Hey Nikki/writers

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
lindaj18

Hey Nikki/writers

Postby lindaj18 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:06 pm

"Cook" wants to know what you want for dinner? He/She doesn't even get a "THE Cook"? U guys know it's 2018 right? That term harkens back to slavery days when people in jobs of service were not given an identity. It's pretty insulting, no matter what nationality "cook" is. Irish, Latinos, Germans, Blacks & other immigrants performed those kinds of jobs, honorable work indeed, when they came or were brought to the U.S. Yes, you & Victor are people of wealth, but I would think you're not inhuman. Give cook a name. Even the Abbotts, though we've never seen her, has Mrs. Martinez. Join us in the new century, why don't you?

bridel

Re: Hey Nikki/writers

Postby bridel » Tue May 22, 2018 1:26 pm

lindaj18 wrote:"Cook" wants to know what you want for dinner? He/She doesn't even get a "THE Cook"? U guys know it's 2018 right? That term harkens back to slavery days when people in jobs of service were not given an identity. It's pretty insulting, no matter what nationality "cook" is. Irish, Latinos, Germans, Blacks & other immigrants performed those kinds of jobs, honorable work indeed, when they came or were brought to the U.S. Yes, you & Victor are people of wealth, but I would think you're not inhuman. Give cook a name. Even the Abbotts, though we've never seen her, has Mrs. Martinez. Join us in the new century, why don't you?

i caught that too. reminded me of what a stuck up snob witch that nikki is. i totally agree with you about the cook not being called a christian name. the writers need to own this one

NJ SOAP LADY

Postby NJ SOAP LADY » Tue May 22, 2018 1:57 pm

bridel wrote:
lindaj18 wrote:"Cook" wants to know what you want for dinner? He/She doesn't even get a "THE Cook"? U guys know it's 2018 right? That term harkens back to slavery days when people in jobs of service were not given an identity. It's pretty insulting, no matter what nationality "cook" is. Irish, Latinos, Germans, Blacks & other immigrants performed those kinds of jobs, honorable work indeed, when they came or were brought to the U.S. Yes, you & Victor are people of wealth, but I would think you're not inhuman. Give cook a name. Even the Abbotts, though we've never seen her, has Mrs. Martinez. Join us in the new century, why don't you?

i caught that too. reminded me of what a stuck up snob witch that nikki is. i totally agree with you about the cook not being called a christian name. the writers need to own this one

I always thought saying Cook was degrading. ....I also figured they probably have so many that quit it's hard to remember their names.

taramartin

Postby taramartin » Tue May 22, 2018 2:39 pm

The Quartermains, a rich family on GH calls their home chef "Cook 2" (there had been a "Cook" previously).
I am pretty sure the wealthy Buchanan family on OLTL also called their personal chef "Cook".
As far as I can tell, this is a custom. I couldn't find anything online saying it isn't PC.

HonnyDiipp

Postby HonnyDiipp » Tue May 22, 2018 3:29 pm

This actually threw me as well. “Cook” it was the way she said it. This show has always adored their staff, especially their housekeepers. For years Miguel was an important face at the Newman house. Plus the Abbott’s had Mammie (which had its own racial undertones). I thought I was the one person who thought that was odd.

nytwhatevr

Postby nytwhatevr » Wed May 23, 2018 2:51 am

HonnyDiipp wrote:This actually threw me as well. “Cook” it was the way she said it. This show has always adored their staff, especially their housekeepers. For years Miguel was an important face at the Newman house. Plus the Abbott’s had Mammie (which had its own racial undertones). I thought I was the one person who thought that was odd.

I thought that was wrong also. But the woman at the Abbott's was Mamie, not Mammie. I am not saying this just to correct you--just that you said it had its own racial undertones, which Mammy would, but I don't think Mamie would.

drewxjacobs

Postby drewxjacobs » Wed May 23, 2018 10:27 am

bridel wrote:

I, too, caught that & said something to my husband (he watches with me in the evenings). Nikki has always referred to their cook as "Cook" and I find it so disrespectful. Would she refer to their maid, assuming they had one as "Maid"? And yes, even the Abbotts referred to their housekeepers by their names. Nikki is the epitome of snob. Really hate the way she tilts her head back and literally looks down her nose when talking to people she considers beneath her.

Blue 501

Postby Blue 501 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:30 am

Miguel is long gone (unfortunately). Y&R probably does not want to hire someone to play the cook so they are keeping it as generic as possible.

Blue 501

Postby Blue 501 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:33 am

HonnyDiipp wrote:This actually threw me as well. “Cook” it was the way she said it. This show has always adored their staff, especially their housekeepers. For years Miguel was an important face at the Newman house. Plus the Abbott’s had Mammie (which had its own racial undertones). I thought I was the one person who thought that was odd.

Her name was Mamie and she was all the mother those Abbott children had, as well as being the housekeeper, after Dina took off & left them. Didn't John Abbott fall in love with her at some point but she turned him down?

HonnyDiipp

Postby HonnyDiipp » Wed May 23, 2018 5:49 pm

Blue 501 wrote:

Her name was Mamie and she was all the mother those Abbott children had, as well as being the housekeeper, after Dina took off & left them. Didn't John Abbott fall in love with her at some point but she turned him down?

John did fall for her. But it was quickly pushed aside, and so was she soon after. Olivia and Dru were her nieces, right? The Abbott children adored her.

Return to “The Young and the Restless”