GH Fan only - no character bashing please

GHers! Register and post about everything that goes on in Port Charles.
Vanrainmom

Re: GH Fan only - no character bashing please

Postby Vanrainmom » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Quote asiangal: I just want to share a blog post excerpt that describes the current s/l so perfectly. It's called "Sins of a Father" and the excerpt is from angelique's blog post.
--------------------------------------------------

Long lost sons have been done on GH before…as far as Sonny goes, so have long lost daughters, as he didn’t know about Kristina for a while either. It’s another hazard of his lifestyle – the women whose eggs you fertilize don’t want to share the baby news with you, because though you may be sinfully delicious, you are also sinfully dangerous, and you pose a threat to any offspring simply by being. But although this storyline is not new to the world of soaps, or even to GH (most recently with Ethan) the Dante reveal was spellbinding! I was actually tense during those scenes when Dante was letting Sonny have it! And when Sonny shot him, my heart stopped even though I’d seen the preview like most of you had! What an intense storyline! And Sonny, he’s taken “sins of the father” to a whole new level.

A really good storyline not only provides the viewers with action and suspense, but also leaves long felt repercussions after the BIG MOMENT. This is exactly what this storyline does. The showdown came and went, but what happens in the wake of that big moment will be just as important, and exciting, as the moment itself!

Getting back to Sonny and Dante, it was quite a shock for Sonny to find out about Dante being his son AFTER he shot him, but the biggest shock of all will come for poor Dante! Imagine finding out that the person who inspired you to become a cop, the criminal who inspired you to go after organized crime, the mobster who has served as the very bain of your existence is none other than the co-creator of your DNA! Poor Dante! As tough and unsettling as it was for Sonny to hear the news, it’s going to be earth-shattering for Dante to receive the news! I imagine it would taint the clear vision Dante had for what his life would look like; for what his future would be. Finding out about a dad is one thing, finding out your dad is the very person you live to take down is quite another story. Dante’s life will never be the same.

Sins of the father are also extended to stepfathers, I’m afraid. Jax has just dug the hole deeper and deeper for himself! Not only did Jax work behind the scenes to help take Sonny down and in effect, take him out of Michael’s and Morgan’s, and even Carly’s lives, he pretended to be working to stop anyone else from taking him down. Every time Jax lied to Michael’s face, I cringed, much like Lady Jane did when Jax told her what he was really up to. As his mother, Lady Jane knows that Jax is about to lose everything because of his lies. Their seemingly perfect little world is about to come crashing down around them before baby Josslyn’s gift checks have even been deposited. It’s not as though Jax didn’t know the price he’d pay upfront.

The sins of the father have taken their toll on the Spencer offspring, but it’s hard to watch on Lucky most of all. Why? Because most of his adult life, Lucky has been Laura’s son. Kind, loving, hopeful, forgiving. Yet this latest betrayal from Liz and Nik seems to have reached deep into his soul and pulled out the “Luke” in him. Now he’s more Luke’s boy than Laura’s son. Cynical, hard, tragic, self-destructive. It’s sad. When I saw Lucky drinking and not even caring, it broke my heart. Those are the behaviors Luke has modeled for his children, and while Luke says he enjoys having them all under one roof and “safe”, they weren’t always safe from his bad choices. Now Luke will have to face how those choices will play out for his brood.

Lulu has also been affected by her father’s lifestyle choices. She felt a loyalty to Sonny and Jason that kept her from revealing Dante’s real identity, and though I’m almost sure that her telling Sonny or Jason would only have meant that Dante would have been disposed of sooner, I am also almost sure that Lulu will question her decisions now that she’s seen how it all went down for Dante. Her reactions to what happened will bring with them a whole new set of issues for her dad and Sonny, and both fathers will come face to face with their sins in a whole new light.
---------------------------------------

This was really thoughtfully written! I am glad you posted it. I wonder if there will be any fall out for Lulu, if and when Sonny and Jason and Carly find out she knew all along what Dante was doing.

asiangal

Postby asiangal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:02 pm

Quote Vanrainmom:
Quote asiangal: I just want to share a blog post excerpt that describes the current s/l so perfectly. It's called "Sins of a Father" and the excerpt is from angelique's blog post.

Long lost sons have been done on GH before…as far as Sonny goes, so have long lost daughters, as he didn’t know about Kristina for a while either. It’s another hazard of his lifestyle – the women whose eggs you fertilize don’t want to share the baby news with you, because though you may be sinfully delicious, you are also sinfully dangerous, and you pose a threat to any offspring simply by being. But although this storyline is not new to the world of soaps, or even to GH (most recently with Ethan) the Dante reveal was spellbinding! I was actually tense during those scenes when Dante was letting Sonny have it! And when Sonny shot him, my heart stopped even though I’d seen the preview like most of you had! What an intense storyline! And Sonny, he’s taken “sins of the father” to a whole new level.

A really good storyline not only provides the viewers with action and suspense, but also leaves long felt repercussions after the BIG MOMENT. This is exactly what this storyline does. The showdown came and went, but what happens in the wake of that big moment will be just as important, and exciting, as the moment itself!

Getting back to Sonny and Dante, it was quite a shock for Sonny to find out about Dante being his son AFTER he shot him, but the biggest shock of all will come for poor Dante! Imagine finding out that the person who inspired you to become a cop, the criminal who inspired you to go after organized crime, the mobster who has served as the very bain of your existence is none other than the co-creator of your DNA! Poor Dante! As tough and unsettling as it was for Sonny to hear the news, it’s going to be earth-shattering for Dante to receive the news! I imagine it would taint the clear vision Dante had for what his life would look like; for what his future would be. Finding out about a dad is one thing, finding out your dad is the very person you live to take down is quite another story. Dante’s life will never be the same.

Sins of the father are also extended to stepfathers, I’m afraid. Jax has just dug the hole deeper and deeper for himself! Not only did Jax work behind the scenes to help take Sonny down and in effect, take him out of Michael’s and Morgan’s, and even Carly’s lives, he pretended to be working to stop anyone else from taking him down. Every time Jax lied to Michael’s face, I cringed, much like Lady Jane did when Jax told her what he was really up to. As his mother, Lady Jane knows that Jax is about to lose everything because of his lies. Their seemingly perfect little world is about to come crashing down around them before baby Josslyn’s gift checks have even been deposited. It’s not as though Jax didn’t know the price he’d pay upfront.

The sins of the father have taken their toll on the Spencer offspring, but it’s hard to watch on Lucky most of all. Why? Because most of his adult life, Lucky has been Laura’s son. Kind, loving, hopeful, forgiving. Yet this latest betrayal from Liz and Nik seems to have reached deep into his soul and pulled out the “Luke” in him. Now he’s more Luke’s boy than Laura’s son. Cynical, hard, tragic, self-destructive. It’s sad. When I saw Lucky drinking and not even caring, it broke my heart. Those are the behaviors Luke has modeled for his children, and while Luke says he enjoys having them all under one roof and “safe”, they weren’t always safe from his bad choices. Now Luke will have to face how those choices will play out for his brood.

Lulu has also been affected by her father’s lifestyle choices. She felt a loyalty to Sonny and Jason that kept her from revealing Dante’s real identity, and though I’m almost sure that her telling Sonny or Jason would only have meant that Dante would have been disposed of sooner, I am also almost sure that Lulu will question her decisions now that she’s seen how it all went down for Dante. Her reactions to what happened will bring with them a whole new set of issues for her dad and Sonny, and both fathers will come face to face with their sins in a whole new light.

This was really thoughtfully written! I am glad you posted it. I wonder if there will be any fall out for Lulu, if and when Sonny and Jason and Carly find out she knew all along what Dante was doing.

I love how GH is writing s/l that will impact a lot of characters...and this Dante reveal is going to impact a lot of lives. I can't wait to see it all unfold. I want the angst of son against father.. because after all the easy breeze of having his children loving Sonny unconditionally and adoring him, now we get to see Kristina's disdain for her father and his lifestyle, and now we have Dante who is on the opposite side of the fence, and Michael... Micheal might just turn against his father because he might be jealous that he's no longer Sonny's eldest son..and will take a backseat to Sonny's affections when Sonny turns all his attention to gaining Dante's love .. wow... lots of s/l there! and the fallout for Jax... gosh! GH is getting to be really exciting and soapy! and Lulu, yeah, this is going to impact her as well. Her loyalty to Sonny and Jason will be questioned as now she is in love with Dante, and I have no doubt that she will stand by her man (yipee!). But this will impact her relationship with Sonny and Jason and even Spinelli who is loyal to Jason. So we have characters drawing the line to where their loyalty stands. I am salivating right now! lol!

theresao

Postby theresao » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:19 pm

Very enjoyable read asiangal. Thx.

theresao

Postby theresao » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:23 pm

Has anyone else noticed that while Sonny is a criminal who has people killed for a living, when someone he loves is in the hospital he always end up in the Chapel praying. I keep getting a picture in my mind of God scratching his head going WTF, you shot someone this morning NOW you want my help! :~

JaneDoe

Postby JaneDoe » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:52 pm

Quote theresao: Has anyone else noticed that while Sonny is a criminal who has people killed for a living, when someone he loves is in the hospital he always end up in the Chapel praying. I keep getting a picture in my mind of God scratching his head going WTF, you shot someone this morning NOW you want my help! :~

I agree, although I did really enjoy his speech yesterday. Is this his punishment?

theresao

Postby theresao » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:01 pm

Quote JaneDoe:
Quote theresao: Has anyone else noticed that while Sonny is a criminal who has people killed for a living, when someone he loves is in the hospital he always end up in the Chapel praying. I keep getting a picture in my mind of God scratching his head going WTF, you shot someone this morning NOW you want my help! :~

I agree, although I did really enjoy his speech yesterday. Is this his punishment?

I did as well. Of course that's what made wonder how God would respond. ;) If nothing else, it been an eye opening experience for him. As I posted earlier, I think we're going to see Sonny do a lot of soul searching in the near future.

theresao

Postby theresao » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:07 pm

Sonny - I realize the general consensus is that Sonny should pay for shooting Dante, that that is how it would be in real life. But I have always felt that the character of Sonny Corinthos is based loosely on John Gotti, the mob boss who was known as both the "Dapper Don" because he was a flashy dresser who always wore custom designer suits(sound familiar) and the "Teflon Don" because it took over 30 years to actually convict him of a crime. He kept getting off on technicalities and hung juries. So I don't have a hard time accepting that Sonny isn't going to pay with jail time, but I do feel he going to pay with guilt.

Dante - First I was impressed that Dante stared down the barrel of gun and did not flinch and that even though he knew he might die he told Sonny exactly why he came after him.

As far as him lying about how he was shot, I agree with a poster who said he's not doing it to protect Sonny but because he doesn't want his being shot to be the reason Sonny goes down but that he goes down based on the case Dante spent months building.

But I also think part of it is because Dante knows he screwed up. His gut told him his cover had been blown but he still faced off a mob boss without a gun, a vest, or backup. There's a saying "If you grab a tiger by the tail, you better have a plan for it's teeth." Dante didn't plan for the teeth and got bit. Does that make what Sonny did right, of course not, but I would have had a harder time accepting Sonny just rolling over and letting Dante arrest him.

Olivia - I was expecting a little more yelling, crying and beating Sonny up for shooting Dante, but I understand the Olivia is racked with guilt because her keeping Dante's paternity a secret was the catalyst to all the events that happened. She should have told Dante who is father was as soon as she found out what his assignment was. IMO she didn't have to ever tell Sonny.

I also don't think she lied to the police. As she didn't see the shooting she could not testify to that. Walking in and seeing Sonny holding a gun does not mean he shot it, he could have just picked it up, so technically, whatever she may assume happened, she can't testify to. And anything Sonny may have said would be hearsay.

Michael/Kristina/Morgan/Molly - All I can say is that the young actors brought their A game this week.

Kristina's righteous indignation about what her father did was so in keeping with her feelings for her father. She wants to hate him because she doesn't think he loves her.

Morgan's comment that Sonny is a criminal and Dante is a the good guy is proof that he hasn't been as tainted by Sonny like Michael has because he grew up after Sonny and Carly split up. The scene with him and Dante was heartbreaking. I can't wait to see this relationship grow.

Michael will always side with his father because he grew up idolizing him. So good, bad, or indifferent, Michael will see things the way Sonny does. It's going to be interesting to see how he reacts to the fact that Dante is his father's son and that right now all of Sonny's time will be spent trying to build a relationship with Dante.

I don't blame Michael for going off on Jax. When you're a child you supposed to be able to trust the adults in your life. This kid is going through so much he didn't need to be flat out lied to by someone he trusted.

Molly - I know of lot of posters think she's obnoxious but I love her. She may end up being the voice of reason for her sister and cousins because it's not her father and brother that everything is happening to.

Robin/Patrick - I was torn on this because to me if you can keep a minor secret so early in a marriage, will it be easier to justify bigger ones as time goes on. But on the flip side, given Robin's history of outing paternity, Patrick could have cut out the middle man and gone right to Sonny.

Carly/Jax - I think Carly has every right to be angry with Jax for lying to her. As she said to Olivia, she only tells the truth as a last resort, so lying is second nature to Carly. But after her and Jax agreed to no longer lie to each other, Carly, suprising, has been honest with Jax. So much so, that she told him exactly what happened the night Claudia died. Jax, however, has kept two huge secrets all in the name of protecting his family. He did not trust Carly with what he knew and without trust they don't have much of a marriage.

And Jax knew what he was doing was wrong as he kepting saying that it was probably going to cost him his family but he did it anyway.

asiangal

Postby asiangal » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:55 pm

TS your post is so insightful as always and it was such a pleasure reading it. I agree with everything you said :) Little "Morgan" stole the scene away from Dante at the hospital. That little boy actor is very talented.

magrat

Postby magrat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:39 pm

The posters in this thread are a joy to read. Insights abound. Thanks you all.

asiangal

Postby asiangal » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:16 pm

bringing this up to pg 1 for katie to post her awesome rhyme!! :) :D :)

Return to “General Hospital”