Newbie here w/ some ?...I dont get it...

GHers! Register and post about everything that goes on in Port Charles.
GabsforGH

Newbie here w/ some ?...I dont get it...

Postby GabsforGH » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:03 pm

So I am new to posting but have read this board for a couple of months. I am really starting to get into GH. I started watching about 4 years ago but now it is getting really dang good...and i figured i might start posting instead of just reading!

anyway i am not clear on some rules or posting guidelines...

I see some threads clearly marked for certain fan bases but I see posters posting going in those threads that arent part of that fan base...is that against the rules or just "frowned" upon?

Like if i like johnny and maxie and went in the johnny and lulu thread to defend my choice and stick up for my girl, or if i went in the spixie thread to insert my opinion on why i dont care for them as a couple is that against the rules? or are we allowed to go and post wherever we want?

Thanks and hope to post with you all soon!

heartliason

Re: Newbie here w/ some ?...I dont get it...

Postby heartliason » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:42 pm

Quote GabsforGH: So I am new to posting but have read this board for a couple of months. I am really starting to get into GH. I started watching about 4 years ago but now it is getting really dang good...and i figured i might start posting instead of just reading!

anyway i am not clear on some rules or posting guidelines...

I see some threads clearly marked for certain fan bases but I see posters posting going in those threads that arent part of that fan base...is that against the rules or just "frowned" upon?

Like if i like johnny and maxie and went in the johnny and lulu thread to defend my choice and stick up for my girl, or if i went in the spixie thread to insert my opinion on why i dont care for them as a couple is that against the rules? or are we allowed to go and post wherever we want?

Thanks and hope to post with you all soon!

Hey Welcome, nice to have ya!! I like your avi pic of KS (Maxie), love the character but not as of late..... free Maxie...........sorry I digress.
Anyway, as far as fan threads goes, when others who are not a fan of that coupling come in to state their opinion about the coupling in a neg way or insensitive manner it could come off as baiting, more times than none people that do go in fan threads to argue why that coupling to which the thread is made make no sense is baiting. However, going in to ask questions or discuss the coupling with those in that thread is not baiting, honestly it is a real thin line.
Personally if I am not a fan of the coupling I dont go in the thread made for the coupling I would express my dislike for the coupling in regular non fan threads to save all the drama.

cherrycola

Postby cherrycola » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:00 am

The threads exist primarily to give hard-core fans of a pairing or character a place to talk about their chosen favorite without having to defend or argue their choice.
Fan threads are pupulated by people who feel as strongly about their favorites as you probably do yours.

So while it is not technically against the rules to present a different opinion in a polite and respectful manner, your purpose for entering the thread is likely to be suspect. Socially, it's a little like taking a veal crown roast to a vegan potluck -- you can do it, but don't expact to be liked for it.

RainStormRaider

Postby RainStormRaider » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:18 am

Everyone is welcome to every thread but in fan threads its always a good idea NOT to bad-mouth the character or coupling the thread is for.... ;)

Also for the right analogy, please refer to the last line of Cherrycola's awesome post! :D

Btw, your avie is LOVE... :D

onlygh

Postby onlygh » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:37 am

These fine posters have given you excellent advice gabs. The fan threads are a safe place for posters to gush about their fave character/couple. Many of the posters in the fan threads are not comfortable venturing out onto the main board to debate with the posters-at-large. They just want to hang in their "bubble." If you don't agree with a particular coupling or really think a character is stinky, no worries, you'll have ample opportunity to state your case in non-fan threads which pop up like crazy on the board. Welcome to the board and happy posting.

Return to “General Hospital”