Daytime vs Primetime - Slow Storylines

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
Coonfoot

Daytime vs Primetime - Slow Storylines

Postby Coonfoot » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:45 am

I've never started a thread of my own, but I feel the need to. I know a lot of people are complaining about slow storylines, but feel it's important to bring this up. We live in such a fast paced society now and we want our entertainment now, as is provided in Primetime. Weeks or months can go by in 1 hour on Primetime. Traditional Daytime shows (soaps in particular) cannot move that fast, because a lot of material scenes would have to be left out. Soaps have always been at a snail's pace, but I do recall that "back in the day" there would be some fast moving stories, while in the background, there were the real mysteries that moved slow. I wonder if the writers/producers went back to this style of story telling, would it make a difference in complaints. My opinion only.... but, I am liking the show more now than 1 or 2 years ago. I just hope that we don't start seeing the cheesy "outside" scenes like happened on Guiding Light and eventually got it cancelled. As a fan of Y&R, I don't want to lose my soap!

Ruby and Teddy

Re: Daytime vs Primetime - Slow Storylines

Postby Ruby and Teddy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:34 am

I don’t mind some moderately slow segments of the show. What I do mind is the slow moving segments that have no substance or interest. This May will be a year since Jean Cooper passed away. Her Will had been read shortly thereafter. To date, we know nothing about the music box except that Colin kidnapped Jill, tied her to a bed, they got married, Jill returns to the Chancellor home with Colin and some people in GC are annoyed with Jill because she re-married Colin. I see no interest here. Do you? There is just too much of this kind of non-sense going on in too many segments. Many viewers have lost interest and others have left Y&R altogether. I was an avid Y&R fan, but in the past two years or so, this soap has lost its bubbles and effervescence. I don’t think the show is well written nor do I think it well produced. It seems to me that storylines are without a story and lines are just thrown together at a moment’s notice with no cohesiveness. Many times scenes are shown and then I wonder how did this or that happen? Did I miss something? Others have complained of the same. I’m just disgusted with the way this soap is going. I give it less than 5 years before this soap is gone and the only thing left will be soap scum.

Little_Debbie

Postby Little_Debbie » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:49 am

Quote Coonfoot: I've never started a thread of my own, but I feel the need to. I know a lot of people are complaining about slow storylines, but feel it's important to bring this up. We live in such a fast paced society now and we want our entertainment now, as is provided in Primetime. Weeks or months can go by in 1 hour on Primetime. Traditional Daytime shows (soaps in particular) cannot move that fast, because a lot of material scenes would have to be left out. Soaps have always been at a snail's pace, but I do recall that "back in the day" there would be some fast moving stories, while in the background, there were the real mysteries that moved slow. I wonder if the writers/producers went back to this style of story telling, would it make a difference in complaints. My opinion only.... but, I am liking the show more now than 1 or 2 years ago. I just hope that we don't start seeing the cheesy "outside" scenes like happened on Guiding Light and eventually got it cancelled. As a fan of Y&R, I don't want to lose my soap!
Excellent post. Soaps always have a slower pace than primetime for all the reasons you've listed. The show isn't perfect, but I love it, and wouldn't waste my time watching it if I didn't. I find it entertaining, and it doesn't bother me if some story lines take longer to finish than others. Dropped story lines may concern me a little. We didn't have many of those in the past. Everything usually got resolved, and loose ends were tied up.
I find that with message boards on almost any subject, there will be those who are dissatisfied for one reason or another.

Sinny

Postby Sinny » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:15 am

Quote Ruby and Teddy: I don’t mind some moderately slow segments of the show. What I do mind is the slow moving segments that have no substance or interest. This May will be a year since Jean Cooper passed away. Her Will had been read shortly thereafter. To date, we know nothing about the music box except that Colin kidnapped Jill, tied her to a bed, they got married, Jill returns to the Chancellor home with Colin and some people in GC are annoyed with Jill because she re-married Colin. I see no interest here. Do you? There is just too much of this kind of non-sense going on in too many segments. Many viewers have lost interest and others have left Y&R altogether. I was an avid Y&R fan, but in the past two years or so, this soap has lost its bubbles and effervescence. I don’t think the show is well written nor do I think it well produced. It seems to me that storylines are without a story and lines are just thrown together at a moment’s notice with no cohesiveness. Many times scenes are shown and then I wonder how did this or that happen? Did I miss something? Others have complained of the same. I’m just disgusted with the way this soap is going. I give it less than 5 years before this soap is gone and the only thing left will be soap scum.

This is a great post.. I agree with you so much.. the show has lost its pizzazz.. the slow pace is toooooooo slow. I get that primetime has to be a faster pace but this is beyond a snail's pace.. the same thing is said over and over and over and nothing advances.. the show is boring..

Return to “The Young and the Restless”