New: No Bashing Sharon Thread

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
Nezy

Re: New: No Bashing Sharon Thread

Postby Nezy » Tue May 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Moniker1979 wrote:
Nezy wrote:
Blue 501 wrote:Bravo, Nezy. There were some very rough seas for Sharon fans for several years. Some fans abandoned her. I stuck by her but some story lines were hard to defend even for old ride-or-die fans. I am so glad the writers are building her back up so well and that she is gaining fans again. Thank you.

Thank You. I get how bad it was for sharon fans for a while, but honestly she just wasn't written true to character. SC won me over with her portrayal, but the OOC writing of the character got to a point where it bordered on abuse. It was ridiculous how other characters could just use sharon illness against her. Therapist who were unethical, victor trying to tamper with her medication, nick and all his BS, serial killer Nikki acting all sanctimonious. That family has done sharon just as wrong as she did them, and thats one of the reasons why I loved what Sharon Case did with MAB's material. She gave the Newmans he!!, most women wouldn't have the balls, and it was well deserved IMO. The writing just became too ridiculous, and sharon constantly used a scapegoat just didn't interest me. Its been time to restore her to who she's always been deep down. Even when I wasn't her biggest fan I never thought she was inherently bad at all. She's flawed but she's always had genuine goodness to her that was authentic. Glad to see thats back, and that the sharon fans who stuck it out and stood by her have their character back again.

I'm STILL angry at previous writers for what they did to Sharon. I'm especially angry at MAB who started the destruction of the character. I've watched SC take on the role of Sharon since day 1 in the and Sharon was always a flawed character, but there was an inherent goodness to her. For 15 years, Sharon was a character who had an inherent goodness, decency and a sense of justice and though she made mistakes, she took ownership of them. Then MAB took the character and tried to destroy her for plot points. Bi-polar disorder is a mental disorder that can make a person act completely against their character, so I was glad when they explained Sharon's erratic behaviour by her having undiagnosed mental illness. But then they ruin it by making her mental illness yet another plot point, not to show a person struggling with this disorder, but to have her to some terrible things, thereby completely missing an opportunity to tell an important story about this mental illness. I was honestly flabbergasted in the last nearly ten years at the complete crapfest of storylines they have thrown at SC.

It's amazing to me that in all that time SC has handled all these terrible storylines beautifully, she hasn't gotten another Emmy nomination. Here is an actress who took a plethora of terrible storylines and surpassed the material, every single time.

Someone on another board mentioned it, but it bears repeating, that she noticed that soap operas don't even create super-couples anymore, just plot points. And that is when it hit me, why soap operas have been steadily declining. Writers don't care about actual storylines anymore or seeing which couple has great chemistry. All they care about is about plot point after plot point, because they think sensationalism is going to bring viewers in. They couldn't be more wrong, as the numbers demonstrate. What brings people in is a good storyline with characters who act like themselves. It's not dragging out stories endlessly or, if they don't work, dropping them and acting like they didn't happen.

It definitely isn't writing characters against type for no good reason. I'm glad that they are writing SC a lot better these days than they have in the past, but I just don't trust these writers not to revert back to form and pull another Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde with her.

I do think that most viewers weren't buying the position MAB & Pratt put sharon in. There were plenty of people who didn't care or didn't really like sharon initially who were fed up with her being the scapegoat. Which is why I feel Mal brought her back to who she always was.

I agree that the lack of build up and character driven stories fell by the waste side with LML, MAB, and Pratt. When you look at some of the best dramas around right now on regular television or amazon/netflix, what keeps people subscribing and hooked is the fact that those dramas aren't just about plot points, in fact its rarely about that, yet the ratings are high and the public loves those shows. Its unfortunate whats become of couples on soaps all b/c sex equates love, and triangles distract from the fact that those relationships aren't sustainable. This is what happened with Phick, as much as I liked the affair aspect of the story in the end they didn't have what it took to sustain as a couple, there was nowhere to go once the affair ended. So they used sharon and shick to create a rivalry to keep it going as long as they could, and although it was a good rivalry, it took away from everything that made soap pairings must see t.v and it cheapened everything that made genuine love and passion root worthy.

Moniker1979

Postby Moniker1979 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:47 pm

I'm STILL angry at previous writers for what they did to Sharon. I'm especially angry at MAB who started the destruction of the character. I've watched SC take on the role of Sharon since day 1 in the and Sharon was always a flawed character, but there was an inherent goodness to her. For 15 years, Sharon was a character who had an inherent goodness, decency and a sense of justice and though she made mistakes, she took ownership of them. Then MAB took the character and tried to destroy her for plot points. Bi-polar disorder is a mental disorder that can make a person act completely against their character, so I was glad when they explained Sharon's erratic behaviour by her having undiagnosed mental illness. But then they ruin it by making her mental illness yet another plot point, not to show a person struggling with this disorder, but to have her to some terrible things, thereby completely missing an opportunity to tell an important story about this mental illness. I was honestly flabbergasted in the last nearly ten years at the complete crapfest of storylines they have thrown at SC.

It's amazing to me that in all that time SC has handled all these terrible storylines beautifully, she hasn't gotten another Emmy nomination. Here is an actress who took a plethora of terrible storylines and surpassed the material, every single time.

Someone on another board mentioned it, but it bears repeating, that she noticed that soap operas don't even create super-couples anymore, just plot points. And that is when it hit me, why soap operas have been steadily declining. Writers don't care about actual storylines anymore or seeing which couple has great chemistry. All they care about is about plot point after plot point, because they think sensationalism is going to bring viewers in. They couldn't be more wrong, as the numbers demonstrate. What brings people in is a good storyline with characters who act like themselves. It's not dragging out stories endlessly or, if they don't work, dropping them and acting like they didn't happen.

It definitely isn't writing characters against type for no good reason. I'm glad that they are writing SC a lot better these days than they have in the past, but I just don't trust these writers not to revert back to form and pull another Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde with her.

I do think that most viewers weren't buying the position MAB & Pratt put sharon in. There were plenty of people who didn't care or didn't really like sharon initially who were fed up with her being the scapegoat. Which is why I feel Mal brought her back to who she always was.

I agree that the lack of build up and character driven stories fell by the waste side with LML, MAB, and Pratt. When you look at some of the best dramas around right now on regular television or amazon/netflix, what keeps people subscribing and hooked is the fact that those dramas aren't just about plot points, in fact its rarely about that, yet the ratings are high and the public loves those shows. Its unfortunate whats become of couples on soaps all b/c sex equates love, and triangles distract from the fact that those relationships aren't sustainable. This is what happened with Phick, as much as I liked the affair aspect of the story in the end they didn't have what it took to sustain as a couple, there was nowhere to go once the affair ended. So they used sharon and shick to create a rivalry to keep it going as long as they could, and although it was a good rivalry, it took away from everything that made soap pairings must see t.v and it cheapened everything that made genuine love and passion root worthy.[/quote]

I certainly did not buy it and stopped watching. The writing back then was abysmal all around.

I really hope they do not go to that old, tired, played out rivalry. Writers need to re-learn what made soaps great in the 80's and 90's, the passion and drama. Not long-dragged out plot point after plot point. There are four soaps left and if they continue valuing plot-point over passion and drama, they are not going to exist for very much longer.

Nezy

Postby Nezy » Wed May 16, 2018 12:45 pm

^ Yes the writing was terrible for almost every single character, and IMO its the reason why we are at a point with the show where people have given up on the show to a degree. I think LML, MAB, PRATT/JFP have all lead to me not tuning in as consistently as I once did. So much bad writing, OOC characters, confusing or down right stupid plot points for the last 10+ years has taken its toll. I feel for Mal, b/c although I don't like some of his storylines, at least they are more character driven and I can recognize who vet characters are again.

LDCOOL

Postby LDCOOL » Thu May 17, 2018 5:54 pm

I hope Sharon continues to help people. i love that. :mrgreen:

Nezy

Postby Nezy » Thu May 17, 2018 9:17 pm

I just hope Sharon continues not to tolerate people's BS and keep looking out for herself.

I haven't been tuning in much this week, and it looks like we are going to get some sharon and nick tomorrow. I'll be ready with my popcorn, b/c they are one of the few bright spots to the show right now.

Nezy

Postby Nezy » Fri May 18, 2018 12:13 am

Blue 501 wrote:
lindaj18 wrote:Have always been a Sharon fan. Both my sisters don't like her, but I defend her. I do that because she has never backed down from any way the writers ask her to perform. Many times, the writers put together some ridiculous(marrying Victor) stories, but like a trouper, Sharon plays whatever story they give her. She puts her whole self in it to make it believable.

That , to me, is a consummate professional. I have always thought Sharon & Nick belong together, even though Nick is a serial cheater.

They do make a beautiful couple. And yes Sharon is a great actress & a true professional. I am pretty sure that marrying Victor is not something the actress or the character would have chosen but she takes so much heat for that.

They do, and I really love the way Nick comes alive in his scenes with Sharon. She really does breathe new life into his character.

Nezy

Postby Nezy » Fri May 18, 2018 2:16 pm

Looks like we are getting Shick together again. Its going to be interesting to see what happens when everything about JT comes to light, and how sharon handles it when nick gets on his imaginary high horse.

I fell in love watching them today though. Turned everything else off, couldn't watch the whole show, but kept checking back to see when shick was on. I'm sure a missed a little and will have to watch online later.

Soaps91

Postby Soaps91 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:51 pm

Sharon Case has given all that she’s got given the storylines she’s had over the years. I’ve read a lot of posts on here regarding Maria Anna Bell’s portrayal of Sharon Newman. I haven’t watched during the Shick/Shack/Phick years. What really threw me for a loop, was the way Sharon just took all of Nick/Phyllis’ BS. First of all, what wife wouldn’t be tempted to beat the he11 out of the mistress who’s sleeping with her husband? Really?!?!

We saw Dru go all into full-blown knockdown drag out mode with Neil’s mistresses. Sharon just confronted Nick & Phyllis. No real divorce. Yeah, I get it. She slept with Brad & they had a full-blown affair JUST like Phick (Even though it was a One-Night stand, it still justifies what Phick did, so because Sharon had the audacity to turn to someone else, be it wrong, she should be punished.) Brad was only marrying Victoria because of her last name, so naturally, he was a gold digger. When she found out about Shrad’s tryst, she pulled a Nick (Slept with Grace after learning about Diego affair) & slept with JT, who’s returned 10 years later & has suddenly become an abuser, buried 6 ft. Under.

Shadam - I would’ve been all for a pairing IF the whole babynapping thing hadn’t happened. Shictor? Dylan? Too bland. Scott? Too much.

I would’ve written the Summer paternity storyline differently. Nick would’ve taken some, if not all the responsibility for his 18-year lie. He kidnapped Summer from Jack (just as some feel that Sharon kidnapped Christian) because he wanted to fill the void that he felt when Cassie died. He was the one who let her go out to “The movies”. But he didn’t know that she was actually going to an party full of teenage boys/girls & alcohol.

It was really Nick’s “Bear trap Lover” that lied all the way to her death about Christian’s true paternity. Sage saw that he was the brother of Adam (who was posing as her beloved Gabriel Bingham at the time). All that was forgotten once Sharon kidnapped the son she thought was Nick’s, but is now known as Adam’s, thanks to Chelsea.

People always go into the whole, "How could Nick even look at her? She's cheated on him thoughout the marriage & screwed the whole family!" Well, so did Brooke Logan. She screwed her way through the Spencers AND Forresters Plus more men, but Ridge still loves her & they have a destiny. So, why not for Shick? If Bridge & Niktor are destined to be together, then why can't we have ours?

Then there's the anger when Sharon's fans deflect. when they do this, they're attacked for viewing her as a saint, & excusing her for her actions. They get attacked for the "But Phyllis did this & more" comments, but they sure can dflect "But Sharon" when it comes to defending Phyllis. :roll: That just goes to show you just how good Michelle Stafford & Sharon Case were together. :D They did showcase the best rivalry on screen.

I really enjoy Sharon & Gina's scenes together, especially in the "Who killed JT?" s/l.
I hope that when the JT secret is revealed, like many have said, Nick understands that she was protecting his mom & sister.

LDCOOL

Postby LDCOOL » Fri May 18, 2018 10:07 pm

I'm loving the scenes with Sharon , Victoria , and Phyllis. :D :mrgreen:

Blue 501

Postby Blue 501 » Sat May 19, 2018 11:33 am

Nezy wrote:^ Yes the writing was terrible for almost every single character, and IMO its the reason why we are at a point with the show where people have given up on the show to a degree. I think LML, MAB, PRATT/JFP have all lead to me not tuning in as consistently as I once did. So much bad writing, OOC characters, confusing or down right stupid plot points for the last 10+ years has taken its toll. I feel for Mal, b/c although I don't like some of his storylines, at least they are more character driven and I can recognize who vet characters are again.

They lose loyal viewers when they take beloved characters & write them as doing such horrible things IMHO. If we cannot even like a single character, where is the incentive to have any loyalty to the show, right?

Return to “The Young and the Restless”