Y and R LOW RATINGS

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
Megs9786

Re: Y and R LOW RATINGS

Postby Megs9786 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:15 am

I believe its a combo of a lot of things I am grateful that there is not a fire or explosion everyday but the show is getting a little boring . I think writers of soaps nowadays have a huge disadvantage because of the mutable boards and opinions that could not been seen before. Love Shick love lane ... Nosey Phyllis hevon and Victor always winning can temp me to tune out. :) pleasing everyone all the time is impossible so I will continue to roll with the flow. :D

Acadia_ca

Postby Acadia_ca » Sun May 27, 2018 11:24 am

The low ratings are due to crappy writers. Ridiculous story lines. Storylines that dragged on for months or even years. Rewriting history. Lack of storyline continuity. Unlikable characters. Dumbing down of characters. Characters behaving totally out of their long established character.

Today the show is nothing like the vision Bill Bill had for it. It's not even a shadow of its former self.

Examples of rewriting history:

1. Jack's paternity

2. Faith is one year older than the twins. The twins have been aged to 17 years old. Faith is still only10 years old. Instead of being a year older she's now 7 years younger.

Delonjo

Postby Delonjo » Sun May 27, 2018 11:50 am

let's face it, the writing is abysmal. I've listed my issues in another post. Head writing a soap and exec producing a soap are both Herculean tasks. One person cannot do those jobs successfully. And the current state of affairs is proof beyond doubt

TigerEyes017

Postby TigerEyes017 » Sun May 27, 2018 12:12 pm

Riskybeee wrote:Shick and Victor. Get them off the screen!!!

Wrong, the ratings has been down for months almost a year or more. It's not got anything to do with Shick or Victor and not the fans watching. If you go look you will see the ratings not been good long before Shick. :lol:

fightcrab

Postby fightcrab » Sun May 27, 2018 12:24 pm

Nezy wrote:IMO The biggest factor was Jack's not an abbot storyline. Longterm viewers, the most loyal of watchers don't appreciate any writer messing with history to this degree, especially a new writer. If it were BB doing this I don't think viewers would mind as much b/c well BB was a superb writer and created/knows these characters inside out. No one that I know of is watching this storyline and to me the further things go, the more twist, the more frustrating it gets and not in an interesting entertaining way.

The reason I don't watch is the combination of Jack's storyline and the JT abuse storyline. I was never a fan of JT but I knew and grew up watching that generation of youngsters and I just don't appreciate what I think was a HUGE character re-write. The saving grace were the performances by Thad and Amelia and honestly I think if Mal had kept it more about what these things do to families and allow every character involved, including Reed, to have a chance for this to affect them, it would've been a more interesting storyline. This is just my take on it, but having the women bond over this the way they did was the last straw. If Mal wanted to really create a scenario where this kind of coverup would be plausible and make sense then that would've heightened the thrill, but the coverup is beyond stupid and made the entire situation worse and sucked all of the interest I had out of this storyline.

Dina's Alzheimers storyline, one that I thought was incredibly well written and great to watch has turned into a Who's the daddy saga.

Some of these problems should be easily rectified. Let's Victor be guilty of screwing Jack's paternity test, let's Tracy and Billy still be Abbott's, let's Ashley be real Abbott as her DNA was never tested. Let's make all Abbott children John's.
Let's make jt alive. Problems solved.

Soulsistah

Postby Soulsistah » Sun May 27, 2018 1:04 pm

kayline12 wrote:
TigerEyes017 wrote:
Riskybeee wrote:Shick and Victor. Get them off the screen!!!

Lol. Afraid your not going to get your wish. The show is nothing without Shick, Victor.

Shick are clearly not bringing in the ratings.

Well Shick fans are coming back. It’s the rest of the writing that’s driving other viewers away, and that’s been the case for a long time now. The ratings didn't just suddenly drop; they’ve been falling for many months.

NJenkins

Postby NJenkins » Sun May 27, 2018 2:58 pm

Yes the ratings have been dropping for months. I read A LOT and everywhere on social media and Sharon fans are many many and Shick fans are through the roof. It is what it is no matter what the few non Sharon/Shick fans say. If anything Shick will help not hinder ratings.

Gigikins

Postby Gigikins » Sun May 27, 2018 3:02 pm

janetb wrote:
Gigikins wrote:The inability to form fresh and exciting storylines.

The wash rinse repeat; same chit different day, same lame dialogue.

Victor always winning

........and then last but not least shoving Shick down our throats.

I agree, it's the same thing over and over again. Victor always winning means that Nikki and his kids can never be any different than the pathetic idiots they are. Recycled couples that never last and these ridiculous paternity s/l. I thought MY was supposed to be so great, he's no better than any of the others.

He is defitley no better. I'll be honest the last time I remember the show being half way decent was the MAB days and I know everyone is going to be horrified at that statement and disagree please don't shoot lol.

But at least the show was exciting and different and new. I don't recall being saddled with the same handful of characters on screen doing and saying the same thing day after day. I'll say this.. .that was the last time I truly looked forward to watching.

Lately its just a lamefest. I hate the business storylines with a passion because it's all just a power struggle and I couldn't care less who ran Jabot or Newman or who does it best. Yawn.

Victor playing mind games. Been there. Done that. Hevon back and forth. Waste of time. Philly having impromptu sex. Bored with that. Nick not only forgiving Sharon but getting back together with her? Just. No.

They need to start making some serious changes. I've heard Days of Our Lives is rocking lately, maybe they should take a lesson from them. I'm not sure how they did it or what it's about but it's nice to hear that it IS POSSIBLE.

Nezy

Postby Nezy » Sun May 27, 2018 6:41 pm

fightcrab wrote:
Nezy wrote:IMO The biggest factor was Jack's not an abbot storyline. Longterm viewers, the most loyal of watchers don't appreciate any writer messing with history to this degree, especially a new writer. If it were BB doing this I don't think viewers would mind as much b/c well BB was a superb writer and created/knows these characters inside out. No one that I know of is watching this storyline and to me the further things go, the more twist, the more frustrating it gets and not in an interesting entertaining way.

The reason I don't watch is the combination of Jack's storyline and the JT abuse storyline. I was never a fan of JT but I knew and grew up watching that generation of youngsters and I just don't appreciate what I think was a HUGE character re-write. The saving grace were the performances by Thad and Amelia and honestly I think if Mal had kept it more about what these things do to families and allow every character involved, including Reed, to have a chance for this to affect them, it would've been a more interesting storyline. This is just my take on it, but having the women bond over this the way they did was the last straw. If Mal wanted to really create a scenario where this kind of coverup would be plausible and make sense then that would've heightened the thrill, but the coverup is beyond stupid and made the entire situation worse and sucked all of the interest I had out of this storyline.

Dina's Alzheimers storyline, one that I thought was incredibly well written and great to watch has turned into a Who's the daddy saga.

Some of these problems should be easily rectified. Let's Victor be guilty of screwing Jack's paternity test, let's Tracy and Billy still be Abbott's, let's Ashley be real Abbott as her DNA was never tested. Let's make all Abbott children John's.

I agree, but when Mal insists on digging these characters further into the ground and with each new twist or turn he makes this all pointless instead of interesting. I don't see the point in messing with jack's paternity, I don't see the point in turning Dina's Alzheimer's story into a who's the daddy plot point, I don't see the point of JT (a longterm character) coming back as a wife beater, and I don't see the point in hiding the fact that Victoria's mother defended her daughter against violence. None of these storylines work, they don't make sense, each decision made gets dumber by the day.

Lifetime Viewer

Postby Lifetime Viewer » Sun May 27, 2018 7:11 pm

Nezy wrote:
fightcrab wrote:

I agree, but when Mal insists on digging these characters further into the ground and with each new twist or turn he makes this all pointless instead of interesting. I don't see the point in messing with jack's paternity, I don't see the point in turning Dina's Alzheimer's story into a who's the daddy plot point, I don't see the point of JT (a longterm character) coming back as a wife beater, and I don't see the point in hiding the fact that Victoria's mother defended her daughter against violence. None of these storylines work, they don't make sense, each decision made gets dumber by the day.

I agree strongly with the both of you. What are the point of his stories? His stories do not make any sense. Nikki becoming loose and sleeping with Arturo. The classy Nikki would have never done that in a million years. He has changed characters' personalities and YR history. Fans aren't buying it. Now, to be bringing back Summer Newman, who is not a fan favorite....takes the cake. He has fans literally begging to bring back MM as Adam, and we get this. Ratings will continue to drop. It is all a shame, because ATWT was a great soap...and it was replaced with that silly "The Talk", millionaire women trying to be relevant to the everyday person. Currently, my BB on my DVR is all watched, and YR is 3 episodes behind......because like one fan put it.....it is always a little group of his favorites saying the same things over and over again. It is boring and very predictable.....and no, we do not want earthquakes, explosions, tornadoes, car wrecks...shock writing,....of Pratt and Phelps either. Why can't Mal Young's team just write good story?

Return to “The Young and the Restless”