Black Women Portrayed on GH

GHers! Register and post about everything that goes on in Port Charles.
luluspencer

Re: Black Women Portrayed on GH

Postby luluspencer » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:57 am

Who is to say, how a black woman acts, we all have are own personality's, woman in general when push in some situations, have certain attiudes, have you ever been in a department store, and they think you don't have enough money to buy, what your looking at, it's all sterotypes, how we act, how we dress, in general men portray woman, by their views and this is what's happening on GH, and no one ever confront's them on this, Lainey is a very beautiful and eduacte woman, don't would you think she would have at least one man on the show, attract to her, while Eppy, is strong out spoken, head nurse, and because she is a big girl, they have not made a match for her hello big woman have boyfriends too, it's all how the writer's see these woman, who are men,the writer's for year's have made all the woman look like helpless woman, they tend to forget, that great woman help run this country, Connie Rice, a black woman that's Bush right hand.

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:29 pm

Quote zaria:
Quote dimples2010:
Quote shelrick:
Quote dimples2010:
Quote shelrick: Man, I wish we could go back to the days when the Wards were around. Now why can't they write like that anymore?

Who are the Wards?

It was a long time ago so my history might be bad but Edward had an affair with Mary Mea Ward (a black woman) that produced a child. Edward had a son and grandson from her. They killed of Justus Ward a couple years ago. Another I remember Justus. I was not watching on a reg then.character that didn't need to be killed. Sorry my memory of the history is a little shaky at the moment.

Thanks for the info.

Dimples, Justus and Lainey were starting to be an item before they killed him off the show a couple of years back. And Mary Mae's grand daughter Keisha was Jason Quartermaine's 1st real serious girlfriend way back in the day. If memory serves me correctly, they lost their virginities to each other! And then he had the car accident and brain damage and became a total a$$ to her and everyone remotely involved with the Q's. The Wards were a family that were really close to Luke, Laura and Lucky when Lucky was played by JJ.

I remember Justus, but I was not watching GH on a reg back then.

dachocolateprincess

Postby dachocolateprincess » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:29 pm

This is so true! This isn't only on GH though. It's sad really sad that the "mammie" or "Omarosa" traits portray what "black women" are suppose to be **eyes rolled**

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:32 pm

Quote RainStormRaider:
Quote devoted2sonny: As a black female I think they need to hire more women writers & more minority writers. It's hard to write for people that you know nothing about. I think most of the romance is gone on daytime tv b/c women writers are scarce. And black women are depicted as they are b/c black writers are scarce. Take a look at the head writer for Grey's Anatomy--a black female, the writing is great, the show is great. She writes from all angles.(true talent). I think before some of these people call themselves writers they need to really know something about what they're writing about. JMO

Yes!!! That show is a great example of writing for those of diverse backgrounds!!! What irony that its also an ABC show!!! :D

More talented writers. Much more savvy about things!

RainStormRaider

Postby RainStormRaider » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:39 pm

Quote dachocolateprincess: This is so true! This isn't only on GH though. It's sad really sad that the "mammie" or "Omarosa" traits portray what "black women" are suppose to be **eyes rolled**

Perzactly!!! :D

RainStormRaider

Postby RainStormRaider » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:43 pm

Quote dimples2010: More talented writers. Much more savvy about things!

See........I think its more than just about talented writers.......its all about perspective.......there is very little diversity on GH and no major character is from a minority.......with the melting pot that the United States is........and wanting to get more viewership........it seems like common sense to depict more diversity.......and even though I understand.........its all about hieghtened reality and over-the-top dramas........those can still be engaging without turning people into race caricatures.........cos seriously......those stereo-types are racist in of themselves.........and that's just plain wrong........

fireball

Postby fireball » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:14 pm

Quote RainStormRaider:
Quote dimples2010: More talented writers. Much more savvy about things!

See........I think its more than just about talented writers.......its all about perspective.......there is very little diversity on GH and no major character is from a minority.......with the melting pot that the United States is........and wanting to get more viewership........it seems like common sense to depict more diversity.......and even though I understand.........its all about hieghtened reality and over-the-top dramas........those can still be engaging without turning people into race caricatures.........cos seriously......those stereo-types are racist in of themselves.........and that's just plain wrong........

I agree Rain, it can be done, one of the most popular shows on television was the Cosby show. Look at this message board it is very diverse, we represent various countries, cultures, and race, yet we enjoy sharing what we are passionate about be it Liason, JaSam, Elizabeth, LuSam, family, world issues, whatever it is we all have an opinion, some things we know about some we don't, but we learn from each other. TPTB should learn from that and add diversity that is true, because there are positive and negative in the human race period. Just let it be represented in a balance way be it gender or race. 3)

RainStormRaider

Postby RainStormRaider » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:39 pm

Quote fireball:
I agree Rain, it can be done, one of the most popular shows on television was the Cosby show. Look at this message board it is very diverse, we represent various countries, cultures, and race, yet we enjoy sharing what we are passionate about be it Liason, JaSam, Elizabeth, LuSam, family, world issues, whatever it is we all have an opinion, some things we know about some we don't, but we learn from each other. TPTB should learn from that and add diversity that is true, because there are positive and negative in the human race period. Just let it be represented in a balance way be it gender or race. 3)

WOW!!! So eloquently put!!! Brava!!! :D

ldy_cass

Postby ldy_cass » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:02 pm

Wow, I love this thread. I have had huge issues w/ the way women are handled on GH and scarce minorities issue. I think it all comes down to lazy writing. Look at the way they have written Leyla.... the only new idea they could come up w/ for a chracter has to do w/ poor imigrants because she is a minority. If the writers were good enough they good create a character that would be colorless like so many of you have mentioned. I think the way Leyla was recceived is a big indicator of what fans want.

The writers have also found it easy to make Lucky a controlling and abusive husband to break up him and Liz. But what about taking the harder and more interesting route of him having dealing w/ being abusive and face it? That would be great writing though and easy to screw up so they shy away. So instead the audience if left w/ the message it's okay to be abusive to women and it's okay for women to just take it. UGH!

I like that Lainey is educated and beautiful but did they have to make her so snotty and condescending? Kelly is one of my fav characters and she gets NOTHING..... just a crazy random scene of being a sex addict thrown in one day w/ a character nobody knows as a boyfriend potential. That was so fusturating for me.

I also hate that they have to pair black people w/ black people. Stan is the only love interest I've seen for Lainey in a long time and it was so random. Didn't fit at all. I felt like they did it just because both characters were black. I guess they toyed w/ Lainey and Cody on NS but I have yet to see much of that on GH.

fireball

Postby fireball » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:22 pm

ldy so true, GH have all of the ingredients to have the No.1 soap of all time. They have the most beautiful and talented actors of all time and I believe a very loyal fanbase. If they just stick to the basics LOVE,consistency, and larger than life situations with some realty we would need more 12 step meetings than we do now, it is about entertainment/escape.ldy you had me smiling from ear to ear when I first read your description of Lainey, I had to laugh at myself when I kept reading. *)

Return to “General Hospital”