After that disrespectful funeral for Katherine....

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
Gideon58

Re: After that disrespectful funeral for Katherine....

Postby Gideon58 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:24 pm

I don't know if you're aware, but the current executive producer of the show is new to the position and I don't even think has been there a year yet. She knows very little about Y&r and its history so I was actually shocked that Jeanne Cooper/Katherine Chancellor's death actually got the attention it did.

On a Clear Day

Postby On a Clear Day » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:00 pm

I liked the tone and feeling of both memorial episodes and enjoyed seeing a few old faces from long ago. I just wish there had been more old cast members there. There were too few guests there to be believable, and when some spoke they went on too much about themselves or all the negative things about Katherine, or traded inappropriate jabs at each other. It seemed like the writers were using the service to fill in history for newer viewers. A memorial service usually honors a person and their good deeds more.

I liked the song Michael Damien (Danny) sang in the beginning of the 1st episode. I thought it was great playing in the background. It was good to see his sister, Gina, there also. They are a blast from the past.

I know most complain about the Y&R ghosts but I didn't mind seeing John and Kay pop in. Cassie may as well have dropped in too!

Corbin Bersen did a great job as Father Todd, Paul's brother. Knowing he is Jeanne Cooper's real life son, it was neat to watch him do the service and relate to the cast. You could tell some of it was genuine like when he and Paul hugged in Paul's office. It seemed like they knew it was the end of an era.

Kelby

Postby Kelby » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:50 pm

Quote On a Clear Day: I liked the tone and feeling of both memorial episodes and enjoyed seeing a few old faces from long ago. I just wish there had been more old cast members there. There were too few guests there to be believable, and when some spoke they went on too much about themselves or all the negative things about Katherine, or traded inappropriate jabs at each other. It seemed like the writers were using the service to fill in history for newer viewers. A memorial service usually honors a person and their good deeds more.

I liked the song Michael Damien (Danny) sang in the beginning of the 1st episode. I thought it was great playing in the background. It was good to see his sister, Gina, there also. They are a blast from the past.

I know most complain about the Y&R ghosts but I didn't mind seeing John and Kay pop in. Cassie may as well have dropped in too!

Corbin Bersen did a great job as Father Todd, Paul's brother. Knowing he is Jeanne Cooper's real life son, it was neat to watch him do the service and relate to the cast. You could tell some of it was genuine like when he and Paul hugged in Paul's office. It seemed like they knew it was the end of an era.

I liked what you said in your post about a funeral should honor the deceased good deeds. There was plenty of time before the funeral to show footage of everyone's interactions with Katherine, good and bad. Whether that be catfights, custody battles, drunkedness, etc. The funeral was not the place to do that. Major scr.w up of the writers.

Rebel556

Postby Rebel556 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:48 am

Thanks, Kelby. I think all of us could do a better job than the writers because we know the characters and how they think.

Monsoon

Postby Monsoon » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:39 am

Quote Homesick Cajun:
Quote taramartin: Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the last time we saw Danny when he came to town and slept with Cricket as though they were star crossed lovers? No wonder he looked sick at the Memorial /wedding. We've barely seen Paul with Cricket lately so I wasn't feeling the love. Paul is a good actor so he seemed to show happiness but it otherwise seemed like a misplaced farce. People in GC get married and divorced faster than any soap I've ever watched. I know they can't live happily ever after but they barely develop the relationships.

I don't think these writers are capable of writing a good love story. They are excellent at ripping couples apart for no reason. But a love story, nope, not in them.

They really can't write a love story.. or an interesting story for that matter.. they don't know how to write likable characters either.

lapue

Postby lapue » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:24 am

I thought it very warm and loving how they reached back and brought memories to us. I watch from a young child and the flash backs were great even down to the part that she would have said live life ask her to marry you talking about Paul and cricket as we remember them from years gone by. We also must remember her family is still grieving so I thought it fitting not to go to personal for them. As for her real son father Todd I know it must have been hard but also he was with her second family. Thanks y&r for a lovely memorial. :)

uncgrad80

Postby uncgrad80 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:06 am

Kelby, I am so sorry you and your father were so disappointed with the memorial(not funeral). I had stopped watching years ago but came back when Maura West joined the cast(let down from the writers). I had stopped again. I tuned in for the memorial. I thought it was one of the best tributes to a character and an actress. Katherine and Jeanne would have been pleased. The character was always honest about who she was. The actress did some of her best work as a drunk. I wish we could have heard more from Brock and I wish Phillip and Chance had come back. Otherwise, I thought it was wonderful. As for the wedding--from what I have read of this show lately, it was nice to have a non-violent service where no one was maimed, hurt or killed. Out of sorrow came joy. I told my husband that is the kind of memorial I would want.

Kelby

Postby Kelby » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:35 pm

Quote uncgrad80: Kelby, I am so sorry you and your father were so disappointed with the memorial(not funeral). I had stopped watching years ago but came back when Maura West joined the cast(let down from the writers). I had stopped again. I tuned in for the memorial. I thought it was one of the best tributes to a character and an actress. Katherine and Jeanne would have been pleased. The character was always honest about who she was. The actress did some of her best work as a drunk. I wish we could have heard more from Brock and I wish Phillip and Chance had come back. Otherwise, I thought it was wonderful. As for the wedding--from what I have read of this show lately, it was nice to have a non-violent service where no one was maimed, hurt or killed. Out of sorrow came joy. I told my husband that is the kind of memorial I would want.

Even in Katherine's honesty and frankness, I could understand the feel of the funeral in a great way. However, it seemed all very dis shoveled and unorganized. And that drove me nuts. All in all, I think because the show has gotten so bad in the writing department, there is no way it could have been a great funeral/memorial service. There were too many stupid retcon story, ludicrous family angles, messy stories and characters to conflict with it. The Christine/Paul wedding was foolish, especially since Christine is not even apart of the fold anymore. Not enough to matter. What did we care about their marriage. Paul's halfa.s apart of the fold these days. I think in any instance, the wedding was so far fetched, especially with formerly sick obsesssed, attempted rape/kill Cricket Michael being the best man. Get lost writers! On what planet. Each regime of writers keep perpetuating that bullsh.t friendship. Give me a kit kat. Love ya Katherine! That day should have been all about you. Even if Christine was really apart of the show these days, I do not know that I could have accepted a wedding and a funeral. The writing has to be spot on and for this show it is not. I can not accept bologna just because.

Return to “The Young and the Restless”