The Original Cast of "As the World Turns"

Show's over but feel free to continue chatting to keep Oakdale alive.
AMC_Fan2008

The Original Cast of "As the World Turns"

Postby AMC_Fan2008 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:54 pm

Here's a list of characters who were part of the original cast of As the World Turns, when it debuted on April 2, 1956:

Chris Hughes
Nancy Hughes
Donald Hughes
Penny Hughes
Bob Hughes
Grandpa Hughes
Edith Hughes
Judge Lowell
Jim Lowell
Claire Lowell
Ellen Lowell

Can anyone tell me how many characters from ATWT's very first year are still on the show today?
:)

Stace7

Re: The Original Cast of

Postby Stace7 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:26 pm

Wow they were all Lowells and Hughes

Well, do you mean the characters or the actors that play them? I am pretty new to the show relatively speaking.

Bob Hughes is still a character on the show but he is not the original actor. But Don Hastings has played Bob since 1960

Nancy Hughes seems to be the only original character still played by the original actor Helen Wagner. But she did have a replacement actor temporarily in the 80's

hurrikun

Postby hurrikun » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:02 pm

Quote AMC_Fan2008: Here's a list of characters who were part of the original cast of As the World Turns, when it debuted on April 2, 1956:

Chris Hughes
Nancy Hughes
Donald Hughes
Penny Hughes
Bob Hughes
Grandpa Hughes
Edith Hughes
Judge Lowell
Jim Lowell
Claire Lowell
Ellen Lowell

Can anyone tell me how many characters from ATWT's very first year are still on the show today?

Well, as far as "characters".........only Nancy and Bob remain. Of course, Chris Hughes currently on the show is named for his grandfather per the list above.

As per actors.........only Helen Wagner (Nancy) is an original cast member and in fact uttered the very first words on As The World Turns. I believe Don Hastings (Bob) and Eileen Fulton (Lisa) joined the cast in 1960 and therefore have been on for 48 of the show's 52 years. Originally, I believe, Bob Hughes was an adolescent and aged in 1960 when Don Hastings assumed the role.

raving

Postby raving » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:41 pm

Quote hurrikun:
Quote AMC_Fan2008: Here's a list of characters who were part of the original cast of As the World Turns, when it debuted on April 2, 1956:

Chris Hughes
Nancy Hughes
Donald Hughes
Penny Hughes
Bob Hughes
Grandpa Hughes
Edith Hughes
Judge Lowell
Jim Lowell
Claire Lowell
Ellen Lowell

Well, as far as "characters".........only Nancy and Bob remain. Of course, Chris Hughes currently on the show is named for his grandfather per the list above.

As per actors.........only Helen Wagner (Nancy) is an original cast member and in fact uttered the very first words on As The World Turns. I believe Don Hastings (Bob) and Eileen Fulton (Lisa) joined the cast in 1960 and therefore have been on for 48 of the show's 52 years. Originally, I believe, Bob Hughes was an adolescent and aged in 1960 when Don Hastings assumed the role.

Hurrikun....do you know what ever happened to the lowell family? Did they write the whole family off??

HOT PINK

Postby HOT PINK » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:26 pm

From what I remember, the Lowell family consisted of Judge Lowell, who was a good friend of Chris and Nancy Hughes, his daughter Claire and her daughter Ellen. Judge Lowell and Claire died many years ago. In the 60's, it was discovered that David Stewart and his late wife had adopted Ellen's illegitimate son Dan. Eventually Ellen and David were married and Dan accepted Ellen as his mother. So, the Lowell family evolved into the Stewart's.

MamaPapa

Postby MamaPapa » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:45 pm

Ellen and Penny are still shown occasionally (holidays etc) and I think Don was on a couple years ago also. It's been the same Aunt Penny since I've watched (mid-60s) but no big storylines anymore.

Return to “As the World Turns”