Please.... NO MORE!!!

GHers! Register and post about everything that goes on in Port Charles.
ransomha

Re: Please.... NO MORE!!!

Postby ransomha » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:27 pm

Quote maja: Thank you buffsta! I can't stand watching Patrick & Sabrina. These two have absolutely no chemistry. I hate the over anunciation of Carrrrlos, reminds me of Tea on OLTL.

Tea' was known for that too! You're right, it's way OVERDONE.......
Don't like Patrick and Sabrina either but, they'll be going their separate ways soon enough.

lvmyabcsoaps

Postby lvmyabcsoaps » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:21 pm

Quote ransomha:
Quote maja: Thank you buffsta! I can't stand watching Patrick & Sabrina. These two have absolutely no chemistry. I hate the over anunciation of Carrrrlos, reminds me of Tea on OLTL.

Tea' was known for that too! You're right, it's way OVERDONE.......
Don't like Patrick and Sabrina either but, they'll be going their separate ways soon enough.

I agree with the overdone and Sabrina adds some passion with that Carrrrrrrrrrlos. Haha. Thank goodness Robin is coming back and not soon enough. Hopefully this reunion doesn't drag out for more than a few weeks.

taramartin

Postby taramartin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:40 pm

If you moved to a country (or in Sabrina's case within her country)where they did not speak English, people would probably pronounce your name their way but your spouse and/or family would continue to pronounce your name the way they had all your life. It would be unusual if they did not.

genhospchat

Postby genhospchat » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:10 am

Quote ReignOfTerror:
Quote Mrs. Lansing:
Quote lvmyabcsoaps: The fact that it is the only time she throws on an accent is with his name, but then again I thought that I made my point when I referred to Gloria from Modern Family. My mother has an accent and it's with everything that she says not just a name. So should everyone speak like that when saying a certain name from another country?

When it is how the name is supposed to be pronounced the answer is yes. Many people who are of ethnic backgrounds use the correct pronunciation for names and...well nouns! Others pepper their speech with a word or two from the language they grew up speaking or heard spoken in their family homes. This is actually very common of many people of many different ethnicities.

Thanks for explaining it AGAIN Mrs Lansing! You have more patience than me..I'm done with it.

It's funny now how it keeps being posted though.... ~)

Some know the truth but continue with it because they just want to complain about certain characters. No sense beating your head off the wall anyway, so to speak.

alikat

Postby alikat » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:00 am

Quote JaneDoe:
Quote ReignOfTerror:
Quote buffsta: I absolutely CANNOT stand Sabrina! The total lack of chemistry between her and Patrick, her fake accent that only comes out when she says "Carlos", just HER as a character in general... Please stop...
I cannot WAIT for Robin to come back and stake her claim.
Bye bye Santiago! (This will be the BEST day ever!)

Fake accent at pronouncing "Carlos" the EXACT WAY it's supposed to be pronounced? Yeah ok.

I just posted this in another thread, but I don't understand why she uses a Puerto Rican accent on just the name Carlos either. Myself growing up in the US would pronounce the name Car (as in my auto)- los with a long O sound. Everything else she says sounds like she's lived in the US for years or all of her life, yet when she says Carlos... it sounds like she's lived in Puerto Rico all of her life. It does sound a little odd IMO.... like she only says that ONE name with an accent. :~ Maybe that's just the way it is and I have no personal experience as I know no one from Puerto Rico. 3)

No, I have a co-worker who is from Puerto Rico. He's lived here in the Southeast for at minimum 25 years because that's how long he's been with the company (and he's only probably 45-50). His accent is still very very heavy. We have to have him repeat himself sometimes as well as most languages translating to English cause the sentence structure to be funny. He'll say things like "Put to the floor this pallet"

Also, like I said in that other thread, Carrrrrrrlos came on and his first say 5 scenes his accent was fairly thick and now he doesn't have the accent either except on rare occasions.

alikat

Postby alikat » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:07 am

Quote taramartin: If you moved to a country (or in Sabrina's case within her country)where they did not speak English, people would probably pronounce your name their way but your spouse and/or family would continue to pronounce your name the way they had all your life. It would be unusual if they did not.

Also, some find it an insult if you try to emulate their accent. They feel you're mocking them.

ransomha

Postby ransomha » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:17 am

If Patrick or Emma or anyone really was visiting Puerto Rico wouldn't people there say their names with an accent? Why only say 2 names with an accent, why not everyone's?

taramartin

Postby taramartin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:44 am

That's what I am saying - the people in PR would pronounce Emma's and Patrick's names with their accent but even if Patrick and Emma learned to speak Spanish, they would most likely still pronounce their own names with their regular accents.

ransomha

Postby ransomha » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Quote taramartin: That's what I am saying - the people in PR would pronounce Emma's and Patrick's names with their accent but even if Patrick and Emma learned to speak Spanish, they would most likely still pronounce their own names with their regular accents.

So then Sabrina should be pronouncing everyones name with her "regular accent". And if she's trying to better her english then should Patrick be trying to say her name the way it should be pronounced? The way Carlos says it?

Sabrina has an accent that she suppresses when saying the names of her PC friends. If she's trying to use Patrick's speech pattern then he should use hers.

akita

Postby akita » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:14 pm

Quote Bizlet:
Quote BringBackStarr: Speaking of Carlos and Sabrina-----WHY are they even in the country? Sabrina said she came to the U.S. on a STUDENT visa...Guess what dearie? Schools over... 8) >)

Puerto Rico is a US territory. The residents are consider US citizens but have their own democratic government. They don't vote in US elections for President. She does not have to go anywhere.

Not only does she NOT have to go anywhere but who gives a crap about how she pronounces anything?

She is saying and pronouncing perfectly. There is NOT such thing as Puerto Rican way. Love or hate all you want but let's leave certain references out.

Return to “General Hospital”