Lost Kritters Refuge & Club House/No bash please

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
grammylove

Re: Lost Kritters Refuge & Club House/No bash please

Postby grammylove » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Blessings, Blue. Since your daughter is vegan/vegetarian, what do you fix? I don't see the usual turkey, dressing & gravy.
My daughter is working, so my sister and I are going to my favorite beach restaurant. Weather permitting, we will sit outside If not we will watch the waves from inside. Either way is fine with me. I do miss the chaos of littles around, but I am grateful for the memories. Merry Christmas everyone!

Blue 501

Postby Blue 501 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:29 pm

grammylove wrote:Blessings, Blue. Since your daughter is vegan/vegetarian, what do you fix? I don't see the usual turkey, dressing & gravy.
My daughter is working, so my sister and I are going to my favorite beach restaurant. Weather permitting, we will sit outside If not we will watch the waves from inside. Either way is fine with me. I do miss the chaos of littles around, but I am grateful for the memories. Merry Christmas everyone!

A beachy Christmas sounds delightful!
I fix tofu for them. I don't make a tofu "turkey" but I marinate cubes of it in ginger/soy sauce/etc then stir fry it & have rice or noodles & lots of good vegetable dishes. I usually have sweet potatoes, broccoli, etc. My husband says he does not want ham nor turkey b/c it makes too many leftovers with just the 2 of us so I may get a couple of good steaks for us. I have Key Lime pie for him for dessert. Vegan brownies for the "kids". I know V likes Key Lime pie. I had bought 2 for the holidays & he has already eaten them both plus a 50 oz pkg of assorted flavors of cheesecake. I need to cut him off. His mother was diabetic.
My brother offered to rent me a house at the beach for a month so I can recuperate from my current problems. It will be a winter beach though. But there are friends to visit & I could get up to New Bern to see the Palatine Papers (several of my ancestors came to NC with the New Bern colonists in 1710). And oysters will be in season. I hear they are over $100 a bushel now but a peck would make me happy without breaking the bank. When there are plenty, I could eat a lot more but it does not take as many if you eat a few hushpuppies with your oysters (& dip the oysters in melted butter & lime juice).

grammylove

Postby grammylove » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:17 pm

Okay, I am embarrassed to admit this, but maybe because I'm just a Southern California girl, you will forgive me ...

Someone needs to teach me how to eat oysters. Sorry, but I'm not a fan. I am told you don't chew them - that you swallow them whole, but then where's the taste/flavor?? I have friends who always order oysters when fine dining, but I don't know what to do with an oyster. I feel like I'm missing out on something, but skittish about trying/eating them. My mama used to buy the little cans and make what she called "oyster stew" for my dad. I would never taste it. I guess I need some advice, Blue.

Johnlives

Postby Johnlives » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:27 pm

grammylove wrote:Okay, I am embarrassed to admit this, but maybe because I'm just a Southern California girl, you will forgive me ...

Someone needs to teach me how to eat oysters. Sorry, but I'm not a fan. I am told you don't chew them - that you swallow them whole, but then where's the taste/flavor?? I have friends who always order oysters when fine dining, but I don't know what to do with an oyster. I feel like I'm missing out on something, but skittish about trying/eating them. My mama used to buy the little cans and make what she called "oyster stew" for my dad. I would never taste it. I guess I need some advice, Blue.

Well, I don't eat them either. Yes, you swallow whole but to me it's like swallowing your , sorry gonna get gross here, your mucus! I don't see the charm. Now, oyster stew is quite good.

Blue 501

Postby Blue 501 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:40 pm

grammylove wrote:Okay, I am embarrassed to admit this, but maybe because I'm just a Southern California girl, you will forgive me ...

I steam them just until the shells start to open. I like them fat & juicy but cooked enough to be opaque and I chew mine. Anyone who swallows them whole must like the idea of the oysters more than they like the oysters themselves. I am not that fond of oyster stew or canned oysters. I like them fresh & from the East Coast. New River oysters are briny b/c the River has two inlets from the Atlantic. Certain creeks produce oysters that have an herbal taste to them. They are especially good. These can be obtained in Beaufort, NC. I will not turn my nose up at Gulf oysters (if that is all I can get) but they are fat & a bit bland and require lime juice & melted butter, maybe even a dash of tabasco. In the old days we roasted them on wire over pecan & myrtle limbs set on fire and ate them with crackling bread (coarse corn meal patties with pork cracklings baked in them) & chased them with cola with home made whiskey in it (to fight the cold-oysters are in season in the cold months). I used to eat them raw too but I cannot now because of my immune system not being up to par & I really do not recommend it for anyone b/c there is so much pollution now. Maybe you should start with an order of fried oysters. They are usually good.

Blue 501

Postby Blue 501 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:49 pm

I had another cat scan yesterday to give a more complete view of my thyroid & parathyroid glands. I had to have IV contrast. I told the tech that my Durham doctors did not give me contrast b/c I have so many allergies (& I told them I would kill them if they made me allergic to oysters). He promised me that the contrast they use now would NOT make me allergic to shellfish even if I reacted to the dye. He told me that he was very allergic to it but could still eat his weight in oysters. It was not a bad experience. He & I had a lot in common & made each other laugh but I tried not to talk during the scan b/c this is so important & I did not want him to miss anything. I am glad I can still laugh at funny things even when I am so worried but sometimes my ability to make fun of myself causes doctors not to take me seriously when some of my problems have been deadly serious.

grammylove

Postby grammylove » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:27 pm

I'm sorry you have to go thru this Blue, after what you have already experienced. I will be thinking of you, and please let us know how this goes as you get results & hopefully feel better.

Thanks for the oyster advice! Next time at a beach restaurant - Fried Oysters!!

grammylove

Postby grammylove » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:56 pm

Trixie68, if you are out there, tell us how you are doing and how the December vacation went with your family. We are wishing you well.

Blue 501

Postby Blue 501 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:27 pm

Hello all. I am glad someone left a light burning so I could find my way. I am recovered from having 2 of my parathyroid glands removed. They are tiny little things but one of them was 40 times the size it should be. The roads were very icy on the day of my surgery but my driver, Valentin, grew up where it snows 9 months of the year. NC is the opposite. We mow grass 9 months of the year. Anyway, I was not worried but they did keep me overnight to get my oxygen levels up. NO CANCER!
My brother took me to the beach for 5 days & we had oysters 4 nights & grilled shrimp with slaw & hush puppies the other night. It was cold but enjoyable. He is interested in a plan to rebuild the oyster population of New River & we went to talk to a number of good people, some of them local boys who like him, grew up to be scientists & travel the world with interesting people. It would be a great thing. There used to be oyster reefs so thick that at low tide you could walk across creeks without getting your feet wet. Not only are they delicious but oysters filter the water & make it cleaner to the benefit of people & other species of fish. Wish us luck.
I am still trying to decide if I want to go for a month, mostly alone.

ThornsandRoses

Postby ThornsandRoses » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:15 pm

Blue 501 wrote:Hello all. I am glad someone left a light burning so I could find my way. I am recovered from having 2 of my parathyroid glands removed. They are tiny little things but one of them was 40 times the size it should be. The roads were very icy on the day of my surgery but my driver, Valentin, grew up where it snows 9 months of the year. NC is the opposite. We mow grass 9 months of the year. Anyway, I was not worried but they did keep me overnight to get my oxygen levels up. NO CANCER!
My brother took me to the beach for 5 days & we had oysters 4 nights & grilled shrimp with slaw & hush puppies the other night. It was cold but enjoyable. He is interested in a plan to rebuild the oyster population of New River & we went to talk to a number of good people, some of them local boys who like him, grew up to be scientists & travel the world with interesting people. It would be a great thing. There used to be oyster reefs so thick that at low tide you could walk across creeks without getting your feet wet. Not only are they delicious but oysters filter the water & make it cleaner to the benefit of people & other species of fish. Wish us luck.
I am still trying to decide if I want to go for a month, mostly alone.

Blue, "NO CANCER" is 'GREAT NEWS'! When I saw "New River", I thought of my years in NC and remembered hearing about the "Neuse River". I can't help but wonder if you are someone I met all those years ago when I lived in NC, because I know this. Whether we met back then using our real names or you are the person I've come to know as Blue 501, you are someone I would be proud to call friend in any circumstance.

Return to “The Young and the Restless”