Who is responsible for Sharon taking her meds?

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
KeepingItReal

Re: Who is responsible for Sharon taking her meds?

Postby KeepingItReal » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:34 pm

Quote JRTA:
Quote KeepingItReal: Is this a trick questions as it is the patient's responsibilty to take her meds.

But based on her actions it's obvious she is not well enough to even make that decision on her own and hence why she should be locked up in a facilty in which the doctor(s) could ensure she takes her meds and get gets therapy too.

Locking her up and forcing her to take meds and therapy won't solve the problem. Until the person accepts the diagnosis, until they have the supports they need, the cycle will continue. One of the reasons is a lack of understand of what living with a mental illness truly is like. There is no quick fix, and it is a constant battle. And even doing EVERYTHING right, a person can still fail.

She should be in a facility and monitored.

Again, I'm glad this is "reel".

KeepingItReal

Postby KeepingItReal » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:36 pm

Quote calliope: The thing is that Sharon knows right from wrong. She knows what she has done is wrong, that is why she has conjured up Cassie to talk to. She is completely able to act like she is fine when she is around other people. She does not want to take her meds because they don't make her feel like herself. She is responsible for not taking her meds. Her doctor cannot speak with anyone. And he cannot force her to see him. She can be Baker Acted if someone sees she is a danger to herself or others. It may come to that.

Cal, I'm sure her doctor doesn't know that she burnt down a house and did all those things.

Otherwise they would have her institutionalize...not a "self help" program...

There is no way they would deem her fit to walk the streets.....much less be in care of a young child.

trinilisa

Postby trinilisa » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:40 pm

Quote calliope: The thing is that Sharon knows right from wrong. She knows what she has done is wrong, that is why she has conjured up Cassie to talk to. She is completely able to act like she is fine when she is around other people. She does not want to take her meds because they don't make her feel like herself. She is responsible for not taking her meds. Her doctor cannot speak with anyone. And he cannot force her to see him. She can be Baker Acted if someone sees she is a danger to herself or others. It may come to that.

See, that's the thing. She turns it on and off so well that I'm not sure who would see her talking to Cassie (which would look like she's talking to herself). Noah and Nick already bought what she sold about taking her meds. (Well, now Noah knows the truth). And on Friday's spoilers, she plays Cupid...<smh>
She knows how to hide her "illness" quite well in front of others; some skillful form of "BPD" she's got...publically, she's got it under control without the meds...again, interesting....and convenient...

KeepingItReal

Postby KeepingItReal » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:43 pm

One set of pills would never of worked too...

Involuntatry committment is where this character is heading and the courts better see it this time.

Can't believe the judge last time when Victoria took her in and that idiot deemed her fit. (even though we all knew she wasnt....Mrs. "I Do" to Tucker) smh.

Unfortunatly, her doctor should of been seeing her all this time and she should of been on a combination of meds...

What a joke of a s/l when we have Sharon making very calculating decisions...and I've yet to see her "manic"...since drunk stance and burning down the house.

TxRangerFan

Postby TxRangerFan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:44 pm

Quote JRTA:
Quote KeepingItReal: Is this a trick questions as it is the patient's responsibilty to take her meds.

But based on her actions it's obvious she is not well enough to even make that decision on her own and hence why she should be locked up in a facilty in which the doctor(s) could ensure she takes her meds and get gets therapy too.

Locking her up and forcing her to take meds and therapy won't solve the problem. Until the person accepts the diagnosis, until they have the supports they need, the cycle will continue. One of the reasons is a lack of understand of what living with a mental illness truly is like. There is no quick fix, and it is a constant battle. And even doing EVERYTHING right, a person can still fail.

one little problem

this is not the real world and I do not watch soaps to be educated on mental illness!

in the real world a person like Sharon would be in a facility

but this is a soap and she can run amook and do what she wants and some believe it is never her fault

I do not watch soaps for lessons in morality or about religon, how to run a business, how to raise a child or medical diagnosis!

KeepingItReal

Postby KeepingItReal » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:45 pm

Sharon s/l sends the wrong message from thouse that deal with bi-polar.

There are real people out there that don't burn down houses, switch test result, etc.

She has the shop lifting thing down though.

LJMOM812

Postby LJMOM812 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:47 pm

Quote JRTA:
Quote LJMOM812:
Quote JRTA:
Quote mahina: In this bipolar situation isn't the doctor supposed to follow up on her patients? Some people (not all) with this illness need someone to look after them and unfortunately Sharon is all alone. :(

In the ideal world, the answer to your question would be yes. But this isn't an ideal world and this is a complex illness (nevermind that it's a soap, and it's about the drama). There is only so much the Dr can do, and only so much they can do in regards to their patient and getting them to comply with therapy.

The other thing is, the diagnosis is new. Less then a year. It can take years for an individual to find stability but first they have to accept the diagnosis of having Bipolar disorder and that IMO, hasn't happened here.

I appreciate your intelligent and rational posts, JRTA. I was also wondering about Sharon's Doctor. If a patient isn't making her appointments or seems to be off her meds., does the doctor need to inform family members? Especially with Sharon's history, i.e. the fire. I am wondering why we haven't seen the doctor in so long. This part of the s/l doesn't make sense to me.

Patient confidentiality still applies. Unless the patient signs off, the Dr is limited on what can be done. Unless the Dr sees an immediate danger, which she didn't in May, she can't force Sharon to do anything, nor can she discuss Sharon's case with family. I am Bipolar and I have to sign a consent to release with my psychiatrist and support worker yearly for them to speak to my husband and other care providers. I know it also took me two years to accept my diagnosis and take my meds and therapy seriously.

As for the Y&R, they will bring the dr in when it suits s/l, and right now, it doesn't. Drama over reality.

Thanks for sharing. I think so many people are ignorant of BPD--me included. I hope that once Sharon's doc is back involved, there will be some clarification and education on what she has been going through so the viewers will understand the reasons behind her behaviors. I thought I heard her doctor will be back on Friday--can't wait! Thanks again for being open about your own personal experience. I am sorry there is so much ignorance and insensitivity out there!

Yale Steam

Postby Yale Steam » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:50 pm

I posted this to say and point out that many of her fans are excusing Sharon saying this (all the stuff she has done) is not her fault. She is sick and off her meds.

Well, who's fault is that?

KeepingItReal

Postby KeepingItReal » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:52 pm

Gad this is "reel".

smh

Her doctor would of been monitoring her all along....So we have a mentally ill person walking around that is not being monitored?

trinilisa

Postby trinilisa » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:53 pm

Quote KeepingItReal: Sharon s/l sends the wrong message from thouse that deal with bi-polar.

There are real people out there that don't burn down houses, switch test result, etc.

She has the shop lifting thing down though.

Totally!

Return to “The Young and the Restless”