The rant & rave thread. All welcome.

GHers! Register and post about everything that goes on in Port Charles.
Bizlet

Re: The rant & rave thread. All welcome.

Postby Bizlet » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:46 am

Quote Mrs. Lansing: I have pretty much stayed away from this thread because I fear my raves come off tepid, and my rants come off well I suppose a little scary..lol! But here goes.
I have read quite a few posts complaining that the stories take too long to play out as someone who began watching soaps in the 1970's I heartedly disagree. I love when a soap takes a year or more for a story to play out. I love when a story takes twists and turns, and involves more characters, and stories criss cross with each other. I remember about 30 years ago as stories would play out more characters would become involved and the stories would comingle over the course of a year. Then during November or May sweeps there would be a huge gala or party where all the characters would come together and the whole month would be the party where all the stories exploded. It was literally a can not miss an episode month. That to me is soap opera. I really feel towards the 90's MTV ruined it all. Everything became about quicker and faster, even edits became too fast. It used to be a shot in a film or tv show would last about 7 to 10 seconds before a cut. Then MTV brought in the quick cuts a few seconds then boom, then boom. Quick cuts work when a scene has slowly built intensity and then when the climax comes the quicker edits would come. Now someone can be having a casual conversation and it's cut cut cut.
So no I do not want the stories to be over faster. I want them to take their time, develop some characterization, granted even in the old days the characters motivations would change depending on the story, because after all soaps are all plot and the characters do not change so sometimes people do things that would make you say wait...Carly would never do that. But at least you had a real understanding of why the character was doing what they did. I want plots that take some time to play out, characters who I root for or against because I understand them. Or what happened to the bad girl who you hated what she was doing but understood why she was doing it and felt actual empathy for her? This still occurs sometimes, but just not in the same way because it's all about faster faster more more more.
Okay rant over, and I have no idea if I made any sense at all. LOL!

I second your rant. It seems like people were expecting this out of ABC soaps for some reason, but the soaps on CBS I have tried several times since the cancelation to into Y&R and B&B and they IMO the slowest shows on air. I cut B&B a little slack bc it was only 1/2 an hour but Y&R did not have an excuse.
The people I was tuning in to watch were on an it was the same story for months.
I like the pace of GH the stories are not blink and there over, but there is variety. There are different characters on every couple of days I don't feel like 4 characters own the show anymore.

tessicapls

Postby tessicapls » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:06 am

My raves for yesterday:

I loved the Siam kissing scene that was continually interrupted. When Sam finally went inside the gallery, I was on the edge of my seat with anticipation of the reveal.

Sonny. I've never been a huge Sonny lover or hater. I enjoy the character, but he is not the end all be all, or the character I hate. Yesterday, I loved the character. I loved the high drama that is Sonny Corinthos. I particularly loved when he said to Julian, "That's right, you son of a b!tch," with the head bob going! And I loved at the end when Julian said Sonny had men outside waiting to kill him, and Sonny just shook his head. It's almost as if he was thinking, "I can never kill the people I want to kill, they are always tied to the people I care for." Hilarious, I almost felt bad for him! I loved it.

I loved that Julian told Alexis and Sam himself, and didn't let Sonny break the news. I loved that he told Sam he loved her and Danny. I know he's a bad guy, but I can't hate him.

Kiki and Michael: like them, loved the fight between Morgan and Michael. Terribly sad, but I enjoyed the scenes.

Rants: Sonny and Olivia. Just say no.

JaneDoe

Postby JaneDoe » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:17 am

RAVE..... LOVED Frodd and Carly. I'm really feeling a name change for him coming on soon. I know I'm in the minority, but I REALLY like these two together. 8)

I really liked Silas and Sam too. They were cute. :)

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the reveal of Julian. I LOVED how he took the power away from Sonny by revealing himself instead of allowing Sonny the pleasure. I LOVE how much he obviously cares for Sam and Danny. I really hope she understands why he kept his identity from her..... he didn't want her involved, yet he still took every chance he could get as Derek Wells to be close to them. I LOVED how he revealed to her that his time was short and that Sonny had a man waiting to kill him outside. I LOVE how he remains a step ahead and smarter than Sonny at every turn. I LOVE this man. *)

RANT: Morgan/Michael/Kiki. Just shut up.... all of you. >(

lovelyliz

Postby lovelyliz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:40 pm

Rave: Liz was on. Love her hair. Glad GH is giving Brick a break love that they were not on. :) More Liz please and in a story. She is good enough to carry a story all by herself w/o a man & someone propping her. ;) Love her scenes today.

Rant: GH was good to let Alexis call Liz to the stand and Diane did not ask Liz any questions. I really thought she would be bad on Liz and I know the haters was hoping that I'm just glad it did not happen. I'm a happy Liz fan. ;)
That is my rant sort of. :~

cardgirl

Postby cardgirl » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:57 am

Ok this time I will rave first. Hmmm raves? Well I happy that I did not have to see the teeny boppers today or Club Pathetic aka Sabrina, Felix, Brad.... Frodd - Carly is still funny. Loved Silas's running commentary at the opening when Julian revealed who he was. I love him with Sam they are cute and not as intense as Jasam. And I love me some Julian...and Julian in his Jockey's even better. Would love to have seen a triangle with him Alexis and Carly. Glad I did not have to see Sonny in scivie's he is not so hot anymore except for the dimples. I so think Alexis should be with Julian....which brings me to my rants.

Alexis...Did you fall on your head and forget that YOU ARE A MOB LAWYER????? You couldn't be with Sean because of what he did, you don't want any involvement with Julian for yourself or Sam...but still you can work for Sonny and that is all right. HYPOCRIT! And well Sam is an adult and way to old for you to dictate who she allows into her life.

And as much as I love Julian and think you are sorely in need of a man, I fear your inability to have a stable and happy relationship with ANY man will get the best of you when it comes to Julian. Remember, you like them bad.

Does it only bother me that everyone AND I DO MEAN everyone around Lante acts like Connie IS their baby? Olivia, Luke,...who by the way was so cute with the baby today. Even Sonny showed up to support them. But Maxie only get's Felicia. Where was Sam? she is pretty good friends with Spixie. Where was Mac? Even Patrick could have shown up for her. So sad that she does not really have anybody in her corner.

And since when can Ellie take blood without a doctor's order. Last time I checked nobody could just walk into a hospital and demand a blood test...and really Brad or Ellie are the last people I would let near me considering how dishonest they can be. I know I know everybody in Port Chuck is dishonest.

I was so disgusted by the love in the afternoon. Froddly was kind of cute..still don't buy that Carly would EVER be with a man who hurt her family like he did. It is NOT in her nature to be that forgiving. I also think making RH Todd Franco is just Franco in Todd's body and mind.

Olivia and Sonny REALLY??? Woman get up get dressed and go home run far far far away from Sonny he ruins every woman he touches. He is not as hot as he used to be in love scenes..mostly same sh(t different day.

Lulu shut up sit down you have done or are about to do something very very very low. Yeah Yeah Maxie was wrong she knows it she admits it she is truly sorry but accusing her of killing Robin...again REALLY??? As apposed to you who actually did kill somebody it was self defense and Robin's death was an accident. Shame on you! You have done a lot of bad things to and they were intentional and just as vile as Maxie but is anybody calling you a bad mother? Personally I don't think either of you should have her. Give her to Spinelli alone and only if Ellie falls under a bus :D ...He can parent by himself and he would have Sam around.

I also found it totally disturbing that TJ and Molly talk so casually about what their parent's guardian's do. Sean is a hitman hardly honorable for an ex vet. And Alexis is a mob lawyer such shining role model's NOT!!! I just think it's weird that Molly mostly see's nothing wrong with what she does. She does know Sonny is in the mob. And TJ know Sean works for Sonny. Something is wrong with them.

JaneDoe

Postby JaneDoe » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:38 am

Quote cardgirl: Ok this time I will rave first. Hmmm raves? Well I happy that I did not have to see the teeny boppers today or Club Pathetic aka Sabrina, Felix, Brad.... Frodd - Carly is still funny. Loved Silas's running commentary at the opening when Julian revealed who he was. I love him with Sam they are cute and not as intense as Jasam. And I love me some Julian...and Julian in his Jockey's even better. Would love to have seen a triangle with him Alexis and Carly. Glad I did not have to see Sonny in scivie's he is not so hot anymore except for the dimples. I so think Alexis should be with Julian....which brings me to my rants.

Alexis...Did you fall on your head and forget that YOU ARE A MOB LAWYER????? You couldn't be with Sean because of what he did, you don't want any involvement with Julian for yourself or Sam...but still you can work for Sonny and that is all right. HYPOCRIT! And well Sam is an adult and way to old for you to dictate who she allows into her life.

And as much as I love Julian and think you are sorely in need of a man, I fear your inability to have a stable and happy relationship with ANY man will get the best of you when it comes to Julian. Remember, you like them bad.

Does it only bother me that everyone AND I DO MEAN everyone around Lante acts like Connie IS their baby? Olivia, Luke,...who by the way was so cute with the baby today. Even Sonny showed up to support them. But Maxie only get's Felicia. Where was Sam? she is pretty good friends with Spixie. Where was Mac? Even Patrick could have shown up for her. So sad that she does not really have anybody in her corner.

And since when can Ellie take blood without a doctor's order. Last time I checked nobody could just walk into a hospital and demand a blood test...and really Brad or Ellie are the last people I would let near me considering how dishonest they can be. I know I know everybody in Port Chuck is dishonest.

I was so disgusted by the love in the afternoon. Froddly was kind of cute..still don't buy that Carly would EVER be with a man who hurt her family like he did. It is NOT in her nature to be that forgiving. I also think making RH Todd Franco is just Franco in Todd's body and mind.

Olivia and Sonny REALLY??? Woman get up get dressed and go home run far far far away from Sonny he ruins every woman he touches. He is not as hot as he used to be in love scenes..mostly same sh(t different day.

Lulu shut up sit down you have done or are about to do something very very very low. Yeah Yeah Maxie was wrong she knows it she admits it she is truly sorry but accusing her of killing Robin...again REALLY??? As apposed to you who actually did kill somebody it was self defense and Robin's death was an accident. Shame on you! You have done a lot of bad things to and they were intentional and just as vile as Maxie but is anybody calling you a bad mother? Personally I don't think either of you should have her. Give her to Spinelli alone and only if Ellie falls under a bus :D ...He can parent by himself and he would have Sam around.

I also found it totally disturbing that TJ and Molly talk so casually about what their parent's guardian's do. Sean is a hitman hardly honorable for an ex vet. And Alexis is a mob lawyer such shining role model's NOT!!! I just think it's weird that Molly mostly see's nothing wrong with what she does. She does know Sonny is in the mob. And TJ know Sean works for Sonny. Something is wrong with them.

I will just co-sign this.... saves me a LOT of time. Thanks cardgirl!

My only exception is that I LOVED Froddly. I just don't care about the past. Their chemistry has erased it all for me. I LOVE how vulnerable he is with her. So sweet. *)

I was also reminded this week just how much a HATED Shrieking Starr.... Shrieking Kiki was even worse! >(

ghfanfare

Postby ghfanfare » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:47 am

Rant: Was it necessary to weave the love scene of Sonny and Olivia into the love scene with Frankie and Carly?! Frankie and Carly are hot, hot, hot. Sonny and Olivia are not, not, not.

Rave: Good scenes with Michael and Morgan. Well, until Kiki started shrieking. Ack!

JaneDoe

Postby JaneDoe » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:54 pm

Quote ghfanfare: Rant: Was it necessary to weave the love scene of Sonny and Olivia into the love scene with Frankie and Carly?! Frankie and Carly are hot, hot, hot. Sonny and Olivia are not, not, not.

Rave: Good scenes with Michael and Morgan. Well, until Kiki started shrieking. Ack!

Totally agree!

Nightmoves

Postby Nightmoves » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:02 pm

Rave: Julian, Julian and Alexis, Julian in his shorts, Julian getting over on Sonny. Oh did I mention Julian lol ;)

Rant: Olivia...I just can't... This woman is out of her freaking mind (not to mention she had her boob hanging out of her dress)

This woman kept her son away from Sonny his entire life because he was too dangerous. She NEVER even told Sonny he had a son. She then proceeded to warn Connie away from Sonny because he was too dangerous. SONNY SHOT HER SON IN THE CHEST!! How in the world??? Please let her be the next one to get a bullet or thrown off the pier.

JaneDoe

Postby JaneDoe » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Quote Nightmoves: Rave: Julian, Julian and Alexis, Julian in his shorts, Julian getting over on Sonny. Oh did I mention Julian lol ;)

Rant: Olivia...I just can't... This woman is out of her freaking mind (not to mention she had her boob hanging out of her dress)

This woman kept her son away from Sonny his entire life because he was too dangerous. She NEVER even told Sonny he had a son. She then proceeded to warn Connie away from Sonny because he was too dangerous. SONNY SHOT HER SON IN THE CHEST!! How in the world??? Please let her be the next one to get a bullet or thrown off the pier.

Yes please! >)

I was mighty impressed that TPTB switched Sonny's usual bar ware for some crystal dish instead. 8) What a way to break away from the norm. ;) :-)

Return to “General Hospital”