What do you think is the biggest mistake the writers have made?

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
Pluto208

Re: What do you think is the biggest mistake the writers have made?

Postby Pluto208 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:10 pm

Lifetime Viewer wrote:I think the biggest mistake that Mal Young has made in his tenure is giving way too much air time to his selected favorites. It is backfiring big time. These scenes go on and on and on and on. Boring. You think...oh great there is __________ again! Can't they give that character a break?

It is a total mistake to write out Lauren and Michael. This is a very interesting legacy character with endless writing possibilities. Michael is an attorney. Lauren has potential stories with her business deals. My gosh, Ashley, Phyllis, Abby, Nikki, and Sharon can share some air time with Lauren. She sure has gotten the short end of the stick. It is not fair.

If Mal really wanted to shake up things, he would do everything in his power to bring back Michael Muhney as Adam. This would be so HUGE to MM's fans. No one at YR seems to care about MM's fans.

Mal needs to quit giving so much air time to his favorites (which is not working) .....and bring back some fan favorites like MM as Adam, Ronan....

I've always thought killing off Colleen was a HUGE mistake. Colleen was a legacy character, and she needed to stay on YR. She was also played by such a pretty actress. I read that Bill Bell said that he would never kill off another child after that.....or that could have been Cassie that he said that. I can't remember. But, killing off Colleen was a huge mistake.....and then, giving her sweet heart to mean Victor was so silly.

MM was fired for sexually assaulting HK. It is also why he has stayed unemployed since his firing. NO Other soap or TV has hired him. I would love to have JB back. They can pair him with Phyllis and reunite BIlly with Victoria.

scrappie

Postby scrappie » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:40 pm

Putting Nick and Sharon back together AGAIN!
Putting Hilary and Devon back together again!
Wasting time with all the Phyllis and Billy sexcapades...yeah we know they have sex... do we have to see it everyday??
Killing JT and NOT killing JT...either the man is dead or he isn't get to the point!!!
Giving Christian to Victor...get REAL..that man is an 80-year old sick criminal (but I still love you Victor!) :D
Bringing that lame Shauna character on.
Bringing that boring Tessa character on.
Not Killing Hilary off yet.
Turning Ashley into an evil itch!
Bringing Kyle back.
Bringing Summer back.
Trying to pass Brittany Hodges off as a REAL Lawyer :lol:
Not letting Paul and Christine go on a second honeymoon in Hawaii and fall into a volcano.
Not giving us more Ravi! :D
Lily and Cane

dimplesrgold

Postby dimplesrgold » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:13 am

THEIR WRITING.....period!

Blue 501

Postby Blue 501 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:51 am

Pluto208 wrote:
Lifetime Viewer wrote:I think the biggest mistake that Mal Young has made in his tenure is giving way too much air time to his selected favorites. It is backfiring big time. These scenes go on and on and on and on. Boring. You think...oh great there is __________ again! Can't they give that character a break?

It is a total mistake to write out Lauren and Michael. This is a very interesting legacy character with endless writing possibilities. Michael is an attorney. Lauren has potential stories with her business deals. My gosh, Ashley, Phyllis, Abby, Nikki, and Sharon can share some air time with Lauren. She sure has gotten the short end of the stick. It is not fair.

If Mal really wanted to shake up things, he would do everything in his power to bring back Michael Muhney as Adam. This would be so HUGE to MM's fans. No one at YR seems to care about MM's fans.

Mal needs to quit giving so much air time to his favorites (which is not working) .....and bring back some fan favorites like MM as Adam, Ronan....

I've always thought killing off Colleen was a HUGE mistake. Colleen was a legacy character, and she needed to stay on YR. She was also played by such a pretty actress. I read that Bill Bell said that he would never kill off another child after that.....or that could have been Cassie that he said that. I can't remember. But, killing off Colleen was a huge mistake.....and then, giving her sweet heart to mean Victor was so silly.

MM was fired for sexually assaulting HK. It is also why he has stayed unemployed since his firing. NO Other soap or TV has hired him. I would love to have JB back. They can pair him with Phyllis and reunite BIlly with Victoria.

I still think that was just a vicious rumor that another cast member started to trash his reputation. HK never confirmed it but that's the trouble with rumors. They are hard to stop once they spread around. The more MM might deny it, the more some people will think "Where there's smoke, there must be flame".If HK had said it MM could have sued her for slander but how do you fight an invisible assassin?

hesaidwhat

Postby hesaidwhat » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:38 am

Epiphany wrote:I was wondering if the message board would like to list what they believe is the biggest writing mistake the Y&R writers have ever made to change the once beloved soap down the wrong path. For me, it is without a doubt, killing off John Abbott, after he got out of prison; after that, the whole dynamics of the soap changed and was like a ship lost at sea.

Hillary's 3rd transition. She went from vindictive seeking revenge... ok cool...to a calculating social climber... juicy! To now being an egotistical yet insecure person who wants fame (i.e. whole GC Buzz storyline/plot-point) = yuck!

Allowing Jill, Michael and Lauren's characters to be "extras" versus being a part of the core cast of stories and plots

Making Nick's only ambition to be a "good" dad.

Not taking the time to develop male characters that Abby could successfully date.

Not curating and cultivating older male characters that could (a) give Victor a run for his money and swagger or (b) be completely interesting and out of the Victor Newman orbit.

Pluto208

Postby Pluto208 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:14 am

Blue 501 wrote:
I still think that was just a vicious rumor that another cast member started to trash his reputation. HK never confirmed it but that's the trouble with rumors. They are hard to stop once they spread around. The more MM might deny it, the more some people will think "Where there's smoke, there must be flame".If HK had said it MM could have sued her for slander but how do you fight an invisible assassin?

HK has stayed silent because all his fans do is attack her. It is relentless what they do to her. Being sexually assulted is traumatizing. It takes years possibly decades for someone to speak out. See #metoo.

If it weren’t true he would have sued TMZ where the report originated for slander/libel. Again if it wasn’t true he would be on GH with all the other ex YR actors.

Finally MM himself admitted he was at fault. His ego got him fired

SadieM

Postby SadieM » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:22 am

Another cast member observed what happened re: MM. It was not his word against hers. Maybe in a few years he will get roles on other shows.

I also keep thinking how CLB got nominated for his role as Michael and he all but disappeared. What's going on with his not being on the show much?

mo195000

Postby mo195000 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:37 am

Unimaginative, outdated storytelling. Comparing soaps to other programs on air today, it is no wonder, at least to me, why viewers are leaving and not returning, and that the younger demographic they wish for is not tuning in. Unimaginative storylines include, but is not limited to - who's the daddy, tampering with dna tests, weak women manipulating and fighting over men, non-stop sex over substance, etc. And I could go on.

mo195000

Postby mo195000 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:41 am

mo195000 wrote:Unimaginative, outdated storytelling. Comparing soaps to other programs on air today, it is no wonder, at least to me, why viewers are leaving and not returning, and that the younger demographic they wish for is not tuning in. Unimaginative storylines include, but is not limited to - who's the daddy, tampering with dna tests, weak women manipulating and fighting over men, non-stop sex over substance, etc. And I could go on.

Oh, and let me add two more that take away enjoyment for me - 1) Sorasing and 2) Recasting women with actresses about 10 years younger than the previous ones. Sure haven't noticed tptb doing this with the male characters.

janetb

Postby janetb » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:49 am

For me it was turning the Y&R into The EB/VN show. He's in almost all the s/l . No actor/character should be so prominent in a soap at the expense of the others who can't have s/l of their own. The Victor must win theme has ruined it for me.

Return to “The Young and the Restless”