Important issue is screwed up re: sexual harassment

GHers! Register and post about everything that goes on in Port Charles.
fightcrab

Re: Important issue is screwed up re: sexual harassment

Postby fightcrab » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:29 pm

centrd wrote:
monicalewis wrote:
DaffyMaiden wrote:Ava just ruined it. Bensch will win now. (Will it be time for "who killed Bensch?")

Kiki is not the only one accusing Bensch. I don't get why all the attention is on her once this other woman came forward.

Because Kiki filed the civil suit. Would have been good to name Francesca as a co-plaintiff.

It shouldn't matter if Kiki slept with Griffin since it was consensual and I sure as hell hope Alexis beats this point home. Of course, in real cases, this kind of garbage gets played out all the time and women lose their cases because of it. But the burden of proof here is really on Kiki.

I've NEVER understood why she didn't produce that hotel key as evidence! It all happened when she went to the board. It could have been easily documented that he was in the room so why would she have a key unless he gave it to her? Makes me mad when the writers willingly ignore something so obvious.

As I said above it should matter even if it's consensual sex, as he is a doctor and she will shadow him. He is in the position of authority, giving evaluations etc. That's a big NO. But in soap land it might not matter.

centrd

Postby centrd » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:46 pm

fightcrab wrote:
centrd wrote:
monicalewis wrote:Kiki is not the only one accusing Bensch. I don't get why all the attention is on her once this other woman came forward.

Because Kiki filed the civil suit. Would have been good to name Francesca as a co-plaintiff.

It shouldn't matter if Kiki slept with Griffin since it was consensual and I sure as hell hope Alexis beats this point home. Of course, in real cases, this kind of garbage gets played out all the time and women lose their cases because of it. But the burden of proof here is really on Kiki.

I've NEVER understood why she didn't produce that hotel key as evidence! It all happened when she went to the board. It could have been easily documented that he was in the room so why would she have a key unless he gave it to her? Makes me mad when the writers willingly ignore something so obvious.

As I said above it should matter even if it's consensual sex, as he is a doctor and she will shadow him. He is in the position of authority, giving evaluations etc. That's a big NO. But in soap land it might not matter.

You said it but it's not true. She's a student and an adult and can have a consensual relationship with a doctor unless it's specifically forbidden, which it wasn't. Griffin was not her direct supervisor and he is her mother's boyfriend so any favoritism that might have been construed would have already been a consideration because of his relationship with her mother, long before their sexual relationship happened.

crazyaunt

Postby crazyaunt » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:25 pm

To me this story is a lot like The Alzheimer's story with Mike. It went from a story centered around Mike and Sonny dealing with an awful unforgiving disease to being all about Sonny and wanting to know where Mike moved Charlie's body and heaven forbid should he mention it to someone not on Sonny's payroll :roll: . If the writers bring a story in about Alzheimer's or sexual harassment in the workplace, they should focus on those issues. These other side stories should be just that, side stories, because they have nothing to do with what's playing out in the REAL story. The whole Griffin and Kiki one night stand coming out in court for a "sexual harassment in the workplace" case was just another total bad call by the writers to insert something that has nothing to do with the story being told. I get it that they don't want the show to be too serious, and if that's the case, then don't bring in serious issues such as Sexual Harassment in the Workplace or Alzheimer's and then try to down play the seriousness of those issues by inserting foolishness. Write them as they should be written or come up with something that's so way out there you can make the story up as you go and no one would be the wiser. Sorry for the venting, but the seriousness of the issues, especially the Alzheimer's, is something I find hard to watch when they go off course, just for a little while, so that the focus is on precious Sonny and HIS past deeds, rather than Mike and his battle with the disease of Alzheimer's. jmho

Finicky fan

Postby Finicky fan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:53 pm

I may be the only one that feels this way but I don't agree. It is an important fact that whom you have sex with is your choice, whether male or female/workplace or not. I had been thinking about this since the harassment suite came up. Isn't sexual harassment when you refuse sexual advances and the other party makes advances/threats against your will? Men can also be victims of sexual harassment. To me Oscar was being sexually harassed by Joss- she wanted sex - he didn't so she shut him out, emotional blackmail.

crazyaunt

Postby crazyaunt » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:59 pm

I just wanted to apologize for totally going way off topic on the issue of this thread in my previous post. I shouldn't have brought up my problem with the way they did the Alzheimer's story in this thread, because I just did something that I was writing about that bothered me, and that was that I took the focus off the topic at hand..... Sexual Harassment in the Workplace.

centrd

Postby centrd » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:56 pm

crazyaunt wrote:I just wanted to apologize for totally going way off topic on the issue of this thread in my previous post. I shouldn't have brought up my problem with the way they did the Alzheimer's story in this thread, because I just did something that I was writing about that bothered me, and that was that I took the focus off the topic at hand..... Sexual Harassment in the Workplace.

I don't think you went off topic at all. I think you made a relevant point.

I do know that in real harassment cases, women's sex lives get brought up in an attempt to trash their credibility & reputations, but the way they did this, suddenly making the story about Ava, is annoying and ridiculous. Completely detracts from the real story. Alexis did a good job of stating the facts (well, unless you noticed how she was completely leading the witness with Griffin) but it's often not enough in the courtroom. Somehow, men are given a pass, and aren't questioned about their former sexual "conquests", but women usually are disparaged for theirs, even though the topic isn't relevant legally. Not unless it's directly relating to the case.

So I agree. In fact, I think they did a disservice to both storylines by interjecting unrelated and unnecessary drama into them. It's disappointing.

LuvsJason2

Postby LuvsJason2 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:21 pm

Steveno6 wrote:
MarieDet wrote:If you're going to do something, do it right. TIIC have failed and made the story a joke.

Yes, and whatever Kiki did with Griffin should have non legal relevance on the case.

It dont matter if it has legal relevance on the case or not... the lawyers are going to bring up every little dirty thing to shoot down kiki you know your self in a court of law Lawyers are dog eat dog.. they will make her look like a town wench.... before they finish and not even care if she cry's buckets of tears... they will look at her like oh one Dr is good enough for you but not the other one ..... they would tear her apart ...

fightcrab

Postby fightcrab » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:39 am

centrd wrote:
fightcrab wrote:
centrd wrote:

You said it but it's not true. She's a student and an adult and can have a consensual relationship with a doctor unless it's specifically forbidden, which it wasn't. Griffin was not her direct supervisor and he is her mother's boyfriend so any favoritism that might have been construed would have already been a consideration because of his relationship with her mother, long before their sexual relationship happened.

He was not her direct supervisor, but might be in the future. Shadow program includes shadowing many doctors.

centrd

Postby centrd » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:00 am

fightcrab wrote:
centrd wrote:
fightcrab wrote:

He was not her direct supervisor, but might be in the future. Shadow program includes shadowing many doctors.

C'mon. If we based things on what COULD happen in the future, then we'd never be able to do anything. The law does not work in fantasy futures. He was NOT her supervisor. He had no influence over her medical studies and a relationship with him would not help her with her grades. The hilarious thing is, this isn't even how medical school works.

fightcrab

Postby fightcrab » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:11 pm

centrd wrote:
fightcrab wrote:
centrd wrote:

C'mon. If we based things on what COULD happen in the future, then we'd never be able to do anything. The law does not work in fantasy futures. He was NOT her supervisor. He had no influence over her medical studies and a relationship with him would not help her with her grades. The hilarious thing is, this isn't even how medical school works.

Ok. Agree. So happy that Kiki won.

Return to “General Hospital”