Remembering Y&R's Jeanne Cooper

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
hopey pix

Re: Remembering Y&R's Jeanne Cooper

Postby hopey pix » Tue May 28, 2013 7:21 am

I agree Corbin writes so well!Is today her Memorial show?I have to tape it,as I have to soon go to work!I saw on our Global station on Monday,2 shows of Psych (on USA in US),there was the 2 shows,and Corbin has a part in it!I was pleasantly surprised to see this show of course!It's pretty funny!God bless Jeanne and Corbin!They are great!!

HOT PINK

Postby HOT PINK » Tue May 28, 2013 11:55 am

Hi, Everyone. Today is the tribute for Jeanne. I have my DVR set and ready to go. Corbin posted this around 10 am (EDT):

"Memorial week for my mom. Fitting after memorial day weekend for I suppose.

First up... A tribute show on Young and Restless today, then ending the week with her private memorial for friends and family. In between, God only knows!

This week I'd like to share a few stories about her with you, things you might not know or could have never imagined. I want all of you to be a part of this week. I think beginning next week I'm going to try and move on a bit. My wife suggested that I keep writing here but perhaps move back toward my life (which is always informed by the teachings of my mom anyway) and continue expressing myself, my thoughts and to some degree my work. I'm considering it.

But for now, this memorial week, back to mom...

This weekend I did a lot of building around the house, carpentry; a pergola and raised bed for vegetables most prominent. Worked with my hands. I've always loved working with my hands, a good way to get out of your head! Guess who taught me how to build? You got it, my mother! That's right, my mother, was an incredible carpenter! Seriously. Her love for woodworking and then masonry (yes, she could build you a brick wall, fireplace or bar with the best of them) actually began out of necessity. It's a much longer story but the short version is this; back in the late 50's my parents were a becoming a typical Hollywood "power couple." My dad was an up and coming agent and my mother was, well, Jeanne Cooper, rising star. They felt - I'm sure with the lead of my dad - that appearance was everything and thus needed to live in a place that "looked right" for an up and coming Hollywood couple. So along with me, like the Jed Clampett and family, they up and moved to Beverly Hills! But things weren't always so bright, right from the get go. Unlike the Clampetts, we didn't have an oil well back home supporting us. Word of warning to anyone considering the smallest job in the entertainment business - failure is far more common than success and the road to success is ALWAYS riddled with pot holes, steep climbs and quick decants. Bumpy to say the least. Translated; one day you got some money in your pocket, the next day you don't and start faking it real hard. That was us.

But my mom, as we all know too well, was a survivor. Even back then. So one day I came home from school and found her in our garage, tools in hand, building these Wine Chests for Christmas gifts for friends. Three holed, little stained wood boxes with a old world map on top stained with coffee to give it an antique effect. And they were incredible! To this day I'm not sure where she learned her carpentry skills but I did see her perfect them in that garage. I also began to help her in the production of the boxes. They were so well received she actually started selling them! Ahhhh Hollywood! Rising young star and son building Wine Chests in their garage to pay the mortgage! Ain't it grand! From wine chests she went on to little Keepsake boxes with various kinds of colorful art on top, each box painted a bright pink, orange or blue. My job was to put the tiny brass hinges on them. We had to give these boxes out as gifts to our friends for birthdays! That's all we could afford! Even the boys! Imagine the embarrassment. Little did I know then that they would become treasures for anyone who received one. To this day I'm still searching for either a wine chest or colorful keepsake box made by her! They would be collector's items! She began to sell the Keepsake boxes at our local stationary store in Beverly Hills - I think - to pay our bills! Again, ahhhh Hollywood!

By now she was getting very good at her craft and actually began remodeling rooms in our house! Yes, she would put up paneling, build shelves and even built our bar! Her work became very detailed and her "staining ability" was unsurpassed. People loved her work. Now remember, this is all going on while she's doing her other work - 'acting' Bonanza, Perry Mason and the rest. Weird, right? But maintaining the "image" was important - again, I think more for my dad - and expensive - so my mom worked hard to keep us up with the Jones'.

She began actually doing work for other people in their homes. She became quite an excellent brick layer, and at the time used brick was very in fashion. She built bars out of brick, fireplaces, patios, you name it, she laid more brick than... well, there's a joke in there but you can fill in the blank.

And that's how we survived in Beverly Hills. And to some degree that helped stoke the fire in my mom that helped shape who she was and became, the woman we all know and love. That simple girl from Taft California with a knack for acting who got by by building used brick bars for friends, neighbors and anyone who would pay enough so we could drive a new Lincoln.

My mother was an excellent carpenter. That's where I learned to build. So this weekend, when I put my hands to work, I could only think back to those times where my teacher, my mom, would lock us away in the garage and give me the most basic lessons on survival.

True story. Fond memory."

alikat

Postby alikat » Tue May 28, 2013 12:47 pm

OH MY, if you're watching the tribute and not crying, then you are s cyborg!!!

I loved what Josh Morrow said and what Michelle Stafford said...I always had a feeling that as a woman, Jeanne Cooper had that DAME kind of humor and outlook.

habbyfan

Postby habbyfan » Tue May 28, 2013 1:36 pm

^^^^^^^^ Wow ... is all I can say through my watery eyes.

Love you Jeanne Cooper and each and every day I will expect you to be there when I turn on The Young and The Restless.

HOT PINK

Postby HOT PINK » Tue May 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi, Everyone - I haven't seen the tribute yet; but, I recorded it and will be watching it tonight. I have plenty of hankies ready. Corbin posted this about an hour ago (EDT).

"Thank you all at the Young and Restless for that most amazing tribute to my mom. I'm moved beyond words and being my mother's son - with a love for words, lots of them - that's not easy to admit. You have been her professional family for almost all of my life, at least a good chunk of it. I knew the importance of her place there and her impact, but never as much as I know now. Your love for her is simply staggering. I often say things about her and sometimes feel like they are just passing thoughts. I know now they are solid, and far more real than the imagination of a son.

Oddly I also saw the extent of her talent which I sometimes had taken for granted over the years. I've always known she was a hell of an actress, I saw that long ago, but watching her now, through this compacted hour of work, as an actor I'm in awe. I've always said that the truest thing about my mom is just that, her truth. The line on the horizon, between earth and sky, heaven, simply don't exist. She is in both places at once, at one with all things and all people. That same rings true for her work. There is no line on the horizon that divides the woman from the character. Sure, the clothes, the hair, the make up and the jewels, but the soul, the heart, that's all her, nothing fake, no pretending, no acting... just being.

I suppose one of the sadder elements here is that we might suddenly disconnect; myself, my family from the Young and Restless family. I want to make sure that never happens. We are, in a way, all brothers and sisters now, children of this incredible woman, this unbelievable force, this enormous love; my mom, Jeanne Cooper.

No spell checking here, no grammar corrections, from my heart to all of you, unfiltered, unedited... the way she's want it. I love you all."

countryMomof4

Postby countryMomof4 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:20 pm

Oh thank you so much for posting these latest tweets. Makes me weepy again. What a fabulous woman!!

habbyfan

Postby habbyfan » Tue May 28, 2013 8:26 pm

The tears welled up several times during todays eppy.

I am sure there is more to come for this great woman.

I loved Chloe telling everyone Katherine called her little ho.

HOT PINK

Postby HOT PINK » Wed May 29, 2013 10:53 am

Good Morning! Here's Corbin's latest post:

"Up early with the sun and the birds this morning. My mom loved the mornings, one of many great things passed on to me. Continuing where I left off yesterday, recollections of my mom during this "memorial week" ...

Watching the Y&R tribute yesterday I once again realized what a wonderful actress my mother was. You have to understand, "inside" the family, she's was always just "mom." We knew she had this other life, but to be honest, didn't always plug into it. To be honest, I didn't watch much of Young and Restless over the years. I knew some highlights of what was going on and certainly the "big stuff"; face lifts, playing two characters and all that. But it wasn't appointment TV for me. Now to be fair, I'm not sure my mom saw more than a handful of Psych episodes either or much of what I did the years before that. We actors are odd like that, most of us. We love the work, doing the work, but watching it, our own and others we know, that's another story.

But yesterday, in a very condensed version, I got to see a career of incredible work from a gifted actor. And it made me think back to when I decided to become an actor...

I had done a small part in a movie that my dad produced called Three The Hard Way. In short, I was 19 and I got to make out with a hot girl in the back seat of a Rolls Royce, say a few lines to the legendary Jim Brown (Football player) and got paid $900 bucks! "This is the career for me," I shouted out loud to no one in particular! I went to my mom, who certainly heard some form of that exclamation, and said, "that's it, I know what I want to do, I want to be an actor, like you!" Now mind you, I had been "thinking" about acting for some time so this wasn't completely out of the blue and certainly had been inspired by my mom and her career. I had been blown away often as a kid watching her work, going to the sets - witnessing the transformations of character and place. Bonanza - the Ponderosa on a sound stage in the middle of the Los Angeles! Gilligan's island, a small pond in Studio City! But then the defining moment; I saw mom in the play The Miracle Worker at the La Jolla Playhouse when I was about 10. I stayed with her in La Jolla for the entire run - half to watch her incredible performance over and over as Annie Sullivan, the other half to collect coins out of broken pay phone nearby that nobody knew was kicking back each caller's dime in the return slot after they hung up. Suffice to say, acting, one way or another was in my blood and at nineteen I said, this is it! I'm an actor!

Not so fast....

I remember very specifically my mom measuring me up, really wanting to see if that was a "truth" - wanting to be an actor - or did I just want the money and the girls and whatever else comes with it. She waited a moment, continued to study me and then said, "you'll only have my blessing if you go to school, study it, know it. You must learn to love it and respect the history of it." Wow, all that just for girls... sounds like a lot of work I thought! But she had me right where she wanted me. And I understood it. It was a reminder of what I already knew to some degree and expressed to you yesterday... to become an actor is fine and dandy, to survive the journey is another story altogether. To know and respect the craft is THE ONLY THING that will get you through and over the bumps in the road. My mother knew that, she lived it and wanted me to know it too if that was to become my journey. She also didn't want people "in the club" who didn't get it. Screw them, stay out if you're not serious.

So, I looked her square in the face, truth time for me, and assured her that while some of the "perks" were certainly interesting, I truly wanted to act. I wanted to do that thing she does. I want to create those transformations, that magic. I very quickly left San Diego State College where I was majoring in partying and enrolled in UCLA where I got my undergraduate degree in Fine Arts and then my Masters in Playwriting. The best things I could have ever done - all courtesy of my mom.

There is one story from UCLA that this is all leading to...

I was directing a one act play I had written called The Devil's Violin. A tense piece about two brothers fighting for their mother's affection; one blind and without hope, the other with all the gifts God can give you; looks, intelligence and an ability to play exquisite music - the violin - but also a bit of a pompous jerk. Well, the play was a tragedy where the blind son associates the sweet sounds of his brother's violin with the devil, tormenting him as it lures his mother away from him and toward his brother. So there we are... it's opening night, 250 strong in the theater at UCLA and my play begins. I'm in the audience about two rows down from my mother who is sitting in an aisle seat just behind me. The curtain goes up and we're off to the races - 25 minutes of nonstop love, hate, anger, tension and conflict. All is proceeding perfectly as designed as we approached the climactic moment where the blind son, finally having had enough, the brother's violin screaming in his ear, destroying him... he's on the verge of killing his brother but restrains himself from attacking. Good triumphing Evil. And suddenly all goes quiet. You could hear a pin drop... just as I had fashioned... exactly...then, out in the darkness, two rows back I heard a voice whisper LOUDLY... "NICE." My mom! That gravely voice! Even in a whisper it was deafening and somewhat embarrassing, breaking the moment... not the plan!

But in that moment, I also realized something far greater... I had passed her test! I had worked hard to learn and respect the craft as she had demanded. I had succeeded in her eyes and now had her "blessing" to enter her world... And if not for that lesson, I know with great certainty I would have crashed and burned long ago. Thank you mom. Your legacy continues in me and all those you have nurtured who call themselves an actor."

Grendel

Postby Grendel » Wed May 29, 2013 12:29 pm

It was very well done. I recorded it and keep it.

Deana4Villy

Postby Deana4Villy » Wed May 29, 2013 9:21 pm

This special thread for this special lady should be at the front where everyone can find and share it.

Return to “The Young and the Restless”