Vintage Lante - All things Dante & Lulu

GHers! Register and post about everything that goes on in Port Charles.
daisysam

Re: Vintage Lante - All things Dante & Lulu

Postby daisysam » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:28 pm

JMB's birthday is next week...Nov 3rd. Send her a card at the studio if you get a chance. Let em know we miss her!!!

Ms. Julie Marie Berman
c/o General Hospital
ABC-TV
4151 Prospect Avenue
Hollywood, CA 90027

Smooches!

daisysam

Postby daisysam » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:33 pm

Evening Vintage Lexers,

Posting to remind everybody:

Don't forget to vote!

www.welovesoaps.net/search/label/Soap%20of%20the%20Week

tvsourcemagazine.com/2013/10/pulse-poll-october-28-2013-edition/

Let's show them who the real Lulu is!!!

Hope everyone remembered Julie's b-day!! (Nov. 3)

Night!

mrsmcmoose

Postby mrsmcmoose » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:23 pm

Good Evening Vintage Lante Fans...

So much has been written, posted, discussed about Emme Rylan's portrayal of Lulu these past 7 months.

The actress has / had been given such a gift in this role. Inheriting a "Lulu" so skillfully, beautifully portrayed by Julie Berman for eight years. Julie loved the character of Lulu and played each facet of her life with such expertise. Making us feel her POV - whether we agreed or not. Julie was able to capture the heart of Laura in her character. Forgiving while able to maintain a calm sense. And also able to play Luke's daughter, portraying an edge that, well, made her a "Spencer". It was an unique combination Julie brought to Lulu. One that sustained the character for 8 years and garnered 3 Emmy Awards.

And it was those life experiences and character of Lulu that Dante Falconeri fell in love with. Dante's "hot blonde" - stubborn, strong willed. Loyal to family and friends - almost to a fault. Julie was able to sell some of Lulu's more "irrational" moments with such conviction and passion. We could feel her anguish, pain and determination.

Much has been written of ER's portrayal of Lulu during this custody storyline. And the frustration expressed by much of the viewing audience that they are not feeling any of Lulu's anguish or pain with her portrayal. And comments also made that Julie couldn't do much better. I disagree.

I recall the infamous "Bordello" storyline two years ago. Where Lulu seemed to almost have gone off the deep end, on a frustrating search for Luke. Putting herself and eventually Dante in danger. Lulu was very well criticized for that portrayal. However, while the writing was an obstacle, it was Julie's portrayal that was able to sell the storyline and make us feel her determination. Her scenes even garnered mention a scene of the week in SOD.

ER's "Lulu" is getting very similar type of writing. But despite the writing, many are simply unable to feel ER's anguish or pain. She is just coming across so "brittle" and "cold".

It was this type of writing and story that Julie and Dom mastered so well to keep us engaged in the Lante story. Two very different POV's...but each actor was able to play off each other in such a way we remained invested. I am just not feeling any of that. ER's Lulu and DZ's Dante just seem many miles apart.

daisysam

Postby daisysam » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:05 am

Good morning Vintage Lexers!

First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY JULIE!!! May your 30's be as good to you as your 20's. Miss you so!!

Beautiful day today, cold but sunny. Leaving soon to go play!!

Lastly, opinions of those who play both sides of the middle (definition: hypocrites) are never taken seriously. Shame on those that play that game. :(

Later ladies!

Caitie

WRITING ... DIRECTING ... ACTING

Postby Caitie » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:22 am

WRITING … DIRECTING … ACTING:

I’ve been reading various comments and interpretations of the roles of each of these in creating the final product which reaches the screen. And I think it’s a given that each of these three is important in this creative process. We know that a bad story and weak dialogue can damage a story and even characters – and it can make acting and directing jobs harder. We also know that directors add their own interpretations to the final product.

BUT, we can never forget the importance of the actor in giving life to the work of the writer and director. The actor becomes the face and voice of the words and stage directions and, thereby, is key in creating the needed emotional reaction and involvement from the audience.

If acting did not contribute to the final product, why are actors sometimes replaced in roles?

If acting were not important, why would casting directors sometimes take months to find the right person to deliver the words which have been written?

Bad acting can seriously weaken a good script – and good acting can sometimes transcend the writing – and give us something beyond the written word. And sometimes the best acted scenes are the wordless ones – those where the actor’s skill in delivering emotions IS the story.

Those of you who know me know that I prefer to use specific examples in discussions. In this case, I’m going to defer to examples from quotes made by soap magazine editors who make the points more succinctly than I can. Now, because Julie and Dom have long been favorites, the quotes I have immediately available are about their performances. However, now that this topic is top-of-mind, I’ll definitely be looking for other examples. (BTW, these quotes come from articles praising ACTING ability).

“THE WORDS WERE HARSH, BUT infused with Lulu's fear, worry and utter heartbreak, they proved to be a masterful showcase for Berman's ability to inhabit Lulu's vulnerability even when she's acting tough.”

“Crouched on the floor, her finger bleeding, Berman was never so vulnerable as when she stared at Luke. Her look of shock clearly conveyed she no longer recognized the man who stood before her. IT WAS A COMPELLING MOMENT, COMPOUNDED BY BERMAN’S UTTER SILENCE. Unable to move to first, a rattled Lulu eventually ran out.”

“Scenes that Geary and Berman share as Luke and Lulu are never anything less than overwhelming. IT’S NOT WHAT THEY SAY BUT RATHER HOW THEY SAY IT. THE WRITTEN WORDS DON’T JUST RATTLE AROUND IN THEIR HEADS BEFORE BEING PROJECTED FROM THEIR MOUTHS. INSTEAD, THEY BURROW DEEP DOWN INTO THEIR GUTS, WHERE THEIR VISCERAL MEANING IS BORN, all in the speed of light, and, miraculously, with the same interpretation. Just looking into each other’s eyes and breathing the same air seems to connect them with an invisible lifeline that feels so real and tangible that it’s difficult to digest that it’s all just make believe.”

And this one praising Dom does not speak specifically to the written word, but it does emphasize the importance of the actor in creating emotional details.

“Thanks to ZAMPROGNA’S STRONGHOLD ON THE EMOTIONAL DETAILS that make Dante Dante, he has created a true hero – and not just because his character wears a badge.”

Caitie

Postby Caitie » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:02 am

Adding to above post with some very current material, I’ll speak about two examples where Dom’s acting made the scenes. Both were wordless scenes but ones which carried considerable emotion.

The first was Dom standing over Connie’s crib after Dante’s heart-breaking conversation with Olivia after the christening chaos. Yes, the writers could write a moment stating that Dante stands over the baby’s crib and looks devastated. And the director could tell him to fight with tears. BUT – huge BUT – without Dom’s ability to bring the writing and directing to life and to create the “feeling” of heartbreak, the emotional impact wanted by the writer and director would be lost or at least significantly lessened.

The second was in the same episode – at the end when Lulu firmly stated she would not give up the baby. Quoting what a friend said about this scene, “he gave her a look of such confusion and pain, as though he suddenly didn’t recognize her, couldn’t understand her.” Again the writers can write and directors can direct, but it’s the actors who deliver the scene and make us feel the emotion.

As an follow-up to these scenes, what I’m hearing about the possibilities of this custody battle causing issues between Dante and Lulu, these scenes (especially the latter) could prove to be more than emotional points. They could also be important for plot development, emphasizing even more the need for quality acting to create the story.

mrsmcmoose

Postby mrsmcmoose » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:50 pm

The other night I viewed Dante and Lulu's classic "Opera" Date - 12/29/2009. A beautiful moment that embodied the spirit of Lante. But it was Dante's words to Lulu "that the music transcends language" which hit a chord with me.

Much has been written about ER's acting and portrayal of Lulu and her inability to resonate with a majority of the viewing audience. And more recently comments made that it wouldn't matter who was playing Lulu - ER or Julie - because it was simply the writing that was or has been making Lulu unsympathetic.

"the music transcends language"

Julie's delivery as Lulu was very much "music to our years". She approaches her craft with such a talent, that she is able to take a written word and delivery something remarkable, memorable.

Any actor can read words from a script. However it is the special actor that can take the words and separate themselves by making the audience live, breath, feel the story. Regardless of stance or POV. And Julie had such a gift.

Caitie

Postby Caitie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:20 am

Good morning. This article is about GH in general - the good and the not so good. The author discusses some points which are important to me - isolation of characters, plot-point writing and adjusting history to suit those plots. The current Lulu/Maxie story is used as an example.

soaptownusa.com/?p=4593#more-4593

mrsmcmoose

Postby mrsmcmoose » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:13 pm

Dusting off the Vintage Lante Thread. LOL.

Looks like the Court Custody Case heats up this week. :|

I miss JuDo. I miss JMB and I miss DZ. %(

Caitie

Postby Caitie » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:21 am

Good morning!! This pic taken by Kirsten at a dinner party among friends last Saturday reminded me once again of that SOC article from a few weeks ago - about some stories just work better with the actors who created the roles.

instagram.com/p/ghvuUvTJAR/

Return to “General Hospital”