When did you start watching soaps and why??

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
Brooksie82

Re: When did you start watching soaps and why??

Postby Brooksie82 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:34 pm

I began watching because my ex-husband and I was going to marriage counseling. The therapist suggest that I take an interest in something he is interested in. He was a avid young and the restless viewer and so I started tuning in. We divorced eventually but by that time I was hooked on Y&R. Till death do us part because if this unbelievable and incredibly slow storylines haven't scared me away by now, I guess I am in it for the long haul!

Feliciena

Postby Feliciena » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:12 pm

I've started watching in the early to mid seventies when I became a stay home mother. I think it started with Days of our Lives, ATWT & did start watching AMC & Y&R from the beginning but stopped when I went back to work. When I went on second shift in the early nineties, I started watching AMC & GH & remember watching B&B & One Life to Live but not for long, the last two. Eventually I started watching Y&R again & stopped watching AMC a couple of years before they were cancelled as once they got rid of so many of their vets, I lost interest. Now I watch Y&R & GH only.

Soap Fan+

Postby Soap Fan+ » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:09 pm

I stared watching Y&R in July 1981 when I was seventeen. My girlfriend got me hooked on it. :)

bunhead

Postby bunhead » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:01 pm

My husband to be got me hooked on Y&R. Before that I watched GH but the spy stuff just got to be too much. We've been together for 27 years and I'm still hooked on Y&R.

gracie45

Postby gracie45 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:37 pm

I started with the Edge of Night, I was around 12 years old. Our family used to help an elderly couple out in their hayfields for a couple of weeks every summer. The woman used to disappear at a particular time, say 3:30 every day for just over half hour. One day she came back all in a flap exclaiming "Keith pushed Uncle Charley off the tower!!!" At first I thought she was talking about real people and when I realized it was a tv show I had to start watching. My parents got into it too, we watched "The Edge of" for years until it went off the air. Also Another World, Dark Shadows and Texas. I've watched Days at various times and Y&R. Also the classic night time soaps, Dallas, Knots and Dynasty. Those were the good old days of tv for sure.

baybay

Postby baybay » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:25 am

Gosh... way back in time. I first watched one when I was a little girl, visiting in the summer with my cousin. She watched As The World Turns and Edge of Night. They were only 15 to 30 minutes long back then. I then watched Dark Shadows and one day home sick from school back in 1963... saw the very first episode of General Hospital and I WAS HOOKED. :D Since that time I've watched several, all the way to today. I've watched Y&R as well as Bold and the Beautiful since their very first day.

DeevaCulver

Postby DeevaCulver » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:32 am

I was in kinergarten over 45 years ago!My mom used to watch The Doctors and Another World. When I got a little older I remember watching the first airing of All My Children. Over the years, I've watched EVERY soap to air. My favorite will ALWAYS be All My Children. In high school I used to schedule my classes around Y&R. My mom swore I never went to class! LOL

georgebailey

Postby georgebailey » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:45 am

I was home on spring break from college and I had just watched Love of Life with my mother. After Love of Life came on this brand new soap. I had never seen a soap from the very start. I was interested right away, the characters captured my attention. Brad Elliot and Sally made me want to tune in all week. I was then hooked. In the last 10 years I have been very disappointed, especially this past 6 months, but I keep on watching out of habit and the hope that it will get better.

IndyFan

Postby IndyFan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:17 pm

I started watching Y&R in Gr. 10 (30 years ago). A friend of mine watched it, told me it was a great show and got me hooked. She would tell me who was who and the back story of whatever was going on.

cymry

Postby cymry » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:55 am

Started watching with my mom in the late 50's. I got hooked on Secret Storm and the character "Amy" and Bibi Besch's role (?spelling) Also ATWT s/l with Meg Ryan as Betsy. Oh yes, I watched "The Gentle Giant", too. :-) I didn't get to watch in later years due to work. Thank you for DVR!!!

Return to “The Young and the Restless”