OT - Sr's Finally get a Soc.Sec. RAISE

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
FL senior fan

OT - Sr's Finally get a Soc.Sec. RAISE

Postby FL senior fan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Off topic, but just saw on-line today. Report from Wash. that seniors will get their first social security increase in benefits since 2009. Persons receiving social security will receive notice in Oct-Nov. about the 3.5% increase!
WHOOPIE...about time!! Of course, I do hear rumored that our cost for Medicare (taken from social) will also go up to $116 monthly.

soapgran

Re: OT - Sr's Finally get a Soc.Sec. RAISE

Postby soapgran » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:31 pm

Yep, Uncle Sam giveth and Uncle Sam taketh away...I'd love to see those Washington big wigs get by for just ONE WEEK on the little bit a lot of Seniors get for a month.

SuziDecorator

Postby SuziDecorator » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:32 pm

This is welcome news. I've seen some really awful posts saying SS people are all a bunch of freeloaders and don't deserve an increase, etc. My sister gets about $800 a month after Medicare is taken out. I'd love to see people try to live on that while paying rent, food, medical care (no, Medicare doesn't cover "everything") and other expenses. We have paid into the system - many of us starting work as teenagers - and deserve every single penny we get back.

soapgran

Postby soapgran » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:37 pm

Quote SuziDecorator: This is welcome news. I've seen some really awful posts saying SS people are all a bunch of freeloaders and don't deserve an increase, etc. My sister gets about $800 a month after Medicare is taken out. I'd love to see people try to live on that while paying rent, food, medical care (no, Medicare doesn't cover "everything") and other expenses. We have paid into the system - many of us starting work as teenagers - and deserve every single penny we get back.

ITA...I worked for nearly forty years and paid taxes the whole time (in addition to raising a family) so I feel as if I paid my dues...

FL senior fan

Postby FL senior fan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:37 pm

Right on! I really appreciate the support of this from
other posters (I live on my EARNED social security plus
interest from CD's)...it's difficult.
What really "hurt" was, while we did not get any increase for years, all the state and gov't employees/officals got one.

SanDiegoSteve_1

Postby SanDiegoSteve_1 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:45 pm

I am glad they are raising it some. I am on SS Disability, and for 2 years they have said that there was no change in the cost of living index, so no raise. How do they figure that, when prices keep going up and up, not to mention the $4.00 a gallon gas prices? I just received a letter telling me that I'm getting the same as last year, so I guess they didn't raise the disability, just the regular SS. Thank God for my wife's income and my student loans! I am hoping to get off disability as soon as my heart valve is replaced, and the cancer I recently found out about gets zapped, which is happening shortly!

soapgran

Postby soapgran » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:54 pm

Quote SanDiegoSteve_1: I am glad they are raising it some. I am on SS Disability, and for 2 years they have said that there was no change in the cost of living index, so no raise. How do they figure that, when prices keep going up and up, not to mention the $4.00 a gallon gas prices? I just received a letter telling me that I'm getting the same as last year, so I guess they didn't raise the disability, just the regular SS. Thank God for my wife's income and my student loans! I am hoping to get off disability as soon as my heart valve is replaced, and the cancer I recently found out about gets zapped, which is happening shortly!

I could never get how they figured the cost of living hasn't increased, when nearly everything I buy at the grocery store goes up almost weekly. I guess the fools never go shopping like us po' folks do, huh. I see u finally got thru' to post. Hope all goes well for u health wise. I thank God my medical bills are so very small at this point.

FL senior fan

Postby FL senior fan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:55 pm

Quote SanDiegoSteve_1: I am glad they are raising it some. I am on SS Disability, and for 2 years they have said that there was no change in the cost of living index, so no raise. How do they figure that, when prices keep going up and up, not to mention the $4.00 a gallon gas prices? I just received a letter telling me that I'm getting the same as last year, so I guess they didn't raise the disability, just the regular SS. Thank God for my wife's income and my student loans! I am hoping to get off disability as soon as my heart valve is replaced, and the cancer I recently found out about gets zapped, which is happening shortly!

-----------------
I'm sorry to hear this. God bless you and I hope you receive the best care possible in your cancer treatment. My neice just finished Chemo for liver cancer...and is now cancer free but will have to be on a maintenance plan; also takes Vit.D and green tea. Be sure you ask a Nutritionist for help also. Glad to have you in the Y&R family and on the board.

GoCowboys

Postby GoCowboys » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Seniors Rock! Especially my seniors at the Madella Hilliard Center in Georgetown, Texas!!!

HOT PINK

Postby HOT PINK » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:12 pm

I'm on SS Disability as well and a cost of living increase would be very welcome, indeed! I'm so sorry about your health issues. Please know you are in my prayers. Does anyone know when the increase will take effect? I'm guessing, since we're getting notified in Oct/Nov, it will probably be around the New Year.

Return to “The Young and the Restless”