Y and R LOW RATINGS

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
Gigikins

Re: Y and R LOW RATINGS

Postby Gigikins » Sat May 26, 2018 10:52 pm

The inability to form fresh and exciting storylines.

The wash rinse repeat; same chit different day, same lame dialogue.

Victor always winning

........and then last but not least shoving Shick down our throats.

Dkingz1130

Postby Dkingz1130 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:41 pm

The ratings has a lot to do with the writing. Nobody cares about the current storylines at the moment, they drag on forever and no substance to them. I couldn’t care less about the Jack not an Abbott storyline it was all done for shock value, Shick reunion is a bust because it just feels so forced and the writers ran out of ideas for Nick. Havon is also getting too much airtime they talk about the same thing everyday, I really don’t care and Billy is unbelievable as ceo. I’m on the verge of reading just the recaps, MY isn’t going to have this job very long if the ratings keep slipping.

ShuisandEvian

Postby ShuisandEvian » Sun May 27, 2018 12:17 am

Ratings can drop due to writing and storyline not the characters. If you give a character a good storyline they can shine.

janetb

Postby janetb » Sun May 27, 2018 12:24 am

Gigikins wrote:The inability to form fresh and exciting storylines.

The wash rinse repeat; same chit different day, same lame dialogue.

Victor always winning

........and then last but not least shoving Shick down our throats.

I agree, it's the same thing over and over again. Victor always winning means that Nikki and his kids can never be any different than the pathetic idiots they are. Recycled couples that never last and these ridiculous paternity s/l. I thought MY was supposed to be so great, he's no better than any of the others.

Likeyfan

Postby Likeyfan » Sun May 27, 2018 7:36 am

Not only one couple or one character is responsible for bad or good ratings, the whole show is it. The problem is the actual headwriter writes for some characters, his favorites, not the whole show. We see e
Day after day, week after week the same characters and the same stories. And the writing is so bad, the HW changes the story of the show to suit his agenda. It's pathetic.

ANorris

Postby ANorris » Sun May 27, 2018 7:56 am

Likeyfan wrote:Not only one couple or one character is responsible for bad or good ratings, the whole show is it. The problem is the actual headwriter writes for some characters, his favorites, not the whole show. We see e
Day after day, week after week the same characters and the same stories. And the writing is so bad, the HW changes the story of the show to suit his agenda. It's pathetic.

Yes I agree... I am sick of seeing the same characters over and over when we have such great characters that have been sidelined! The JT abuse story started out strong but dwindled into stupid when the police were not called, the Dina story started out strong but has also dwindled into the absurd with Jack maybe not being an Abbott!! Bringing back Summer and Brittany is unnecessary when we have Michael and Leslie as lawyers and We already have too many females we need more guys... Victor winning all the time is one of the worst issues for the show IMO

Soapsme

Postby Soapsme » Sun May 27, 2018 8:10 am

ANorris wrote:
Likeyfan wrote:Not only one couple or one character is responsible for bad or good ratings, the whole show is it. The problem is the actual headwriter writes for some characters, his favorites, not the whole show. We see e

Yes I agree... I am sick of seeing the same characters over and over when we have such great characters that have been sidelined! The JT abuse story started out strong but dwindled into stupid when the police were not called, the Dina story started out strong but has also dwindled into the absurd with Jack maybe not being an Abbott!! Bringing back Summer and Brittany is unnecessary when we have Michael and Leslie as lawyers and We already have too many females we need more guys... Victor winning all the time is one of the worst issues for the show IMO

I too agree, sick of the Hillary & Devon merry go round, hate the attempt to rewrite history and make Jack not an Abbot and yes Victor always winning has become a snooze fest. The writing has become predictable and what is boring me.

Kev5000

Postby Kev5000 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:14 am

Nezy wrote:IMO The biggest factor was Jack's not an abbot storyline. Longterm viewers, the most loyal of watchers don't appreciate any writer messing with history to this degree, especially a new writer. If it were BB doing this I don't think viewers would mind as much b/c well BB was a superb writer and created/knows these characters inside out. No one that I know of is watching this storyline and to me the further things go, the more twist, the more frustrating it gets and not in an interesting entertaining way.

The reason I don't watch is the combination of Jack's storyline and the JT abuse storyline. I was never a fan of JT but I knew and grew up watching that generation of youngsters and I just don't appreciate what I think was a HUGE character re-write. The saving grace were the performances by Thad and Amelia and honestly I think if Mal had kept it more about what these things do to families and allow every character involved, including Reed, to have a chance for this to affect them, it would've been a more interesting storyline. This is just my take on it, but having the women bond over this the way they did was the last straw. If Mal wanted to really create a scenario where this kind of coverup would be plausible and make sense then that would've heightened the thrill, but the coverup is beyond stupid and made the entire situation worse and sucked all of the interest I had out of this storyline.

Dina's Alzheimers storyline, one that I thought was incredibly well written and great to watch has turned into a Who's the daddy saga.

I absolutely agree with everything you state. As a 30+ year viewer, I have zero interest in the current srorylines. The Jack not being an Abbott storyline actually annoys me and I can't watch it. The JT coverup storyline is just plain stupid and I feel like watching it is a waste of my time. And so much focus on Devon and Hilary bores me to death. And a Nikki/Arturo/Abby triangle is rediculous beyond words. Where are Michael and Lauren? I can't stand Cane but I am actually missing Lillt and Cane right now. At least they are more interesting than dumb Devon and Hilary.
I skipped three episodes last week and didn't really care.

Lifetime Viewer

Postby Lifetime Viewer » Sun May 27, 2018 10:18 am

It seems to me that Mal Young has his favorites, and he only writes for his favorites. Problem is that this strategy is not working. I'm presently 3 YR episodes behind, and honestly I don't have the urge to watch these episodes. I'm totally current on my BB episodes......

Why bring back Summer? We don't get any Michael Baldwin or Lauren....whom I miss so much. I don't have any interest in seeing Summer.

Why bring back Courtney as an attorney when we have Michael Baldwin?

YR has some major issues right now..........The writing has been ridiculous....I always was a huge Nikki Newman fan....but, I can't hardly stand her anymore. The writing for her has been totally farfetched and silly.

I totally agree with all of the bloggers. Same characters on day in and day out with boring conversations....same old, same old.....Viewers know that they can miss seeing YR for 2 weeks and miss absolutely nothing. Major disappointment.

Valentine14

Postby Valentine14 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:01 am

Friday’s Show was a perfect example of how boring this show is. Prom? Who the heck cares. And to hear Hillary’s I wasn’t prom queen story gag :roll: Jack not being an Abbott is just ridiculous and the CEO storylines have been done to death. Nick is a sad sack loser now I don’t even want Sharon with him at all. Just dull

Return to “The Young and the Restless”