Guiding Lights fans cooking...

Bizzie Fan

Re: Guiding Lights fans cooking...

Postby Bizzie Fan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi! Rosie. Hope everyone is feeling better. Glad to post with you again. Still enjoying reading your recipies.

Rosie Butterface

Postby Rosie Butterface » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:33 pm

Dr. Tim Ryan's Green Bean Casserole. Jordan Clarke was on GL from 74-76 as Dr. Tim Ryan. He later came back to Gl in a diffier role-----Billy Lewis. I was still able to use my hands to tell people how old I was and do not recall him as Dr. Ryan, but found this interesting. I do not think Bill y should eat too much of this---bacon is in it. Best Wishes to Jordan Clarke and hope he as a fast and full recovery!!!

4 slices bacon
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup with roasted garlic
3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt with no MSG
1/3 teaspoon white pepper
2 (15.5 ounce) cans French cut green beans, drained
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and fry until crisp. Remove from the skillet to drain on paper towels. Pour olive oil into the skillet, and reduce heat to medium. When oil is hot, add mushrooms and onion; cook, stirring frequently until the onions start to become translucent. Add garlic, and fry for a couple of minutes, just until fragrant. Stir in the mushroom soup and almonds, and bring to a boil. Season with seasoned salt and white pepper, and crumble in the bacon. Gently stir in the green beans, then transfer the mixture to a casserole dish. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from the oven, and sprinkle Cheddar cheese over the top. Return to the oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Rosie Butterface

Postby Rosie Butterface » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:36 pm

Quote Bizzie Fan: Hi! Rosie. Hope everyone is feeling better. Glad to post with you again. Still enjoying reading your recipies.

Hi Bizzie---we are doing well, just so gosh darn busy---I am just worn out!! Hope you and everyone are doing GREAT!!! I have been slacking with my post--sorry. I still really miss GL. I thought time would help, but with the holidays, it is like a family member gone. But we all keep pluging away!

Bizzie Fan

Postby Bizzie Fan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:25 pm

Quote Rosie Butterface:
Quote Bizzie Fan: Hi! Rosie. Hope everyone is feeling better. Glad to post with you again. Still enjoying reading your recipies.

Hi Bizzie---we are doing well, just so gosh darn busy---I am just worn out!! Hope you and everyone are doing GREAT!!! I have been slacking with my post--sorry. I still really miss GL. I thought time would help, but with the holidays, it is like a family member gone. But we all keep pluging away!
Glad everyone is doing well. No need to be sorry. I am guilty of slacking to post too. I also still miss GL just as much as I did the first week.

Rosie Butterface

Postby Rosie Butterface » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:46 pm

Company’s Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes. I am guessing Buzz is getting ready to have a big Thanksgiving Feast at Company. In memory of Coop, he would have it open to all to come and eat there; friends, foe, and all those in-between. My extended family has a big Christmas, and much work has to be done a head of time
5 pounds potatoes, cut
2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese
8 ounces sour cream
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons onion salt
ground black pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place potatoes in a large pot of lightly salted water. Bring to a boil, and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, and mash. In a large bowl, mix mashed potatoes, cream cheese, sour cream, milk, onion salt, and pepper. Transfer to a large casserole dish. Cover, and bake for 50 minutes in the preheated oven.

Rosie Butterface

Postby Rosie Butterface » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:15 am

Hot Roxy Cranberry Drink. I mean Roxy Shayne, not Lizzie's dog Roxy. Roxy Shanyne was Hot, sweet and a little spicy. I am not a cranberry fan, but maybe with a little(or a lot if inlaws are coming over) vodka might help!!!
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
6 cups water, divided
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup red cinnamon candies
7 whole cloves
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Directions
In a saucepan, cook cranberries in 2 cups water until they pop. Strain through a fine sieve, reserving juice and discarding skins; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, candies, cloves and remaining water. Cook until candies are dissolved. Add orange and lemon juices and reserved cranberry juice; heat though. Remove cloves. Serve hot.

Rosie Butterface

Postby Rosie Butterface » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:59 am

Mike Bauer's Marbled Pumpkin Cheesecake. You will feel so guilty after eating this, you will think you will need a lawyer. I sometimes forget about Mike Bauer, but liked him. He was what Ross later became. Oh, Ross was a good lawyer too. He started out kind of not that nice, but became a figure we all loved and miss from the GL line up!
1 1/2 cups crushed gingersnap cookies
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1/3 cup butter, melted

2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup white sugar, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, mix together the crushed gingersnap cookies, pecans, and butter. Press into the bottom, and about 1 inch up the sides of a 9 inch springform pan. Bake crust 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Set aside to cool.
2.In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, and vanilla just until smooth. Mix in eggs one at a time, blending well after each. Set aside 1 cup of the mixture. Blend 1/4 cup sugar, pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg into the remaining mixture.
3.Spread the pumpkin flavored batter into the crust, and drop the plain batter by spoonfuls onto the top. Swirl with a knife to create a marbled effect.
4.Bake 55 minutes in the preheated oven, or until filling is set. Run a knife around the edge of the pan. Allow to cool before removing pan rim. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.

Rosie Butterface

Postby Rosie Butterface » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:49 am

Carmen Santo’s Chicken Enchilada Casserole. This recipe requires cutting up the tortilla into little bits and pieces, just like Carmen did with some of her enemies. This is a good recipe for leftover turkey too!!!
12 tortillas, 6-in diameter
2 cans of Cream of Chicken soup
2C. sour cream with chives
3-4 C. diced, cooked chicken (or turkey)
Shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheeses
1(4oz) can of jalapeno or green chilies peppers, diced
Diced black olives
Butter 9X13 in pan. Tear up 6 tortillas in bite sized pieces and spread on bottom of pan. Put ½ of chicken next. Mix soup and sour cream and spread over chicken. Sprinkle cheese and chilies next. Repeat later. Top with black olives. Bake at 350 degree for 45 minutes or until bubble. Let set a few minutes before cutting.

Rosie Butterface

Postby Rosie Butterface » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:16 am

Sweet and Sour Roger Thrope's Meatballs. Oh Roger was so sweet, even when he was being a sour puss!! I miss Roger and miss MZ more.
1 1/2 lb. hamburger
1C. crushed soda crackers
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 C. milk.
Mix together and let soften. Make into balls. Lat in single later in baking pan. Then mix the sauce:
1/2 C. diced onion
1/2 C. Green pepper
1 1/2 C. catsup or ketchup
1/4 C. vinegar
1/4 C. Sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Dash of garlic salt. Mix together sauce. Pour over meatballs and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. My sister likes to entertain a lot and will often buy packages meatballs, make the sauce and pour over and put in cookpot and let it go. It is very good both ways!!

Rosie Butterface

Postby Rosie Butterface » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:01 am

Ok--Sorry I have been AWOL--it has been crazy at my house and my energy has long left this world. Super Bowl is this Sunday. I think Alan would be for the Saints and the Cooper for the Colts. I wanted to Cowboys to win, because I still have a goal of being one of their Cheerleaders(since I was like 5). Ok, some dreams cannot come through--only because I do not have a high enough kick. I think Josh and Billy would be for the Cowboys, but given the fact that is not going to happen this year, I think Billy would like the Saints---but since they are known for their bourbon, will go for the Colts. Josh, just happy he is watching with Reva!!

Game Day Seared Spaulding Steak Sandwiches

2 teaspoons NESCAFÉ TASTER'S CHOICE 100% Pure Instant Coffee Granules
1/2 teaspoon paprika or chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pound (about 3/4-inch-thick) boneless sirloin steak, trimmed of fat
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon canola oil
4 hoagie rolls
Grilled onions (optional)
Sliced Gruyère cheese (optional)
Combine coffee granules, paprika, pepper and garlic powder in small bowl; stir until well blended. Sprinkle evenly over both sides of beef; let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Combine water, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar in small bowl; set aside.
Heat large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Add beef; cook for 4 minutes. Turn over; reduce heat to medium-low and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until desired doneness. Place beef on cutting board (save skillet with drippings); cover with foil. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Place skillet with drippings over medium-high heat; add soy sauce mixture. Bring to a boil; boil, scraping bottom and side of skillet occasionally, for 2 minutes or until reduced to about 1/4 cup. Thinly slice beef diagonally. Divide beef between hoagies; drizzle with sauce. Top with grilled onions and cheese.
Makes 4 servings.

Return to “Guiding Light”