When did you start watching soaps and why??

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
taramartin

When did you start watching soaps and why??

Postby taramartin » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:29 am

A thread on B&B ( where are you from ) has begun to include this topic and it is interesting.

BobbiSox

Re: When did you start watching soaps and why??

Postby BobbiSox » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:44 am

I was 16 and went to my friend's house and she was watching Another World, and she said we couldn't go out until it was over, so I had to sit and watch it with her. I was hooked right away. I had to go to her house everyday because my mother wouldn't allow the soaps in our home. I think the soaps were only one-half hour back then.

deceived

Postby deceived » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:51 am

I was growing up in Detroit. And in high school, one day I came home and turned on the TV. 'Dark Shadows', was on, I was mesmerized. I would rush home everyday to watch that soap. Then, at a book store, I found 'Dark Shadows' books. And I still have them in my book collection...
After that I discovered Erika on AMC. Then, after I got married my brother-in-law got me hooked on 'Y&R' about 30 years ago...

calliope

Postby calliope » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:59 am

I go all the way back to b/w and 15 minute episodes of GL and Search for Tomorrow. I would walk home from elementary school for lunch and my mom would have them on.

villyforever55

Postby villyforever55 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:16 am

With my mother, and a b/w TV to watch Guiding Light, Search for Tomorrow and Love of Life, followed soon afterwards by Another World, ATWT and Secret Storm. There were so many to choose from way back then.

Supercouplevilly

Postby Supercouplevilly » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:06 am

Before high school, my sister wat8hed GH, I never got into it. I guess sometime after my parent's second divorce, I had the house to myself. I think it was Danny and Cricket that got me hooked, then I just watched all of the ones on CBS. I remember PB taking over as Jack, and I'm a little fuzzy, but I think there was different soap before B&B.

Paddy52

Postby Paddy52 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:13 am

My mother always watched ATWT. After she started to work she always came home for lunch and watched her soap. I started watch Y&R when my children were babies. I would watch it and rock them to sleep. Been a fan over 35 yrs. I don't watch as much as I use too lame S/Ls and poor writing, but I still read the recaps and post MO nearly everyday! Here hoping that things get better!

deceived

Postby deceived » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:13 am

The triangle of Victor, Nikki, and Ashley got me hooked on Y&R! When they would meet at Shick's cottage.

Layngel

Postby Layngel » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:17 am

I was in high school in the 90's and I started watching DOOL during Marlena's possession. I thought it was so soapy, and strange, and funny that it hooked me :D

Joy T

Postby Joy T » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:46 pm

When I was a little girl, my aunt kept me while my parents were at work. My aunt would make lunch and tell me to be really quiet while her "stories" were on. She watched:
Secret Storm
As the World Turns
Guiding Light
Search for Tomorrow

When I got older, I started watching ATWT and GL and got hooked. After college, getting a job and marriage,on, I added AMC and Y&R to my list and recorded all 4 soaps and watched them at night. I even got hubby hooked on Y&R as his man is the ruthless Victor Newman. He will say, let's go watch "Victor"! Too funny... :-)

Return to “The Young and the Restless”