Which Actress Should Play the Recast Phyllis?

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
Hammmer

Re: Which Actress Should Play the Recast Phyllis?

Postby Hammmer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:32 am

Quote Embrace:
Quote valentinelane: :D I don't think Y&R should recast Phyllis. Michelle Stafford was "definitely the best" in portraying Phyllis. I believe Y&R should create a new character similar to Phyllis. I don't know what her backstory would be; however, you know soap opera's, she could be someone's long lost daughter.

It is really something the way MS came to Y&R and claimed the Phyllis character forever! She is amazing! NO ONE will ever play Phyllis as good as she did. I really wish they wouldn't recast.

I agree, no one can play Phyllis like MS did. A recast will have a rough go of it.

Deana4Villy

Postby Deana4Villy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:43 am

I accept that they want to recast Phyllis for the show, since her character is needed, and MS stated that she wasn't leaving the door open for a return. She made her decision based on what she wanted for her life, and I don't think that is changing. Plus, everyone is enjoying her web series.

But, watching yesterday, it hit me when the hand moved. It was not the long graceful hand of MS.

As for recasts, I know David Tom was loved as Billy, and when he left, it took some time to get it right, but they certainly did, in Billy Miller, and it may take time, but I think they'll find the right Phyllis too.

Homesick Cajun

Postby Homesick Cajun » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:25 am

Quote Deana4Villy: I accept that they want to recast Phyllis for the show, since her character is needed, and MS stated that she wasn't leaving the door open for a return. She made her decision based on what she wanted for her life, and I don't think that is changing. Plus, everyone is enjoying her web series.

But, watching yesterday, it hit me when the hand moved. It was not the long graceful hand of MS.

As for recasts, I know David Tom was loved as Billy, and when he left, it took some time to get it right, but they certainly did, in Billy Miller, and it may take time, but I think they'll find the right Phyllis too.

I agree. No matter who they bring in first that will fail. I think eventually the right actress will come along.

Not sure this regime would recognize the right actress for the part however. Will take a new EP to get it right. However, if we didn't have Phelps, I'm betting MS wouldn't have left in the first place...

Hammmer

Postby Hammmer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:31 am

Quote Homesick Cajun:
Quote Deana4Villy: I accept that they want to recast Phyllis for the show, since her character is needed, and MS stated that she wasn't leaving the door open for a return. She made her decision based on what she wanted for her life, and I don't think that is changing. Plus, everyone is enjoying her web series.

I agree. No matter who they bring in first that will fail. I think eventually the right actress will come along.

Not sure this regime would recognize the right actress for the part however. Will take a new EP to get it right. However, if we didn't have Phelps, I'm betting MS wouldn't have left in the first place...

Phyllis is needed but it will be a tough gig for whoever takes the job. Some recasts are hard to take. I can't see any Sharon fan being ok with a recast anymore than I can a Phyllis fan.

Homesick Cajun

Postby Homesick Cajun » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:36 am

Quote Hammmer:
Quote Homesick Cajun:

Phyllis is needed but it will be a tough gig for whoever takes the job. Some recasts are hard to take. I can't see any Sharon fan being ok with a recast anymore than I can a Phyllis fan.

I have never understood why in daytime they even attempt to recast characters. Unless it's for SORAS I don't see the need. Even SORAS is not always a good idea. But a recast of such an important character like Phyllis is destined to be an epic fail with this regime.

LJMOM812

Postby LJMOM812 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:45 am

Quote Hammmer:
Quote Homesick Cajun:

I agree. I think we are fans of the character because of the actor's interpretation of the character. With a different actor it would be hard to care about the character in the same way. This isn't to say that it is impossible, but I think it will take a really long time and a very talented recast (ie Peter Bergman). As a fan of Sharon Case, I am not sure I could accept another Sharon Newman.

Mexicantrain1

Postby Mexicantrain1 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Hands down, Gina Tognoni definitely. I agree that Michelle Stafford was the best possible and ONLY Phyllis, but if you MUST recast, Gina Tognoni could totally pull it off. She has just the right amount of class and sass. She has great fashion sense and could make even a burlap sack look good if she was wearing it. Plus she is beautiful enough to play Jack's lady--they would make a smashing couple.

Ericafan

Postby Ericafan » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:55 pm

MS is a hard act to follow but what about Cassie DePavia from OLTL?

Joy T

Postby Joy T » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:14 pm

Quote Mexicantrain1: Hands down, Gina Tognoni definitely. I agree that Michelle Stafford was the best possible and ONLY Phyllis, but if you MUST recast, Gina Tognoni could totally pull it off. She has just the right amount of class and sass. She has great fashion sense and could make even a burlap sack look good if she was wearing it. Plus she is beautiful enough to play Jack's lady--they would make a smashing couple.

ITA with you! Gina would be the perfect Phyllis. She was awesome on GL and I would love to see her on Y&R as Phyllis. They should have hired her instead of bringing in a character ( Kelly) to have sex with Billy boy.

aceedacee

Postby aceedacee » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:27 pm

Yes to Gina Tognoni :)

A poster in another board suggested

The Best of Gina Tognoni as Dinah Marler Pt. 1

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvr3XS5W-VM

on the tube

great actress!

Return to “The Young and the Restless”