Why can't Lola be the detective & Ray make food?

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
mollyandwally

Re: Why can't Lola be the detective & Ray make food?

Postby mollyandwally » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:45 pm

YRfan73 wrote:
CarselSoap wrote:So, owning a food truck is demeaning? Good to know, I will be sure to pass that on to the two food truck owners I know personally. Oh and BTW - these two food truck owners I know personally make a pile of money and they OWN their own business. Nothing demeaning about that.[/quote

I agree CarselSoap nothing demeaning about that. I have question... why is this even a topic? subject title is deameaning on its own

Nothing demeaning about the title, you are inferring that. If "Rey make food" is demeaning to you then so should "Lola make food".
There should be a woman at the GC police department... it's time. Men make food too, why is that not represented?

CarselSoap

Postby CarselSoap » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:08 pm

mollyandwally wrote:
CarselSoap wrote:So, owning a food truck is demeaning? Good to know, I will be sure to pass that on to the two food truck owners I know personally. Oh and BTW - these two food truck owners I know personally make a pile of money and they OWN their own business. Nothing demeaning about that.

Then why can't Rey be that? Men own food trucks too. Why can't that be represented? The casting is stereotypical...women making food.
We already have that represented with Sharon and her coffee shop.

If you haven't noticed the GC police force has always been all male. Whereas at GH they have a female Commissioner and police officer. In addition Anna is a top agent with the WSB. The women aren't reduced serving food and drink over there.

So far Lola is not being portrayed as making piles of money. And owning your own business means no benefits, no sick days, no insurance, no 401K etc., so that pile of money doesn't go as far as you might think. If they wanted to do that why not a famous chef?

I heard Josh Griffith is returning, I hope Lola isn't the new Avery. Making her man food to eat before he screws her.

Why don't you ask the writers why they didn't make Rey the food truck owner and Lola the cop? My point is making food/owning a food truck is not demeaning, doesn't matter if a male or female owns it.

mollyandwally

Postby mollyandwally » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:35 pm

CarselSoap wrote:
mollyandwally wrote:
CarselSoap wrote:So, owning a food truck is demeaning? Good to know, I will be sure to pass that on to the two food truck owners I know personally. Oh and BTW - these two food truck owners I know personally make a pile of money and they OWN their own business. Nothing demeaning about that.

Then why can't Rey be that? Men own food trucks too. Why can't that be represented? The casting is stereotypical...women making food.
We already have that represented with Sharon and her coffee shop.

If you haven't noticed the GC police force has always been all male. Whereas at GH they have a female Commissioner and police officer. In addition Anna is a top agent with the WSB. The women aren't reduced serving food and drink over there.

So far Lola is not being portrayed as making piles of money. And owning your own business means no benefits, no sick days, no insurance, no 401K etc., so that pile of money doesn't go as far as you might think. If they wanted to do that why not a famous chef?

I heard Josh Griffith is returning, I hope Lola isn't the new Avery. Making her man food to eat before he screws her.

Why don't you ask the writers why they didn't make Rey the food truck owner and Lola the cop? My point is making food/owning a food truck is not demeaning, doesn't matter if a male or female owns it.

If I could ask the writers I would.

And again, never used the word demeaning. I used STEREOTYPICAL. Very different. But I will go further and add SEXIST and MISOGYNISTIC to my view of how they are casting roles. Just like Mal Young's writing for women.

nytwhatevr

Postby nytwhatevr » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:34 am

mollyandwally wrote:
YRfan73 wrote:
CarselSoap wrote:So, owning a food truck is demeaning? Good to know, I will be sure to pass that on to the two food truck owners I know personally. Oh and BTW - these two food truck owners I know personally make a pile of money and they OWN their own business. Nothing demeaning about that.[/quote

I agree CarselSoap nothing demeaning about that. I have question... why is this even a topic? subject title is deameaning on its own

Nothing demeaning about the title, you are inferring that. If "Rey make food" is demeaning to you then so should "Lola make food".
There should be a woman at the GC police department... it's time. Men make food too, why is that not represented?

They had one---then killed her off.

2kitties

Postby 2kitties » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:20 am

A food truck cannot park right in front of the steps to a huge building where many businesses are held. Move your truck down the street Lola.

YRfan73

Postby YRfan73 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:50 am

mollyandwally wrote:
YRfan73 wrote:

Nothing deaming about either occupations, whether male or female.. don’t make my comment into something that it is not...just an odd question or title on its on

Acadia_ca

Postby Acadia_ca » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:41 pm

Food trucks are quite lucrative these days. It's not like she's just working at a food truck she owns it. Basically she owns and manages a restaurant on Wheels. To me that's a big deal.

Acadia_ca

Postby Acadia_ca » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:43 pm

2kitties wrote:A food truck cannot park right in front of the steps to a huge building where many businesses are held. Move your truck down the street Lola.

Sure they can if there's parking allowed on the street in front of the building the food truck can park there.

We have one Street in our city that has a number of Office Buildings on it and there are a number of food trucks that park on it too in the summer. There's a couple that park right in front of my bank.

MissKitty13

Postby MissKitty13 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:37 pm

I agree that the writers ARE placing women in either subservient positions or at least as having to rely on men to bail them out of tight spots. They are portrayed as more nurturing and stereotypical in many cases....not all, but many.

I didn't think anything of Lola being the sibling who owns and operates her own food truck. She handles it well but she really needs to wear a hair net. I do not see Rey being suited to that having a food truck...not in the slightest. Rey suits being a detective.

However, Arturo could definitely be the one running a food truck and Lola could be the contractor. She is super smart and has a lot of strength and spunk so I think she could have done that and met Kyle through a construction project. Arturo could have had the food truck becausee he doesn't really seem like a contractor to me. :mrgreen:

Return to “The Young and the Restless”