Grammatical errors...

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
curtish

Grammatical errors...

Postby curtish » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:13 pm

When I hear the actors using incorrect grammar, I wonder if they know they are making mistakes, or do they just say it the way the writers wrote it, regardless if they know there are errors or not.

I know some actors are college graduates, so wouldn't they know about the very obvious mistakes made by the writers?

I guess my question is this: why doesn't someone----editor, director, writer, actor notice the error/and fix the problem?

reng

Re: Grammatical errors...

Postby reng » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:34 pm

Can you give an example? You don't have to name the character.
Today, I noticed when Chloe, Kevin, Daniel and Heather were talking about their secret, one of them said something like, "We have to keep that between us."
Obviously, since there were four of them, it should have been "among us." But I figure most viewers don't sweat that small stuff.

S-jae

Postby S-jae » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:40 pm

Quote curtish: When I hear the actors using incorrect grammar, I wonder if they know they are making mistakes, or do they just say it the way the writers wrote it, regardless if they know there are errors or not.

I know some actors are college graduates, so wouldn't they know about the very obvious mistakes made by the writers?

I guess my question is this: why doesn't someone----editor, director, writer, actor notice the error/and fix the problem?

Completely agree with you, the writers are using poor grammar and too much brit slang!
Hope the new writers are an improvement!

swisscheese1

Postby swisscheese1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:47 pm

I'd gladly live with the occasional grammatical error if they'd stop with the tired cliches...things like 'stay tuned for the deets'. aaaargh!

curtish

Postby curtish » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:53 am

Today, Daniel and Heather and Chloe and Kevin are talking.

Daniel says something to the effect of: "you can help Heather and I."

It should be Heather and ME.

Barbyboo

Postby Barbyboo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:43 am

A soap is not an educational channel. It's sex. Drugs and murder...or else we would be taking education classes in a local community college...who cares about grammar watching this or any other soap...

rediculous

Postby rediculous » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:22 am

Quote Barbyboo: A soap is not an educational channel. It's sex. Drugs and murder...or else we would be taking education classes in a local community college...who cares about grammar watching this or any other soap...

LOL, curtish does!!

reng

Postby reng » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:39 am

I do, and we all should!

Yikes, curtish, that was a bad one.

FaveFan

Postby FaveFan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:44 am

Quote curtish: Today, Daniel and Heather and Chloe and Kevin are talking.

Daniel says something to the effect of: "you can help Heather and I."

It should be Heather and ME.

EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE seems to be using "I" instead of the mandatory "me" as a direct object. It drives me nuts. I noticed it especially on the Bach/Ette shows. Do they not teach this most basic grammar rule in school anymore? It is very irritating to this 'old school' woman. :D

countryMomof4

Postby countryMomof4 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:48 am

Doesn't bother me in the least. I live in a rural area where most people do not have English as their first language. They make many mistakes when they speak.

I am more concerned with the social messages that the show sends as opposed to the proper language.

Return to “The Young and the Restless”