Remembering Y&R's Jeanne Cooper

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!

Re: Remembering Y&R's Jeanne Cooper

Postby habbyfan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Quote Calypso: Thanks Hot Pink, for continuing to post CB's thoughts. I look for your thread and enjoy reading your posts.

You're welcome, Calypso. I love reading Corbin's messages, too. Kind of makes me feel closer to our beloved Jeanne. Hope you'll have a wonderful day!

I think about her everyday when I tune in to the show.

Thank you Pink for continuing to post CB's thoughts.

Postby jacksmyguy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:25 pm

Thanks for keeping us updated about Corbin HP. It's interesting to read his insights about how things have been going. From what he said, it doesn't sound like he'll be returning to Y&R any more since the memorial service for Catherine is now complete, but since he wants to continue to act there is still the chance he'll be back. That had to be so strange for him to be in character for those episodes while actually referring to his mom. My heart really goes out to him.

Postby luvroflife » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:28 pm

JC was amazing and set a standard that I'm not sure anyone will ever reach. She portrayed and brought to life a truly multi dimensional character! (Doubt we'll ever experience this again.)

Her family and friends have so many memories - and so do her fans!! Lets hold onto them.

Will miss her......

Postby HOT PINK » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:55 pm

Hi, Everyone. Hope you are all having a lovely Sunday. Here's Corbin's latest post.

"What an incredible day and night yesterday in Taft for the screenings of 25 Hill. But before that...

There's this long stretch of road coming of Interstate 5 (used to be off the 99) that heads toward a small town called Maricopa before you make a right turn to Taft. This road is about 15-20 miles long and as absolutely straight as they come. When I was a kid going to see my grandparents in Taft I would always look forward to the bee line of a street both because of the shallow dips along the way that made it like a roller coaster as well as that it was lined, on both sides (back then) with cotton. The wonder of cotton! We'd always stop, pick a few buds and my mind would spin... this is where my shirts come from!!! Human ingenuity! Intrigued the heck out of me! (I always took a bud or two back to share with my class for show and tell, and ALWAYS had the most interesting thing to share.)

As I got older the road provided another source of "inspiration." Effectively I learned to drive on this road. Now that mom's gone from the long arm of the law I can say this... Mom, I guess starting when was 13 or so, would pull over and allow me to drive this straight road. The only harm, if any, I could do was take out a few cotton plants. But that never happened. I learned to drive and for the most part, well, I guess, as I still have never taken out a cotton plant... to this day.

As I was driving yesterday to Taft, I suppose I had been so focused on showing the movie, that I had forgotten that I was heading to my mom's home town. Not completely, but my focus wasn't on that. Then, driving the long straight road I suddenly realized, and, in short, sort of lost it. I was suddenly uprooted from the present and for a moment, delivered back to those golden days. It was long lived however as the cotton plants are now long gone, replaced by Citrus, the California Aqueduct and even a new gas station. But for a brief moment, I was there, back then and heading to Taft and all the great lessons of community that were awaiting me. The fact that I was going to help a theater I spent so much time in as a youth, well, the big picture became even clearer.

And so there I was, now in Taft, with all the memories. I stopped by the old house my grandparents lived in, looked at the porch I spent so many warm evenings sleeping on. Yes, it was different, run down a bit, but still... there it was, the place where so much of my journey began. And now, here I was, showing a movie that I made. A movie named by my mom, a movie inspired by those care free days of community and family... and yes, faith. Needless say, a very big, full circle. The only thing missing of course, was my mom who I wished so deeply could have been there. I did feel her presence, how could I not, but still...

The movie was a huge success. Everyone seemed to really enjoy it and not only because it took place and was shot in Taft. I think it struck a cord with those who remain there, those who grew up in those days that inspired me. 2 sold out screenings to help the theater! We all came together and did a simple, good thing... for community, and our country.

My hope, and I'll address this tomorrow, is that I can continue to do this around the country, in other Main Street Theaters. It was just so rewarding. More to come on that.
Below is the marquis. I don't "thrill" in the fact my name is up there, been there, done that, but that my movie is. Right there on Main Street. Exactly where I want it to be.

(FYI - Jeanne Cooper was born in Taft, California, which is why Corbin chose to show the screenings of his movie there.)

Postby HOT PINK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:15 pm

Hello, Everyone. Here's Corbin's latest post...

"A promise...

Many have noted over time problems regarding my grammar and spelling here. I wrote it off to "staying true and honest - straight from the heart." Well, that will remain but I'm going to try and at least make an attempt to "clean things up a bit" before hitting "post." I'm doing this mostly because, after reading my post the other day regarding the Taft screening of 25 Hill, I noted that some of my "meaning" and storytelling was actually confusing. A little "edit" never hurt anyone or diminished the truth behind words. In fact editing can make often them stronger... so I'll try. I promise!

Along those lines, I stand corrected regarding calling the thingy on a cotton plant a bud when in fact it's a "boll." I'm sure I knew this many years ago but simply forgot. Never too late to learn, or at least re-learn!

Another promise...

I have been blown away by the response from so many of you regarding saving our Main Streets and those great old movie theaters on them. You recognized that this is one of the places where we all gathered as family to step into another world that reenforced the goodness of man. I'm going to start digging through your past comments and noting those of you who say you have theaters in your town, or drive-ins. But there's another motivation here, one I want to be very frank about...

Making movies like we do at Home Theater Films, at our budgets, is hard enough, but to get them out there... to you, the audience, is even harder, if not all but impossible. The reality is, there is SO MUCH noise out there - entertainment vying for your attention and hard earned money; other movies, television, books, music, games... that our efforts to at least "expose you" to our films is next to impossible. A quick short story...

When we released 25 Hill I was THRILLED that it would be in Walmart... America's store! I went there on the first day and didn't see a copy... hey maybe they sold out already! Fat chance. Reality was they hadn't received their copies yet so all my shouting about going to Walmart to get your DVD didn't pay off. It did finally get there, but man, was it tough to find. The day I went to look again the DVD was literally on the bottom shelf, half tucked behind another, older DVD, and there were only 2 copies! Ouch. Thought, "that won't move mountains!" Of course I moved them to the top shelf - something I'm sure to hear about here from angry Walmart people - but the fact was, the DVD's were essentially buried. Again, any shouting about it couldn't pay off. And that's the sad state of low budget, very independent movie making. Make your movie, it can be done, market it, sell it... that's another story...

So... I was thinking... If I could somehow "unite" these small Main Street Theaters across the country and create some kind of Network that I can interact with personally - like I do here - then maybe I can have a place where I can tell you to go to support the films - as they are meant to be seen, as a community and family experience. And here's the thing, the way I see this it's a win win. We also help the Main Street Theaters in that effort, keep them up and running, donating money to help them along the way. I could also bring other worthy family films to the theaters. Other directors and producers I know are just like me, somewhat stuck in this effort to get our movies seen. (Note: I'm in a terrific smaller movie right now called Gordon Family Tree - it needs to be seen!) Again, a win win for all to help these other folks and the movie theaters - and all of you to experience great family entertainment. More on this to come, and I suppose it all circles back to the whole "cooper's troopers" concept we began after my mom passed. Need to think it through more and maybe we can work together on this. I'd love to hear your ideas, or those of you who want to take a leadership role here.

I would love to hear from those of you who said you knew of a Main Street Theater or Drive In in your town that either needs "saving" or simply would like some great content. Let me know VERY SPECIFICALLY the details via our company email at the end of this post.

Also, many have asked again about purchasing some of our older films. That can be done at the link below; our store.

And last, but MOST IMPORTANT... if you like what we are doing - and I told this to the audience in Taft, then PLEASE tell friends about it. Share the information!!!! Like I said, getting the word out is extremely difficult. By you sharing it with family and friends, doing some of that outreach for us, not only do we accomplish the marketing task, but we do it the good old fashioned way; by community interacting with community. Family interacting with family It all comes back full circle.

Our store:

Email to let us know about Theaters in your town:

I'll close by saying I'm keenly aware that this goes beyond your kind shoulders to lean on as I did with my mom's passing, or your gentle ear to listen to to some of my "ramblings" about the state of our country and world. This is a "call to Action." But I PROMISE - the way I started this post - with an oath to not take your generosity lightly. I promise I will take your efforts here, whether by action or dollar, and turn them into things that can change the way we live and interact as fellow human beings both here in America and around the world. Like I told the audience in Taft... that's as good a picture of who I am as any....

I promise..."

Postby HOT PINK » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Hello, Everyone. it has been a while since I posted here. But, I thought you would enjoy Corbin's latest post:

"An inherited responsibility. After leaving my mom's house over the weekend I didn't really feel it, but I suspect she had the final word by pinning notes on my back -sending her son into the world with lessons to take with me as I move forward. As in life, in death she somehow found a way to share more great prescriptions for living. I didn't feel her doing it of course, but quickly became aware of their presence.

On Monday I was feeling rather extraordinary. Some weights lifting, the clearing and dispersion of her physical world coming to an end... a bright future ahead. And the sun was indeed shining, a fine autumn Southern California day, cool and sunny. I was about to meet new representatives who showed an enthusiasm to help me on the next legs of my career, both as an actor and writer/director. All great stuff. On the way to the meeting - I was a bit early - I wandered into a store and saw a magnificent suede coat. Tried it on. "Loose those ten pounds you vowed to do yesterday and this thing will look fantastic! Go ahead, but it. Price is a little hefty, but heck, you deserve it, you've worked hard all year, splurge. Beat... beat... beat...

Then that whisper in my ear, or rather one of those notes pinned to my back came alive... "You don't need it. Yes, it looks great, but really you can do without this." Mom? I took it off and laid it aside... actually hid it amongst the racks - it was the last one - so I could go to my meeting and then on my way back to my car afterward I could "consider it again." Fantastic meeting. Yes! I want that coat! I marched back to the store and found it undisturbed right where I hid it and tried it on again. Wow! Now I really want it. I think I actually started for my wallet and then suddenly stopped. That voice again. This time CLEAR - my mom. Inherited responsibility. Those are the words I heard but honestly didn't understand. INHERITED RESPONSIBILITY. "Don't buy it. Put it down and walk away. You do not need this. You still have kids in school and don't fool yourself. Sure, you can afford it and yes, you met new representatives, but there are no guarantees... And really, you have plenty of fine coats." Mom? Absolutely.

My mother worked hard her entire life and made a fine, still modest living compared to many others in the industry. (Hollywood) She lived a relatively modest life without all the perks and obsessions one assumes we in "Hollywood" always have. She did however manage to always earn just enough through hard work and shear determination to ALWAYS be there for us, her children and grandchildren if any of us came up a few bucks short. (You could say we were her obsession.) She was extremely generous in that way - always there if one of us needed to get past a shortfall. When she died she also left us each a modest gift. Astonishing really, considering she did this alone, on a Soap Opera where actors don't normally make what others on Prime Time TV or in movies make. Soap Actors work harder than anyone I know; longer hours, more days, for less pay. Not bad pay, to be honest and yes, often well above your average income, but still, not what one usually assumes is the case. But she did work hard and was not only able to help us but actually save a small amount which she shared generously with all of us upon her passing.

I had decided, well before she passed, that "death money" was something I'm not comfortable with, no matter who it comes from. And I never planned my future based on it. So it goes with my mom. Yet, there it was, a little chunk of change to do "something with." For me, it meant a little more freedom in selection of TV and Film projects yet the ability to maintain the high cost of education for my children. Nice way to use the gift. And yes, a few things around the house that always needed "a few extra bucks."

What the money DID NOT MEAN was a "suede coat that I didn't need just because I was feeling good on a bright, sunny day!" The note pinned to my back shouted out loud and clear now... you have an "Inherited Responsibility." Not just about money but ALL THINGS! From the lessons and wisdom she passed on to me, to the "things," and yes the money left to me, I have now "inherited a responsibility" that comes with those gifts, those treasures, those wisdoms.

So what does it all mean?

I will continue here, with you, and in my films to convey her wisdoms that so many around her benefited greatly from. I will continue to tell her stories. I will continue to focus on family and community. I will continue to march for love and point to a higher power (God - for me) as a way to get there. And yes, I will begin to practice a restraint that isn't always natural to me and sort out what I "want" from what I "need." A suede coat... beautiful. But is it being responsible with the gifts left to me, those I inherited from my mom... absolutely not.

I put the suede coat back on the rack, in open viewing for others to purchase and walked out of the store, lighter and better for it. The sun still shone and the crisp air felt more alive than ever."

Postby Houston777 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:37 am

God BLess Jeanne Cooper

Postby HOT PINK » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:50 am

Hi, Everyone. Corbin posted this about 12 hours ago. Jeanne is in my thoughts today, on what would have been her 85th birthday.

"Even with big events planned for tomorrow - mom's birthday - I'm getting a bit anxious about the day. Sometimes I just want to stop thinking... about all of it. So many great things happening in my life and I simply wish she were here to share it. Funny thing,... no matter how strong I think I am, how ready to "move on," how many words I write here about strength, love and faith, there are times none of it matters and I just want things to be the way they were. I'd love one more evening to just sit with her, talk about nothing in particular, maybe nothing at all, just be there. We had times like that, neither of us needed to talk, just enjoyed the each other's silent company.

As I'm writing this I'm looking into my fireplace and the logs are now ashes. But the fire still burns - the gas fueling a small flame. There were so many times I'd walk into my mom's house where she had no log on the fire, but still a flame burned. It always felt simple, maybe a little hollow, but simple. Then we'd sit there and not speak, just enjoying each other's presence. That too was simple, maybe a little hollow, but magnificently simple.

And the strangest part about it - how I'm feeling tonight? She was the one I'd go to in times like this. She's the person I'd turn to for wisdom about this moment, these feelings.

But alas that chapter is finished. So instead I turn my attention toward the fireplace and remember sweet, sweet times. Simple times, sometimes hollow, but ultimately simple... and oh so loving.

Big day tomorrow, time for sleep now and speak with you in the mooring - "God Willing" - as she would say."

Postby HOT PINK » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:36 am

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to my all of my fellow posters in the US. Corbin posted this a few minutes ago...

I woke up this morning, or rather entered into that realm of stirring toward awakening with a prevailing whisper breezing its way through my mind, perhaps even slowing the process... first Thanksgiving without my mom...
As many of you have said, while the entire journey forward will have a hollowness, a "missing her" for years, it's those "firsts" that have a unique impact.

My mother loved Thanksgiving. Why - because she honestly had so much to be thankful for and wasn't ashamed or too proud to admit it - openly. Above all she loved her family and I know she was thankful for that. This day is, perhaps above all, a family holiday - for better or worse. To celebrate the day when I was a kid my mother, and father for that matter, didn't just make it a family event. We always had 50 or more people over for the meal! Family, friends, and more often than not, people off the street, literally. I remember one fellow who worked the newspaper stand at our local market, Benny... a huge man, dirty hands, grossly overweight but perhaps the biggest heart of any single person I've ever met. I never knew where he lived, if he even had a place at all. So when he would arrive at our home on Thanksgiving his smile would light the place up and his sincere thanks for being included would illuminate the greater purpose of the day. On more than one occasion others like him would be there. I'm not even sure how they found their way to us, perhaps Benny brought them, but for me, while I loved what the day did to bring family together - seeing all our nearby relatives gathered in our living room where 10 tables were set up - I was more "inspired" by the faces of these men and women I didn't know and the fact that my mom would open our home to them - feed them a meal like any other in our family. There were, in hindsight, also our family. The family of my community. That is how my mother treated her neighbor, all neighbors... like family. That, amongst many of the things we've shared here is her truest legacy.

Today I will be saying Grace. It was always my mother who did it. Today it will be me - the torch has been passed. I will however miss her doing it for a variety of reasons not the least of which is that she was just a great communicator - able to put in her blessings all that the entire family was thinking and feeling... and then some! I will miss her "flair"... let's just say sometimes it went on a bit long - and I mean long - and she often touched the boundaries of good taste, danced near the edge if you will, trying to bring humor to it - a humor I know God always enjoyed - a breath of fresh and honest air. I won't be able to match that and won't try.

So I awoke today with a choice, one that I'll have to make in a month or so at Christmas which I fear will be the day I will miss her most. Do I sit in stillness and allow the sadness of missing her to overtake me, or do I do what she would want me to do - celebrate the day. Honor her by celebrating everything that it is meant to be. Of course the choice is simple and was abundantly clear by the time my eyes fluttered wide awake... Celebrate! Celebrate all the time I had with her, every second of every minute of every day of every month of every year. Celebrate the billions of seconds. And give thanks for it.

I so wish I had another Thanksgiving with her, but perhaps more than that, I wish that each and everyone of you who have been so magnificently kind to me - I wish the best for you and that the darker moments of your lives, like mine, will have illumination from knowledge and truth and love, God's greatest gift to each of us... Love. And I give thanks for the years with my mom and the time we have all shared after her passing.

Be well mom. I'll do my best to say a Grace that both is genuine in its obvious purpose but also perhaps makes you smile in its aim to dance on the edge - a place not unlike the absurdity of inviting a complete stranger, dirty hands and all, into our home for a meal with family. Those were the days!

Happy Thanksgiving to all."

Postby Sunnyflower » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Awww thanks so much for sharing Hot Pink.

Return to “The Young and the Restless”