made me feel like it was okay to be me. Because of her I never thought of myself as fat or ugly. I grew up without the body image problems most girls have. Yet I fear what someone might say if I say any of this because I am white. As a little girl I didn't see her by her race, but I saw a beautiful confident woman inside and out. However I can't feel free to say this apart from to my dad who knows I'm speaking from my heart and anonymously this board where you don't know me. Queen Latifah taught me that your weight doesn't define you as a person, and you're beautiful just the way you are no matter what. Even now I wonder what someone will say to this post or if I should even posted. I guess I'll find out....[/quote]

Why wouldn't you be able to say that regardless of your outer skin complexion? I grew up a military brat so my views on life, as my parents are forever reminding me, are not the same as others. Your post reminds me a dear friend from high school. the older we got the more we didn't understand things (the world around us) or rather the world outside of the gate. We grew up watching The Cosby Show and thought nothing about their way of life as special or extraordinary.
Our parents both worked, had educations, we each had at least two cars, spoke American English (not Ubonics) and we were considered middleclass. When went to sporting events against schools in the southern part of our city, some of the black kids on the other teams called us names, tried to beat us told us to stop acting or talking white. We looked at them like they were from a different planet. Once she said, we are not rich our parents work for a living. To this day we are both still amazed at how our country divides everything by race and dollar amount.

alissain

Postby alissain » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:30 pm

What does it have to be with you being White that it's wrong with being happy with who you are ? Being happy with oneself regardless of weight is something every person..
White...Black...Asian...Hispanic ...Native American is entitled to feel...being happy with oneself isn't restricted to any particular group....that's crazy.

Return to “Grey's Anatomy”