Why can't Lola be the detective & Ray make food?

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
mollyandwally

Why can't Lola be the detective & Ray make food?

Postby mollyandwally » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:05 pm

Typical Mal Young, even with new characters the women are cast in lower level positions than the guys.

From 1975 until Katherine was shown as a powerful woman in Genoa City, but #YR no longer writes for any powerful woman.

-Jill now owns the Company & Mansion, but she's sent offscreen.
-Lily loses her own business.
-Jabot/Billy seems to call the shots at Fenmores.
-Nick, who wasn't doing business for decades is now a big deal CEO, while Vikki, whose been slaving away under Victor is still number 2.
-Devon calls the shots for Mariah

DaffyMaiden

Re: Why can't Lola be the detective & Ray make food?

Postby DaffyMaiden » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:23 pm

In this case I believe it's just birth order. The youngest sibling chose the unconventional, super-trendy occupation while the eldest picked a tried-and-true responsible career.

drewxjacobs

Postby drewxjacobs » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:22 pm

I think it is easier to have Kyle's potential new love interest in a food truck outside Jabot than running into her at the police station.

KarolConn

Postby KarolConn » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:51 am

Hispanic men tend to be old fashioned and prefer traditional male/ female roles.

KateKate

Postby KateKate » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:17 am

mollyandwally wrote:.
Typical Mal Young, even with new characters the women are cast in lower level positions than the guys.

From 1975 until Katherine was shown as a powerful woman in Genoa City, but #YR no longer writes for any powerful woman.

-Jill now owns the Company & Mansion, but she's sent offscreen.
-Lily loses her own business.
-Jabot/Billy seems to call the shots at Fenmores.
-Nick, who wasn't doing business for decades is now a big deal CEO, while Vikki, whose been slaving away under Victor is still number 2.
-Devon calls the shots for Mariah

I've said it before, and I stand by it: MY hates women. Most women's s/ls are demeaning. The women are caricatures and most of them are either shrews or spineless. I also believe his apparent dislike of women is why so many women are leaving and there's an alleged culture of female harassment on the set.

CarselSoap

Postby CarselSoap » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:55 am

So, owning a food truck is demeaning? Good to know, I will be sure to pass that on to the two food truck owners I know personally. Oh and BTW - these two food truck owners I know personally make a pile of money and they OWN their own business. Nothing demeaning about that.

effers

Postby effers » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:59 am

CarselSoap wrote:So, owning a food truck is demeaning? Good to know, I will be sure to pass that on to the two food truck owners I know personally. Oh and BTW - these two food truck owners I know personally make a pile of money and they OWN their own business. Nothing demeaning about that.

Excellent points.

DaffyMaiden

Postby DaffyMaiden » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:47 pm

effers wrote:
CarselSoap wrote:So, owning a food truck is demeaning? Good to know, I will be sure to pass that on to the two food truck owners I know personally. Oh and BTW - these two food truck owners I know personally make a pile of money and they OWN their own business. Nothing demeaning about that.

Excellent points.

I know, right?? Making food is only part of her workday.

mollyandwally

Postby mollyandwally » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:06 pm

Then why can't Rey be that? Men own food trucks too. Why can't that be represented? The casting is stereotypical...women making food.
We already have that represented with Sharon and her coffee shop.

If you haven't noticed the GC police force has always been all male. Whereas at GH they have a female Commissioner and police officer. In addition Anna is a top agent with the WSB. The women aren't reduced serving food and drink over there.

So far Lola is not being portrayed as making piles of money. And owning your own business means no benefits, no sick days, no insurance, no 401K etc., so that pile of money doesn't go as far as you might think. If they wanted to do that why not a famous chef?

I heard Josh Griffith is returning, I hope Lola isn't the new Avery. Making her man food to eat before he screws her.

YRfan73

Postby YRfan73 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:12 pm

[quote="CarselSoap"]So, owning a food truck is demeaning? Good to know, I will be sure to pass that on to the two food truck owners I know personally. Oh and BTW - these two food truck owners I know personally make a pile of money and they OWN their own business. Nothing demeaning about that.[/quote

I agree CarselSoap nothing demeaning about that. I have question... why is this even a topic? subject title is deameaning on its own

Return to “The Young and the Restless”