What would make Y&R great again?

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
male yr fan

Re: What would make Y&R great again?

Postby male yr fan » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:03 am

Quote Embrace: For MM to surprise us with a return as Adam! I would be ecstatic! I don't think anyone misses him as much as I do!
I know MM really appreciate his fans but, I honestly believe that even if he returns the story writers will dessimate his character. I like all the actors because they try hard to do their jobs. They need a new production team period!

male yr fan

Postby male yr fan » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:05 am

Quote Embrace:
Quote movinon:
Quote lynj: I think they have lost their vision, because I remember in times past yes this was a soap, but it was seen as good quality for the genre, progressive, with good actors.

Now it seems difficult to tell the difference between Y&R and the other soaps. If anything it's lagging behind other daytime shows in any 'awareness' storylines. They used to lead the way in this area - not anymore.

It doesn't help the the cast appear to have factions and be divided against each other - that spells disaster for any production.

Maybe it's because the Bells are no longer as personally involved, as they were for decades. The current people in control don't have as much of a personal investment.

It's just a new era in soaps and if Y&R stays stuck in current pattern, its time at the top will be limited, it will be overtaken by soaps with more relevant actors and storylines.

I was actually a veteran viewer of about 20 years, I love the people who have been on this show for a long time, but I am frustrated at seeing the show stuck in the same formula as twenty years ago, there's hardly any difference. Nick and Sharon again... seen before, and their characters haven't matured much.

When Michael Muhney was on the show, I thought this guaranteed viewership for another generation. I am in my early forties and hoped I could look forward to watching this show into my later years as other viewers have. But there seem no new strong characters to carry it forward.

I have had to accept the situation and look to other soaps such as GH who are gaining more viewers in my age group and ex actors from soaps who have become too staid. I still believe in daytime as a relevant genre, but they have to adapt.

I'm not on this board much anymore, but I had to tell you that you have perfectly summed up what many people feel. I am in the older age group, but lots of us have done exactly what you have done. After watching this show from the very beginning, I can't stay and watch a slow death - it's too painful.

I am saddened reading both of your posts because I can truly relate to and understand where you are coming from. I have been a 20 yr viewer as well. Anyone who knows me knows I love my Y&R. I am often joked about because of it. I have been recording it for 15 years! I used to come home from school watching it. I do believe that the reason things aren't the same is because the new and recent writers do not have as personal of an investment in the soap as the Bells had. We don't have people on our side that wants the soap to succeed and be at its best potential anymore.
I wonder who can the viewers go to so they can get a response from those who sponsor Y/R. The show seriously has gotten ridiculously boring!!!

movinon

Postby movinon » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:23 pm

Quote Taralo: Nothing.

Maybe - but we could try Ed Scott, Michael Muhney, Michelle Stafford, Billy Miller, Melissa Ordway, Blake Hood, Sean Kenan, Thad Luckinbill, Tricia Cast, Thom Beirdz, Jeff Branson, John Driscoll, Stephen Nichols, Debbi Morgan, Darnell Williams, and Tonya Lee Williams. Barring this, you are probably right. Good writing might help.

Embrace

Postby Embrace » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:27 pm

Quote male yr fan:
Quote Embrace: For MM to surprise us with a return as Adam! I would be ecstatic! I don't think anyone misses him as much as I do!
I know MM really appreciate his fans but, I honestly believe that even if he returns the story writers will dessimate his character. I like all the actors because they try hard to do their jobs. They need a new production team period!

I agree 100%. The writers do not know how to write for actors of MM's claiber.

Embrace

Postby Embrace » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:34 pm

Quote male yr fan:
Quote Embrace:
Quote movinon:
Quote lynj: I think they have lost their vision, because I remember in times past yes this was a soap, but it was seen as good quality for the genre, progressive, with good actors.

Now it seems difficult to tell the difference between Y&R and the other soaps. If anything it's lagging behind other daytime shows in any 'awareness' storylines. They used to lead the way in this area - not anymore.

It doesn't help the the cast appear to have factions and be divided against each other - that spells disaster for any production.

Maybe it's because the Bells are no longer as personally involved, as they were for decades. The current people in control don't have as much of a personal investment.

It's just a new era in soaps and if Y&R stays stuck in current pattern, its time at the top will be limited, it will be overtaken by soaps with more relevant actors and storylines.

I was actually a veteran viewer of about 20 years, I love the people who have been on this show for a long time, but I am frustrated at seeing the show stuck in the same formula as twenty years ago, there's hardly any difference. Nick and Sharon again... seen before, and their characters haven't matured much.

When Michael Muhney was on the show, I thought this guaranteed viewership for another generation. I am in my early forties and hoped I could look forward to watching this show into my later years as other viewers have. But there seem no new strong characters to carry it forward.

I have had to accept the situation and look to other soaps such as GH who are gaining more viewers in my age group and ex actors from soaps who have become too staid. I still believe in daytime as a relevant genre, but they have to adapt.

I'm not on this board much anymore, but I had to tell you that you have perfectly summed up what many people feel. I am in the older age group, but lots of us have done exactly what you have done. After watching this show from the very beginning, I can't stay and watch a slow death - it's too painful.

I am saddened reading both of your posts because I can truly relate to and understand where you are coming from. I have been a 20 yr viewer as well. Anyone who knows me knows I love my Y&R. I am often joked about because of it. I have been recording it for 15 years! I used to come home from school watching it. I do believe that the reason things aren't the same is because the new and recent writers do not have as personal of an investment in the soap as the Bells had. We don't have people on our side that wants the soap to succeed and be at its best potential anymore.
I wonder who can the viewers go to so they can get a response from those who sponsor Y/R. The show seriously has gotten ridiculously boring!!!

I agree. I wish we could just get them to do their homework, watch old clips and scenes from way back when so they could understand the foundation, characters, and relationships, then have something to compare their writing to.

362chop

Postby 362chop » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:25 pm

For starters bring back Adam (Muhney) Please no imposters.Secondly no more recasting of the Billy role this dude Burgess Jenkins is the worst one yet.No Billy Miller so just send the character away. Lastly stop making Nick stupid and let's have a hand for Devon!!Since they gave him some sort of plot he's taken off and has shown he can hold an audience....Good for him.

roseofsharon1942

Postby roseofsharon1942 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:43 pm

Quote Broschart: What would make it great again-----
When Adam returns SURPRISE it's MM!!! Everyone has made up and all is forgiven. RATINGS would go thru the roof!!
I can only dream. But, since nothing has been posted to the new actor. Just maybe there is a surprise.
Another thing would be is to PLEASE start ending some of these story lines. Some of them are just getting boring and who cares anymore?? Like the music box?? Also Sharon's secrets. ENOUGH!! Let them go, let Nick find out already!
That would be great!! And lets not forget who really hit Dee Dee. Come on writers, do your thing! WRITE!! Leave us wanting more everyday. And please get rid of Colin, he is evil and always will be.

If Michael Muhney came back as Adam, I will never say a negative thing again about the producer and writers. Love me some Muhney. Maybe it is time to send another banner.

Embrace

Postby Embrace » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:12 pm

Quote roseofsharon1942:
Quote Broschart: What would make it great again-----
When Adam returns SURPRISE it's MM!!! Everyone has made up and all is forgiven. RATINGS would go thru the roof!!
I can only dream. But, since nothing has been posted to the new actor. Just maybe there is a surprise.
Another thing would be is to PLEASE start ending some of these story lines. Some of them are just getting boring and who cares anymore?? Like the music box?? Also Sharon's secrets. ENOUGH!! Let them go, let Nick find out already!
That would be great!! And lets not forget who really hit Dee Dee. Come on writers, do your thing! WRITE!! Leave us wanting more everyday. And please get rid of Colin, he is evil and always will be.

If Michael Muhney came back as Adam, I will never say a negative thing again about the producer and writers. Love me some Muhney. Maybe it is time to send another banner.

LOL! IKR!

Galazz

Postby Galazz » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:27 pm

Tons of money and that won't happen.

Embrace

Postby Embrace » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:09 am

This is a nice little Throwback clip

youtu.be/NuaQZCIg9fg

Return to “The Young and the Restless”