New: No Bashing Sharon Thread

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
User avatar
KateKate
Posts: 1428
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:21 am

Re: New: No Bashing Sharon Thread

Postby KateKate » Fri May 11, 2018 7:24 am

Nezy wrote:
Jenni22 wrote:I really hated the way the writers destroyed Sharon’s character before..... Always thought they would revisit the DNA swap of Summer and find it was someone else... maybe the Dr who drugged Sharon with the Sully storyline... I still hope they discover that Sharon didn’t do that or burn down the ranch. Both storylines were like the writers needed to wrap them up quickly and they drew Sharon’s name out of the hat... I hate when they give PHyllis and NIcki more ammo against Sharon. Hope this JT secret doen’t ruin what’s started with she and Nick. Wish they would just get together and stay together.... The writers need to get creative and stop breaking them up!


I find the paternity swap unbelievable and left open to be revisited. We never saw sharon switch anything or change anything about the lab results. I find it hard to believe b/c every other character that has tampered with DNA or the results we always see them doing something. All we got was sharon open the door to the lab, nothing else was revealed as far as I know.

Whats most important to me is sharon standing up for herself and not allowing anyone to determine her worth. So far thats exactly what she's doing. She's become a bad a** but at the same time has this ability to empathize and understand. She's not judgmental of people's mistakes, she was never really like this, but she use to allow other flawed characters to throw that in her face constantly. Sometimes what they were throwing was straight up lies, so now its time for sharon to give as good as she gets. She did that with Nick and when this stupid lie about J.T is Brought to light I want her to be fierce.


She's BY FAR the best female role model on the show.

lindaj18
Posts: 635
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: New: No Bashing Sharon Thread

Postby lindaj18 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:56 pm

Have always been a Sharon fan. Both my sisters don't like her, but I defend her. I do that because she has never backed down from any way the writers ask her to perform. Many times, the writers put together some ridiculous(marrying Victor) stories, but like a trouper, Sharon plays whatever story they give her. She puts her whole self in it to make it believable.

That , to me, is a consummate professional. I have always thought Sharon & Nick belong together, even though Nick is a serial cheater.

User avatar
Blue 501
Posts: 20438
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:20 pm

Re: New: No Bashing Sharon Thread

Postby Blue 501 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:06 pm

lindaj18 wrote:Have always been a Sharon fan. Both my sisters don't like her, but I defend her. I do that because she has never backed down from any way the writers ask her to perform. Many times, the writers put together some ridiculous(marrying Victor) stories, but like a trouper, Sharon plays whatever story they give her. She puts her whole self in it to make it believable.

That , to me, is a consummate professional. I have always thought Sharon & Nick belong together, even though Nick is a serial cheater.


They do make a beautiful couple. And yes Sharon is a great actress & a true professional. I am pretty sure that marrying Victor is not something the actress or the character would have chosen but she takes so much heat for that.

User avatar
Nezy
Posts: 3627
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:56 am

Re: New: No Bashing Sharon Thread

Postby Nezy » Fri May 11, 2018 4:24 pm

lindaj18 wrote:Have always been a Sharon fan. Both my sisters don't like her, but I defend her. I do that because she has never backed down from any way the writers ask her to perform. Many times, the writers put together some ridiculous(marrying Victor) stories, but like a trouper, Sharon plays whatever story they give her. She puts her whole self in it to make it believable.

That , to me, is a consummate professional. I have always thought Sharon & Nick belong together, even though Nick is a serial cheater.


I didn't like sharon for years until MAB started to clearly try to assassinate her character to the point where even I no longer could tolerate it. It was then, the way SC decided to take that crap of lemons and make such sweet lemonade out of the worst writing that completely changed my perspective of sharon. I saw a woman who took on the Newmans, didn't care about any of this crap anymore, SC made sharon fireworks IMO. At the same time I could still see the compassionate, humane, and decentness of her character underneath it all. I've always looked at that time as sharon just being fed up, add to the fact that she suffered from BPD it all opened my eyes.

My friends and I love Sharon now, and that was not the case in the past. She's become one of if not my favorite soap character outside of Phyllis and Dina. Sharon is a force to be wreckon with, yet she isn't loud about it. She doesn't have to be, b/c whats innately true of a character needs no introduction. I see her for what she truly is now, and I am a newer proud fan.

User avatar
KateKate
Posts: 1428
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:21 am

Re: New: No Bashing Sharon Thread

Postby KateKate » Fri May 11, 2018 4:37 pm

Nezy wrote:
lindaj18 wrote:Have always been a Sharon fan. Both my sisters don't like her, but I defend her. I do that because she has never backed down from any way the writers ask her to perform. Many times, the writers put together some ridiculous(marrying Victor) stories, but like a trouper, Sharon plays whatever story they give her. She puts her whole self in it to make it believable.

That , to me, is a consummate professional. I have always thought Sharon & Nick belong together, even though Nick is a serial cheater.


I didn't like sharon for years until MAB started to clearly try to assassinate her character to the point where even I no longer could tolerate it. It was then, the way SC decided to take that crap of lemons and make such sweet lemonade out of the worst writing that completely changed my perspective of sharon. I saw a woman who took on the Newmans, didn't care about any of this crap anymore, SC made sharon fireworks IMO. At the same time I could still see the compassionate, humane, and decentness of her character underneath it all. I've always looked at that time as sharon just being fed up, add to the fact that she suffered from BPD it all opened my eyes.

My friends and I love Sharon now, and that was not the case in the past. She's become one of if not my favorite soap character outside of Phyllis and Dina. Sharon is a force to be wreckon with, yet she isn't loud about it. She doesn't have to be, b/c whats innately true of a character needs no introduction. I see her for what she truly is now, and I am a newer proud fan.


I love this post, Nezy and Linda :)

User avatar
Blue 501
Posts: 20438
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:20 pm

Re: New: No Bashing Sharon Thread

Postby Blue 501 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:51 pm

Bravo, Nezy. There were some very rough seas for Sharon fans for several years. Some fans abandoned her. I stuck by her but some story lines were hard to defend even for old ride-or-die fans. I am so glad the writers are building her back up so well and that she is gaining fans again. Thank you.

User avatar
Nezy
Posts: 3627
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:56 am

Re: New: No Bashing Sharon Thread

Postby Nezy » Fri May 11, 2018 11:26 pm

Blue 501 wrote:Bravo, Nezy. There were some very rough seas for Sharon fans for several years. Some fans abandoned her. I stuck by her but some story lines were hard to defend even for old ride-or-die fans. I am so glad the writers are building her back up so well and that she is gaining fans again. Thank you.


Thank You. I get how bad it was for sharon fans for a while, but honestly she just wasn't written true to character. SC won me over with her portrayal, but the OOC writing of the character got to a point where it bordered on abuse. It was ridiculous how other characters could just use sharon illness against her. Therapist who were unethical, victor trying to tamper with her medication, nick and all his BS, serial killer Nikki acting all sanctimonious. That family has done sharon just as wrong as she did them, and thats one of the reasons why I loved what Sharon Case did with MAB's material. She gave the Newmans he!!, most women wouldn't have the balls, and it was well deserved IMO. The writing just became too ridiculous, and sharon constantly used a scapegoat just didn't interest me. Its been time to restore her to who she's always been deep down. Even when I wasn't her biggest fan I never thought she was inherently bad at all. She's flawed but she's always had genuine goodness to her that was authentic. Glad to see thats back, and that the sharon fans who stuck it out and stood by her have their character back again.

User avatar
Moniker1979
Posts: 2602
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:27 pm

Re: New: No Bashing Sharon Thread

Postby Moniker1979 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:33 am

Nezy wrote:
Blue 501 wrote:Bravo, Nezy. There were some very rough seas for Sharon fans for several years. Some fans abandoned her. I stuck by her but some story lines were hard to defend even for old ride-or-die fans. I am so glad the writers are building her back up so well and that she is gaining fans again. Thank you.


Thank You. I get how bad it was for sharon fans for a while, but honestly she just wasn't written true to character. SC won me over with her portrayal, but the OOC writing of the character got to a point where it bordered on abuse. It was ridiculous how other characters could just use sharon illness against her. Therapist who were unethical, victor trying to tamper with her medication, nick and all his BS, serial killer Nikki acting all sanctimonious. That family has done sharon just as wrong as she did them, and thats one of the reasons why I loved what Sharon Case did with MAB's material. She gave the Newmans he!!, most women wouldn't have the balls, and it was well deserved IMO. The writing just became too ridiculous, and sharon constantly used a scapegoat just didn't interest me. Its been time to restore her to who she's always been deep down. Even when I wasn't her biggest fan I never thought she was inherently bad at all. She's flawed but she's always had genuine goodness to her that was authentic. Glad to see thats back, and that the sharon fans who stuck it out and stood by her have their character back again.


I'm STILL angry at previous writers for what they did to Sharon. I'm especially angry at MAB who started the destruction of the character. I've watched SC take on the role of Sharon since day 1 in the and Sharon was always a flawed character, but there was an inherent goodness to her. For 15 years, Sharon was a character who had an inherent goodness, decency and a sense of justice and though she made mistakes, she took ownership of them. Then MAB took the character and tried to destroy her for plot points. Bi-polar disorder is a mental disorder that can make a person act completely against their character, so I was glad when they explained Sharon's erratic behaviour by her having undiagnosed mental illness. But then they ruin it by making her mental illness yet another plot point, not to show a person struggling with this disorder, but to have her to some terrible things, thereby completely missing an opportunity to tell an important story about this mental illness. I was honestly flabbergasted in the last nearly ten years at the complete crapfest of storylines they have thrown at SC.

It's amazing to me that in all that time SC has handled all these terrible storylines beautifully, she hasn't gotten another Emmy nomination. Here is an actress who took a plethora of terrible storylines and surpassed the material, every single time.

Someone on another board mentioned it, but it bears repeating, that she noticed that soap operas don't even create super-couples anymore, just plot points. And that is when it hit me, why soap operas have been steadily declining. Writers don't care about actual storylines anymore or seeing which couple has great chemistry. All they care about is about plot point after plot point, because they think sensationalism is going to bring viewers in. They couldn't be more wrong, as the numbers demonstrate. What brings people in is a good storyline with characters who act like themselves. It's not dragging out stories endlessly or, if they don't work, dropping them and acting like they didn't happen.

It definitely isn't writing characters against type for no good reason. I'm glad that they are writing SC a lot better these days than they have in the past, but I just don't trust these writers not to revert back to form and pull another Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde with her.

User avatar
Dexter Fan
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:49 pm
Location: winnipeg,manitoba
Contact:

Re: New: No Bashing Sharon Thread

Postby Dexter Fan » Sat May 12, 2018 3:32 pm

I still want to see Sam back for another chance with Sharon! They need her with a different guy rather than always Nick!! :) :)

User avatar
Nezy
Posts: 3627
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:56 am

Re: New: No Bashing Sharon Thread

Postby Nezy » Sat May 12, 2018 10:00 pm

Sharon's been with enough different men. When all roads continue to lead to nick then whats a girl to do, especially when he's someone she still loves deeply. I just think nick and sharon have something that is bigger than them, that makes them gravitate to each other. I finally realize, and can no longer deny that they have that combination of True love and Soulmate. Plus they tell great stories together, and when they interact the dialogue and the chemistry -- seriously they could teach a master class on how its done.


Return to “The Young and the Restless”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ms Ayers and 1 guest

Back to Top