Will Adult Kyle be first major gay character?

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
YandR talk

Re: Will Adult Kyle be first major gay character?

Postby YandR talk » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Quote mswadel:
Quote raindrop: I hope this never happens ! I would hate to have to find something else to watch on my lunch break!

I agree with this post. When they did the 'Nuke' story on ATWT it was part of the downfall of this once great soap. Luke and Noah were young and gay and thankfully they didn't show too much that would have been embarrassing to some of us older viewers. We know times have changed but is it really for the better to embrace all these unnatural relationships? And to bring it into the living rooms of America with summer vacations coming soon?

Are you joking? Do you think that teenagers don't know that gay people are alive and well in America.....and all over the world? Some of those teenagers that would be watching are gay themselves......maybe it would help them! Nobody is going to turn gay because they saw a couple on a soap opera! In fact most teenagers today are a lot more accepting of gay people or anybody else that is different from them!SMH! ~)

levann

Postby levann » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:55 pm

Quote YandR talk:
Quote mswadel:
Quote raindrop: I hope this never happens ! I would hate to have to find something else to watch on my lunch break!

I agree with this post. When they did the 'Nuke' story on ATWT it was part of the downfall of this once great soap. Luke and Noah were young and gay and thankfully they didn't show too much that would have been embarrassing to some of us older viewers. We know times have changed but is it really for the better to embrace all these unnatural relationships? And to bring it into the living rooms of America with summer vacations coming soon?

Are you joking? Do you think that teenagers don't know that gay people are alive and well in America.....and all over the world? Some of those teenagers that would be watching are gay themselves......maybe it would help them! Nobody is going to turn gay because they saw a couple on a soap opera! In fact most teenagers today are a lot more accepting of gay people or anybody else that is different from them!SMH! ~)

I think the bottom line is that parents will control what they want their kids to see in their own homes. If they actively choose to let them watch then they will probably also use it as a discusssion point. That is the way I interact with my daughter. I take the opportunity to explain what she's seeing and what I think about it (right, wrong or indifferent). Some choose to filter altogether. It's a different approach. One of the best stories they ever did on AMC was Bianca's coming out. They covered it from all angels not just the poor put upon Bianca but her mother, friends, family, public, etc. However, I do remember thinking that it was no big deal that she was gay. I also remember thinking that it would ultimately limit the character - which it did because she was never allowed to have the normal sex life of an average soap character. They tried to turn her into prototype lesbian with superior moral values (to me boring and in towards the end hypocritical) so be careful what you wish for.

richalan

Postby richalan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:58 pm

I hope not too. DOOL's ratings are tanking and they said the gay sl would bring in new viewers. What do all of the cancelled soaps have in common? When they brought in gay characters their ratings went down the toilet. Let's keep it the way it is on here now. And no, I am not a homophobe.

YandR talk

Postby YandR talk » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:02 pm

Quote richalan: I hope not too. DOOL's ratings are tanking and they said the gay sl would bring in new viewers. What do all of the cancelled soaps have in common? When they brought in gay characters their ratings went down the toilet. Let's keep it the way it is on here now. And no, I am not a homophobe.

Really? You could have fooled me! :|

levann

Postby levann » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:38 pm

Quote richalan: I hope not too. DOOL's ratings are tanking and they said the gay sl would bring in new viewers. What do all of the cancelled soaps have in common? When they brought in gay characters their ratings went down the toilet. Let's keep it the way it is on here now. And no, I am not a homophobe.

That's not true. AMC did very well in the ratings with Bianca coming out but that story was well written (Agnes Nixon came back to write it herself). The DOOL story seems to involve a character who is not all that likeable (Will) and who is using his coming out to a certain extent with malice against his mother (also not really likeable). There is, imo, a lot wrong with that show.

HeyMon

Postby HeyMon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:54 pm

Quote jimjay001:
Quote mswadel:

I was wondering how long it would take me to read through this thread before I was compelled to post. No, mswadel, heaven knows that we wouldn't want our children exposed to "unnatural relationships" on TV during summer vacation for fear that they may be turned gay. LOL. If it WAS that way, I would have been turned straight years ago watching all of the heterosexual sex on Y&R and network TV through my teenage years! LOL!

First of all, I think it's time for Y&R to have a gay or bi character. Preferably 2 or 3, so they can inter-act. It would represent society as a whole.

But as a hetero teenager back in the 80s, Y&R was excitement material. Diane modeling, Nikki stripping, Ashley just being on the screen, Lauren being...Lauren.

Now there's Phyllis in her tight dress, Ashley in her clingy sweaters. Not enough young girls on Y&R...Tammy Sursok as Colleen was gorgeously fantastic, but I don't want to come off as a dirty old man.

Anyway, what part of Daytime on Y&R is so heterosexually pure that our children have to be protected?

Countless straight couples having sex on their desk? The male rape s/l's of Chelsea/Billy and Lucy/Daniel? Nick's problem that he has to sleep with all of his dad's ex-wives? Daniel body-painting Eden? Now we have next week basically Victor, Gen, Nikki, and Gen partner-swapping while they are out in Vegas. So should I tell my 17-yr old to change the channel?

If Kyle comes in as a monogamous gay kid, with Rafe, or someone else, what is the big deal? 3)

jimjay001

Postby jimjay001 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:15 pm

Quote HeyMon:
Quote jimjay001:
Quote mswadel:

I was wondering how long it would take me to read through this thread before I was compelled to post. No, mswadel, heaven knows that we wouldn't want our children exposed to "unnatural relationships" on TV during summer vacation for fear that they may be turned gay. LOL. If it WAS that way, I would have been turned straight years ago watching all of the heterosexual sex on Y&R and network TV through my teenage years! LOL!

First of all, I think it's time for Y&R to have a gay or bi character. Preferably 2 or 3, so they can inter-act. It would represent society as a whole.

But as a hetero teenager back in the 80s, Y&R was excitement material. Diane modeling, Nikki stripping, Ashley just being on the screen, Lauren being...Lauren.

Now there's Phyllis in her tight dress, Ashley in her clingy sweaters. Not enough young girls on Y&R...Tammy Sursok as Colleen was gorgeously fantastic, but I don't want to come off as a dirty old man.

Anyway, what part of Daytime on Y&R is so heterosexually pure that our children have to be protected?

Countless straight couples having sex on their desk? The male rape s/l's of Chelsea/Billy and Lucy/Daniel? Nick's problem that he has to sleep with all of his dad's ex-wives? Daniel body-painting Eden? Now we have next week basically Victor, Gen, Nikki, and Gen partner-swapping while they are out in Vegas. So should I tell my 17-yr old to change the channel?

If Kyle comes in as a monogamous gay kid, with Rafe, or someone else, what is the big deal? 3)

Exactly. There are bigger things on this show played out everyday, in every living room to many kids that parents should worry about. If parents are so worried about the well being of their children and the effects of programming on the TV, they better just unplug the box.

Mrs. Sharon Newman

Postby Mrs. Sharon Newman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:58 pm

I am am 100% in favor of as much diversity as possible on our show and that includes sexual orientation. A gay romance would be no different to me that then all the straight romances, love is love and that's how I see it.

My only issue is I don't trust MAB and her hack job writing team and they would most likely screw it up.

Oh and to comment on the whole " our kids tuning this summer and its would harmful to them to see a gay sl" nonsense ~)
Let me point a few things out from my perspective

1. Our show has no teen scene what so ever to speak of and thats generally what bring in the teens so I don't think a lot of them are going to be spending there summer watching soaps

2. Lets say there is is a large number of kids watching, so its ok that that they are exposed to a bunch of grown men and woman who with screw anything that has a pulse and the opposite genitalia but they must be shielded from the gays!!! Twisted logic imo.

Do I think Kyle will returning as a young gay male......I dunno but what I do know is that if that were the case then just like nay other character I hope for the best when it comes to the writing.

tifa

Postby tifa » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:34 pm

Quote jilltidwell:
Quote Waterloo: Anything would be better than the crap that they have on now!Ok......bring on the gays! :D

No. Y&R don't need that.

Why not? I mean, gay people DO exist in the world? Why can't there be a gay storyline? Lots of shows have it?

tifa

Postby tifa » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:48 pm

Interesting, that you had to "state" that you are not a homophobe, after saying a gay storyline would TANK the ratings.

Return to “The Young and the Restless”