LANE/HEVON Tragedy This Week - Spoilerish

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
semper-fi

Re: LANE/HEVON Tragedy This Week - Spoilerish

Postby semper-fi » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:22 pm

I just read the script for Wednesday. The car smashes into a semi. Charlie is sitting in the back seat. Lily and Hilliary are arguing. Maybe Charlie and the baby or Hilliary are killed. Have to wait until Thursday to find out.

shalaydra75

Postby shalaydra75 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:24 pm

Rananculus wrote:[Not be splitting hairs too much but I don't really see Lily and Cane as a couple of color and they're definitely not an AA couple. Lily does not portray herself as an AA woman - never has, never will. And that's her choice. To be honest, the only AA couple this show had recently was HEVON and that's why I'm really disturbed to see Hillary leaving. But Cane and Lily are a cornerstone couple so I don't have a problem with them in general, but Young and the Restless does need a genuine, professional black couple that they develop fully and invest in keeping on the show. Since it's not going to be HEVON, they need another one and I really don't want it to be Neil either. Honestly it would be nice to have a new couple that is outside of the Winter's dysfunction.

A person pigmentation does not dictate his/her ethnicity. Their beliefs and actions do. Most AA respect their elders and family. Lily and Cane have always shown respect for Neil and the Winters family. Unfortunately, Lily does not have an older wise black lady in her corner who would probably tell her to distance herself from Devon and Neil until they show her respect. Most AA elders would not allow someone to threaten the family unit of one of its members and then expect that same member of the family to peacefully coexist with the offender, particularly if only a couple weeks passed.

Writers do not allow lily to effectively fight back because they have decided to portray all of the Winters and Cane as submissive. Although board posts have no correlation to ratings, writers take them seriously. Every time Cane, Lily and Charlie defend themselves, a lot of negative posts pour in, and the writers bow down.

In terms of temperament, Lily act like an AA who were reared in a middle-class family that believes in education. Moreover, Y&R has been number 1 for so long because Bill Bell knew how to portray real black people, not those who live in the imagination of their detractors. Yes, he created Dru, the character who had to deal with homelessness and lack of parental concern, but he also penned Olivia who is a primary example of an AA who was reared by loving parents who stressed education. In essence, there is no way that Lily or Olivia would be acting as a stereotypical AA woman.

BrendaMorganQ

Postby BrendaMorganQ » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:38 pm

Lizzytish wrote:I could see it affecting Lily’s relationship with Devon, but what does it have to do with her and Cane

Charlie might also be hurt given he was in the car.

BrendaMorganQ

Postby BrendaMorganQ » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:09 pm

[quote="shalaydra75"][quote="Rananculus"]

Hi. Putting my opinion out there:

I am middle-class and I am offended by the term AA :roll: I am black and proud of it (never been to Africa so I definitely wasn't born there) :lol: . I don't speak ubonics, have never lived in the projects, both my parents worked, we were raised in houses, no cars up on cement blocks or drive bys and several of the families in our neighborhoods were black, married and a work mix of blue collar and professionals like ours. My BFF and I often shake our heads at the stereo-types I mentioned above because we have no concept of that world. We also grew up around mixed couples.

I think we as a nation have to stop labeling ourselves based what others have put out there to determine what is what for ethnic background(s)/behavior. Why - because there are a lot of people out there who think they are one race when in fact there the very race that they hate or have issue with. I just had this conversation (jokingly) with a co-worker. When I pointed out how many slave children were sold that were mixed and so pale the could pass and cited a few recent articles from men and women who discovered that they were not black or white his mouth dropped open. :twisted:

Don't get me wrong, know several who would not date outside of their race if their lives depended on it out of honor and respect for bloodlines and solidarity.

Peace be with you.

Lifetime Viewer

Postby Lifetime Viewer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:16 pm

I think she will be too, and I don't think Devon should ever forgive her. Lily is way too much. Her obsession with him is far more than that of a sister. She's creepy. Her and Neil both. at the same time, I think they've written Devon into a corner and his character will probably be written off soon too. It's a real shame because Devon and Hillary were a much better couple on the show then Lily and Cane for me.[/quote]

I used to absolutely love Lily and Cane. What happened to that couple? I also loved Dru, and I still miss her. I loved Olivia....and Olivia should still be on YR along with her son Nate. I've always loved Neil.

But, why have writers made Lily and Cane so unlikable at times? I used to love this couple.

shalaydra75

Postby shalaydra75 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:10 pm

BrendaMorganQ wrote:[

I am middle-class and I am offended by the term AA :roll: I am black and proud of it (never been to Africa so I definitely wasn't born there) :lol: . I don't speak ubonics, have never lived in the projects, both my parents worked, we were raised in houses, no cars up on cement blocks or drive bys and several of the families in our neighborhoods were black, married and a work mix of blue collar and professionals like ours. My BFF and I often shake our heads at the stereo-types I mentioned above because we have no concept of that world. We also grew up around mixed couples.

I think we as a nation have to stop labeling ourselves based what others have put out there to determine what is what for ethnic background(s)/behavior. Why - because there are a lot of people out there who think they are one race when in fact there the very race that they hate or have issue with. I just had this conversation (jokingly) with a co-worker. When I pointed out how many slave children were sold that were mixed and so pale the could pass and cited a few recent articles from men and women who discovered that they were not black or white his mouth dropped open. :twisted:

Don't get me wrong, know several who would not date outside of their race if their lives depended on it out of honor and respect for bloodlines and solidarity.

Peace be with you.

I also refer to myself as black, but I do not consider AA as not fighting words. For me, AA is anyone with African ancestry and black is anyone who is willing to fight for the rights of people of African ancestry. (I do respect your statement, and if I knew you personally, I definitely would not call you an AA !!)

I grew up in an all-black neighborhood where most men worked 2 jobs, a 9 to 5 and owned businesses. Their wives usually assisted with the businesses and few were teachers. Although most of the people of my parent’s generation had only a HS education, they were determined that their children would be college graduates, and most of us achieved that objective. Every girl (now woman) from my generation from my neighborhood has an earned college degree and a few of us have graduate and professional degrees.

I laughed when you were discussing race and appearance. My first major job was in the Northeast. I was shocked at how many people, who were darker than my light-skinned relatives, were calling themselves white. No one in my family has married interracially; however, I never heard them admonish the practice. Since most black Southern families have members who look white, we know that a person’s heart and goals as well as how he/she treats others are the essences of who the person is.

Lifetime Viewer wrote:I used to absolutely love Lily and Cane. What happened to that couple? I also loved Dru, and I still miss her. I loved Olivia....and Olivia should still be on YR along with her son Nate. I've always loved Neil.

But, why have writers made Lily and Cane so unlikable at times? I used to love this couple.

I am hoping that the writers stop trying to appease those who do not like Lane. Lane has fans who want them to fight back. We are tired Cane apologizing to people who have done worse to him. (As far as I am concerned, only Cane’s apologies to Lily are warranted.

Kklbab12

Postby Kklbab12 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:43 pm

Shauna is useless. With Hilary gone she will have no one. They can send her back where she came from. Its the typical summer teen story. Not sure why this whole thing messes up Lane since they both disliked Hilary anyway.

Lizzytish

Postby Lizzytish » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:10 pm

BrendaMorganQ wrote:
shalaydra75 wrote:
Rananculus wrote:

Peace be with you.

Beautiful BrendaMorgan and I couldn’t agree more. I too grew up with people of all colors and race. We never called them the “blacks” or the “Asians”. They had names and that’s what we used. You sound intelligent enough not to take offense at the ignorance of those who were not as lucky as we.

It always rankles me when a black persons wins an award and they have to add “the first black man or woman ....”. Why can’t they just win and be appreciated. I am sick to death of labels and all the B S that goes with it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Rananculus

Postby Rananculus » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:45 pm

Peace be with you.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Beautiful BrendaMorgan and I couldn’t agree more. I too grew up with people of all colors and race. We never called them the “blacks” or the “Asians”. They had names and that’s what we used. You sound intelligent enough not to take offense at the ignorance of those who were not as lucky as we.

It always rankles me when a black persons wins an award and they have to add “the first black man or woman ....”. Why can’t they just win and be appreciated. I am sick to death of labels and all the B S that goes with it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.[/quote]

I'm African-American but labeling is truly not that serious to me unless it's a derogatory slur. It's all about your preference. That debate reminds me of a story I heard over the weekend on NPR about two Black / African Americans who were fighting over something that was questionably "racist" in New York. Without going into details about the core issue, the saddest part of the story was that the two black people now hate each other because one straightens their hair and the other doesn't so they're debating the Blackness of each other. I honestly don't have the time for that foolishness! In all of the real issues...that's what people have time to quibble over.

Anyway, back to Lily and Cane. The actress who portrays Lily has in the past resisted being portrayed as a Black character on the show. Look it up. Reportedly, that was one of her issues back in the day with Victoria Rowell. With them bringing the teenage kids back into the storyline, she has become a little more ethnic but once you take Hillary out of the mix, she will go back to pretending that she is a mystery chick. Again that's well and good if that's what she wants to do and that's how the soap wants to play her character. It would just be nice to have a relatively healthy, clearly Black-identifying couple on the show. One that's not ashamed of it and doesn't tip toe around it. And one that is young and professional.

Rananculus

Postby Rananculus » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:15 am

shalaydra75 wrote:
Rananculus wrote:[Not be splitting hairs too much but I don't really see Lily and Cane as a couple of color and they're definitely not an AA couple. Lily does not portray herself as an AA woman - never has, never will. And that's her choice. To be honest, the only AA couple this show had recently was HEVON and that's why I'm really disturbed to see Hillary leaving. But Cane and Lily are a cornerstone couple so I don't have a problem with them in general, but Young and the Restless does need a genuine, professional black couple that they develop fully and invest in keeping on the show. Since it's not going to be HEVON, they need another one and I really don't want it to be Neil either. Honestly it would be nice to have a new couple that is outside of the Winter's dysfunction.

A person pigmentation does not dictate his/her ethnicity. Their beliefs and actions do. Most AA respect their elders and family. Lily and Cane have always shown respect for Neil and the Winters family. Unfortunately, Lily does not have an older wise black lady in her corner who would probably tell her to distance herself from Devon and Neil until they show her respect. Most AA elders would not allow someone to threaten the family unit of one of its members and then expect that same member of the family to peacefully coexist with the offender, particularly if only a couple weeks passed.

Writers do not allow lily to effectively fight back because they have decided to portray all of the Winters and Cane as submissive. Although board posts have no correlation to ratings, writers take them seriously. Every time Cane, Lily and Charlie defend themselves, a lot of negative posts pour in, and the writers bow down.

In terms of temperament, Lily act like an AA who were reared in a middle-class family that believes in education. Moreover, Y&R has been number 1 for so long because Bill Bell knew how to portray real black people, not those who live in the imagination of their detractors. Yes, he created Dru, the character who had to deal with homelessness and lack of parental concern, but he also penned Olivia who is a primary example of an AA who was reared by loving parents who stressed education. In essence, there is no way that Lily or Olivia would be acting as a stereotypical AA woman.

I definitely agree that Young and the Restless does a much better job of creating Black characters than Bold and the Beautiful. With only a couple of exceptions, Bold and the Beautiful primarily brings Blacks in as criminals in need of reform. It is so awful. Even though Y/R does a better job, most of their Black characters are still interchangeable window dressing that are short-lived. The men are particularly emasculated, though Devon was starting to pleasantly step up lately. I just don't even like seeing Neil anymore because all I see is a lap dog that nips from one part of a scene to the other when he's around Victor, and that is pathetic. It is very rare though, for newer Black characters to have a substantial storyline. For instance, what's going to become of Nate now? Is he going to become the new jungle fever in town? And in all honesty, Latinos are treated just as poorly if not worse. I cringe every time I see a Latino man on soap operas because they're always treated as nothing more than sex objects. And we won't even talk about poor stereotypical Ravi, the Hindi Tech Guy.

Hillary was extremely rare on Young and the Restless. Frankly, it's a real testament to the actress that they kept her on as long as they did and in such edgy storylines. Because we know that there are many who did not like her character! And yet she was a very well-developed character who you often hated and loved at the same time. Lilly's character has always been too superficial for me. And I don't know if it's simply because of the limited range of the actress or poor writing. But the character is little more than a Victoria's Secret model dressed in skimpy clothing masquerading as an occasional model/paraprofessional. She really is the equivalent of Summer, just older. When you stop and think about it, her only purpose is to meddle in other people's lives but she really doesn't have much going on in her own. I certainly would not go as far as to say she is a typical middle-class African-American woman, I think that's going out on a limb. Given their supposed station in life, if she were truly from a well positioned Black family like the Winters are supposed to be, she would have a college education and she would have had a job like at least Hillary's. One that she competed for on the regular job market. She wouldn't have had time to be sniping with Hillary all the time because she would have been in a job by now comparable to Phyllis's with significant responsibilities. It would have been good if they had sent her character away for a period of time for that type of development. But Kalil has been on the show since she was a young girl and ironically, she's never really matured into a woman on the show. She still behaves like a teenager.

Return to “The Young and the Restless”